WJ Build pics...

Tanto

Adventurer
JeepN95YJ said:
I broke one of the mounting bolts on the axle that attaches the swaybar when I installed a 2.5"BB from KOR last year. I decided to run without a swaybar and took it for a trip down the street. It was definitely too "squirrelly" for my tastes, so I drilled out the broken bolt and put it back on.

The tail of the Jeep still wags a little more than I would like with the stock swaybar, but it is much better than without for my preference.

It actually felt dangerous to me and I'm used to driving lifted SWB jeeps with soft springs and full lockers.

If you want it to ride true go with an ADDCO. I have one & I think it rides tighter than it did before the lift.

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

Ringin10,

Been a while since I've been on, nice lift. Do you have any pics showing details on how you ran the wiring for the lights on the roof rack. I have a 99 WJ with a Wilderness rack and want to run 4 lights but not sure of the best way to route the power/ground wiring and keeping it clean, yet trouble free. I already have the two switch locations done inside. Thanks.

Pete Wilson

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Looking good!!! How do you like the lift? I had for a very short time a 4" lift on my WJ which netted out to be more like 4.5". I did not like the way the steering felt, dispite OME steering stabilizer, adjustable track bar, allignments etc. It just felt very loose or nervous on uneven roads. I dropped the suspension to 3.5", dumped the adjustable track bar in favor of the stock one and I was as happy as I could be.

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
pete.wilson said:
Hey

Ringin10,

Been a while since I've been on, nice lift. Do you have any pics showing details on how you ran the wiring for the lights on the roof rack. I have a 99 WJ with a Wilderness rack and want to run 4 lights but not sure of the best way to route the power/ground wiring and keeping it clean, yet trouble free. I already have the two switch locations done inside. Thanks.

Pete Wilson

All the wiring/grounding was done under the hood for both the front & rear rack lights. From the battery/grounding area...I ran it underneath (forgive my lack of the proper terminology) the black plastic piece between the hood & windshield...and up through the moulding on the interior of the passenger door. From there it comes up at the top of the door, and I used black split loom w/black zip ties from the top of the door all the way to the base of each light. I'll post better pics in a bit.

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
Here you go....hope this helps!

Ran the wiring w/split loom up the left side...
S5030774.jpg

Here you can see the red & white wiring going from the exterior into the interior...the wiring was then run up inside the interior plastic piece where the handle is...
S5030775.jpg

...and this is just until I find a better way of making this look better...but you get the idea...
S5030776.jpg

This is all the split loom zip-tied to the roof rack...
S5030777.jpg

And here's a shot of the rear lights...just some sale brand fog lights I bought at a Kragen that were just sitting around in the garage
S5030778.jpg

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

Ringin10,

Thanks for posting those pics, that helps. How well does those Hella 500's light up the area in front of you, is there any glare issues? I was thinking of mounting 4 lights on mine facing forward and two back. Do you have anything mounted in the grille area? Thanks.

Pete Wilson

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
Since the roof rack is positoned back far enough to accomodate for the moon roof, there is zero glare whatsoever!

The lighting is great! I think I have plenty of lighting with the Hellas, my headlights, and the fog lights.

My next plan is to either save up $1000, find 1000 people to give me a dollar, or buy a winning lottery ticket (haha!) and buy a new rear bumper w/spare tire & jerry can swingouts! The bumper can also hold a high lift jack under the spare tire too!

*drool*

McWJsilver-486x361.jpg

Once the tire is off the roof...hmmm.....what should I do?

OK...so the same plan as above for collecting $ and I can get a roof top tent too!

Hey...I can dream, right?

Last edited:

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
Here's a good pic of how far back my rack is mounted with the lights...

S5030855.jpg

This is back when I only had a 2" lift on it, and no BFG spare! The stock spare on it looks so out of place!

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

That looks pretty good; I have the wilderness sport rack for mine with the tire carrier, hi-left jack mount and the shovel/ax holder. I wish it had more places to mount stuff like CB, Other radio's, lights up front etc. Not to mention Jeep's poorest design...wimpy size of tires for a stock vehicle! should be at least 265's.

Pete Wilson

P.S. I got your PM, I'm thinking it over.

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
Actually this thread has a GREAT idea for a CB radio mount I haven't ever thought of!

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6410

My CB us actually mounted to the passenger side of the plastic where my shifter is, and I just ran the CB wiring under all that plastic, under the passenger seat, and through the door molding, much like I did with my lighting...and it works perfectly!

Granted...the WJ looks like it was made more for the soccer-mom....with a little more creativity, and imagination than, say, building up an XJ, you can do almost as much inside a WJ without sacrificing the nice interior the WJs have!

As much as I think XJs are so cool (and TJ's too since I got to help build one up) I LOVE my WJ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online