Why hood blackouts?

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
So does one have to paint the whole hood for the benefit of this or could one say paint a checkerboard effect an dit still work. Plus you would have a space to play checkers when stopped:)

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
I am getting ready to do the flat gray which will match the Nissan gray on the Frontier via a vinyl sticker. I have heard the stickers are good for 2 years and only cost about $60.00 or so. I am not sure what the plans are for the truck come two years so I see it as being a cheap alternative to the paint. I am hoping the flat gray will work as well as flat black, we will see.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I don't know about the "car wrap" adhesive, but old school steeker adhesive penetrates the paint so thoroughly that to get rid of it you have to remove all of the paint. This is how I found out that my '67 Ranchero started life as a So. CA Gas Co. courtesy vehicle. Knocking the paint off the doors for a repaint revealed their flame logo. That adhesive saturated paint was really tough to remove, even with a 60 grit disc on a mudhog.

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
I don't know about the "car wrap" adhesive, but old school steeker adhesive penetrates the paint so thoroughly that to get rid of it you have to remove all of the paint. This is how I found out that my '67 Ranchero started life as a So. CA Gas Co. courtesy vehicle. Knocking the paint off the doors for a repaint revealed their flame logo. That adhesive saturated paint was really tough to remove, even with a 60 grit disc on a mudhog.

I was told by a person in the know, that if the correct adhesive is used, it is good for 2 years at which point it needs to be removed before this happens regardless of the vinyl quality.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So does one have to paint the whole hood for the benefit of this or could one say paint a checkerboard effect an dit still work. Plus you would have a space to play checkers when stopped:)

Checkers? How plebian. A real ExPo "Glamper" would play chess. :sombrero:

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
How about a car "wrap" just for the hood?

Actually, that's a great idea. A removable and not-too-expensive hood wrap would both diminsh the glare as well as offer an inexpensive way for us to customize our boring "Expedition white" vehicles. :elkgrin:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
:Wow1:
yes, but checkers is fastre to set up and play when you are on the move.
But that ok Martin, I understand that we are just "pawns" in all of this.:victory:

Hey, I can see a new product: Magnetic chess/checkers pieces for your checkerboard hood! Just leave them on all the time and have a continuing game that lasts throughout your entire trip! :D

(Edited to add: Of course the magnetic pieces wouldn't work on a Land Rover, would they? Don't they all have aluminum bodies?)

fowldarr

Explorer
That looks really good, I wouldn't have thunk it. I'm thinking I'll do my cruiser when i paint it. if I ever paint it. (been in primer for 6 mo.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal