Why hood blackouts?

racingjason

Adventurer
My Land Rover uses a large black circle on the bonnet to cut down glare though all the chequer plate on the wings just brings it back!

Tire.jpg

Last edited:

shogun

Adventurer
Actually, that's a great idea. A removable and not-too-expensive hood wrap would both diminsh the glare as well as offer an inexpensive way for us to customize our boring "Expedition white" vehicles. :elkgrin:

Perhaps good, but certainly not inexpensive. They (3M) wont warrant it in the SW US, and it lasts about 3 years.

mcm4090

Explorer
I am getting ready to do the flat gray which will match the Nissan gray on the Frontier via a vinyl sticker. I have heard the stickers are good for 2 years and only cost about $60.00 or so. I am not sure what the plans are for the truck come two years so I see it as being a cheap alternative to the paint. I am hoping the flat gray will work as well as flat black, we will see.

Why would it only be good for 2 years?

Bcghosttowns

Adventurer
I dunno maybe a silly question but here goes.Does the hood need to be a dark color or would the flat paint do the trick.I personaly dont like the look of a black hood on my white truck but if flat white would work the benefits far out weight my vanity.

Just wondering if maybe the flat paint reflecting differently than the factory gloss would be suficient.

XXXpedition

Explorer
i actually painted the hood of my cherokee in a black rubber paint - nice surface to put things (cooker, etc.) it's also not that slippery when you stand on top of your hood :) and it does reduce glare (especially when driving towards the setting/rising sun)

and hey, it looks cool, too :)))))))))))))))))))))))

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
So the best solution would be 1000's of tiny mirrors angled to reflect the light away from the cabin. ;)

One thing people should keep in mind "saving money" with stickers, many paint jobs fade over time, but it's so even you don't notice it. But peel off a sticker that's been on a few years and the paint underneath is much brighter than the surrounding area. So you may end up having to repaint your hood anyway.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
The snag with all the backout stuff is... if the sunlight isn't being reflected, it's being absorbed...

My feeling is this idea (black cars being hotter) is overstated. Yeah, it's probably a minor effect, but not worth worrying about. Mythbusters did a test, and found after 4 hours in the sun, a white car was 126 degrees, and a black car was 135. So, 9 degrees... yes there's a difference but, is it *really* worth worrying about?

Especially since we're talking about the hood here.

ShearPin

Adventurer
I did the bonnet on my Series flat black - taking the tire on an off the hood is hard on paint. Rattle can flat black is easy to touch up and doesn't mark easy. I plan on doing the hood on my 110 one of these days for the same reason.....

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

racingjason

Adventurer
Jason,

Where is that image taken? Morocco?

Hi Scott, yes it was in Morocco. We were on our way to Erg Chebbi that day. Resisting the hoards of guide offers we opted to follow the long line of tourist toting Defenders.

you know, there is black chequer plate...

It was there when I bought the truck so I did not bother to change it. In all honesty mine is not that shiny and does not pose a problem.

Jason

Last edited:

michaelgroves

Explorer
My feeling is this idea (black cars being hotter) is overstated. Yeah, it's probably a minor effect, but not worth worrying about. Mythbusters did a test, and found after 4 hours in the sun, a white car was 126 degrees, and a black car was 135. So, 9 degrees... yes there's a difference but, is it *really* worth worrying about?

Especially since we're talking about the hood here.

It's not the interior temp that's the problem, it's the bodywork being so hot you can burn yourself. I kept my bonnet and fender chequerplate in matte aluminium, and it was still pretty hot in the desert, but black on those big horizontal surfaces would have been incredible. Even the black bumper and bushbars got too hot to touch!

shogun

Adventurer
It's not the interior temp that's the problem, it's the bodywork being so hot you can burn yourself. I kept my bonnet and fender chequerplate in matte aluminium, and it was still pretty hot in the desert, but black on those big horizontal surfaces would have been incredible. Even the black bumper and bushbars got too hot to touch!

Shhhhhhhh! Just smile and nod. He's from waaaaay up north, what does he know about HOT?

:sombrero:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader

Ah. They get hot up here too, but I never thought it would cause a problem with burns. For real?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal