Why hood blackouts?

tibaal89

Adventurer
Sorry but that's 100% wrong.

I said 99% to allow for the possibility of people doing it for functional reasons... you are clearly a 1%'er! :sombrero:

For every one of you, there are countless other vehicles (cars and trucks alike) that have it because it looks cool. And there's nothing wrong with that, it does in fact look really cool!

user38324_pic2968_1234463154.jpg

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
snippage
Also this is nothing new, I have a book called "The Off Road Handbook" that was published in 1975 or 76 that talks about doing this, that's where I got the idea from.
[trivia]The author, who's real name is not "Bob Waar" (say that fast a couple of times and you'll get it) but had to write under a pseudonym due to contractual obligations, is a veteran of the very early NORRA off road races in Mexico. He is even shown finishing in the movie made about the 1967 race "27 Hours to La Paz".
By pure coincidence he is also the cameraman behind all footage of the Texas College Bell tower sniper of the 60's.
His real name?
John Thawley[/trivia]

More than likely he got the idea from Bill Stroppe, who probably got the idea from his former fellow La Carrara Pan Americana racers who likely got the idea from....

Scott Brady

Founder
The functional usage is reduced glare from the sun to the driver and reduced scattered light from roof rack mounted lights.

In reality, it is mostly done because it is Camel Trophy "cool"... similar to the limb risers and sand ladders mounted to overloaded roof racks with four non-functional driving lights ;)

4985_2493_overloaded-car.jpg

Momrocks

Adventurer
In reality, it is mostly done because it is Camel Trophy "cool"... similar to the limb risers and sand ladders mounted to overloaded roof racks with four non-functional driving lights ;)

Like first gen Discos on steel wheels? :clapsmile

Last edited:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I said 99% to allow for the possibility of people doing it for functional reasons... you are clearly a 1%'er!
I'm in the 1% also. In fact, mine is so practical I used a couple of cans of flat spray paint from the hardware store and some masking tape. Less than $10. Rather than the $75+ decal. ;)

Ron B

Explorer
I'm in the 1% as well I guess...I've been meaning to do it for a while. The sun can really be blinding when reflected off my ginormous flat hood during mid-day hill climbs. Almost drove off a cliff once because I couldn't see!

I think blacking out a hood is at least a bit more functional than NFL players (and little leaguers trying to look cool) with black under their eyes.

rb

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I'm in the 1% also. In fact, mine is so practical I used a couple of cans of flat spray paint from the hardware store and some masking tape. Less than $10. Rather than the $75+ decal. ;)

Yeah, not to mention, flat black paint doesn't fade either. ;)

I have lights on the roof, and combined with the way that I mounted them, I get ZERO glare off the hood with them on.

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Sticky...

We did the blackouts on our land cruiser using black wide grip tape from a skateboarding shop. That way we get the blackout benefits and a nice grippy path from the front bumper to the items at the front of the roof basket. Works great x 2.

Jay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal