XJ front end improvement

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
The XJ is a pita to build right and there is no easy way around it. This is how I did it thru trial and error and am very pleased with how it's working for me in the desert rocky trails.

To get my steering tight, resonsive and strong I had to stiffen the unibodies outside frame rail from the front bumper all the way back to the rock slider mounts. XJ's flex in this area and crack under the cowling from this flex. Luckily you can do this with aftermarket and eaisily fabed up parts. I fabbed a bumper off of a Detours offroad winch mount. Basically I welded 3x3 tubing to the sides and instant winch bumper with super strong frame tie in mounts. This mount goes all the back to catch the weak steering box mounting holes. http://www.detoursusa.com/xjbackbone.php

Next heading back you come to the weak factory track bar and mount. At the time T&T made the best and they may still be the best. http://www.tntcustoms.com/trackbarsystemmjxjzj.aspx

Fab time: Between the track bar bracket and the Detours bumper mount is a void that needs to be filled with 3/16 plate steel. This is as easy as cutting a cardboard pattern and cutting the steel to weld in place. Now we are all solid steel from the bumper to the track bar mount. Huge improvment in steering if you stop right here. Leave enough metal on top to catch the fourth bolt on a bigger steering box.

Behind the trac bar mount all the way under the cowl is the next flexy part of an XJ but these plates are precut and easily welded on to both sides. http://www.temper-mentalracing.com/TMR/Parts_and_Services.html

Now we come to the inner frame rails. Since the whole oudside is now beefed up there is little to do other than getting rid of the factory aluminium steering box spacer. C-rox makes one but I used a JCR one because again it catches the fourth bolt on a better steering box. http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2...OD&Product_Code=XJSTSPC4&Category_Code=XJMISC

Now your weaksauce unibody is stiff and strong. You won't crack it and the handling on the road or trail will be tight as a rock.

For Steering tie rod draglink and ends I use the Rock Krawler setup because it moves the tie rod on top of the knucle and is so strong you can jack the vehicle from it. It's bolt on and mine has endured many hard miles. http://rockkrawler.com/?r_intro=1

The steering pump on an XJ is weak and needs to be upgraded to a ported box and a smaller overdrive pully. This requires a trip or two to the parts store to find a shorter serpentine belt. It's a dramatic improvment and why some go with hydro assist before doing this simple mod is a mistake. They may not list a pump for your rig like my 98 but they have them along with the pullys.
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/Replacement-Pumps-87-95-yj-/

I would also recomend a steering box from them. I just replaced a worn out AGR superbox with an all new box from PSC and it's night and day better. It's a quicker turning box and the tight twisty sections of trail are really easiy to drive through with it.

As far as front suspension goes I will say this first. Do not put a penny into short arms. They don't work well and as soon as you lift it an inch the steep angle gives a harsh ride. Clayton makes the beefiest and still the best long arm kit period. Throw on some real Deaver coils cut to the height you want and you will have the suspension of those that race for just a little more money than off the shelf crap that does not perform. 3 links are not a stable or as strong so go with the 4 arm setup and throw away your swaybars. With the stiff springs and coils along with low ride height you don't need them. http://claytonoffroad.com/product_info.php/cPath/18_68/products_id/110

Aside from my recent steering box upgrade from the old AGR box to the new PSC box this setup has been flawless for me for 4 years of pounding with bistein shocks keeping it under control.

All of this aint cheap but over the years I have learned over and over that if I don't research out and find the best and strongest components I wind up with a mess that needs to be redone. On this setup I have outlined I can say that it's all been working great. The rear is just OME springs with about 4 or 5 leaves added along with the best shackels i could find. Thes have also been flawless over the years and worth a few extra bucks. http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/m...ES&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Leaf_Spring

Wow sorry so long and if anybody has a sugestion or knows of a better/different way to do it or a better products I'd like to hear about them.

mudbutt

Explorer
The steering pump on an XJ is weak and needs to be upgraded to a ported box......

Could you expand on this? Not sure what a ported box for a P/S pump is..... Or is this reference to a ported steering gear box?

Thanx....

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
The pump on XJ's is weak. The first thing you will notice is that if you are at idle RPM and need the wheels to turn in rough terrain the power will go away and the steering will get hard. You may just notice jerky hard spots when you are wipping the wheel around. Add a locker to the front and it's a guarantee that the stock pump won't turn the wheels unless you gas it or are moving along. In the mean time holding your foot on the gas and break at the same time will gain enough flow to help things along. If this is a problem then the first thing and cheap thing is to swap the pump. The ones listed at PSC claim they need a remote resivior but you can buy just the pump and use your plastic resivior. Just call them. they are great. Basically it pumps more fluid and porting the return line...if you can belive that is the main way to help these pumps. The pully is just gravey. It keeps it spinning a little faster at idle and for somebody who just needs a little more power when going slow then this would be the cheapest option. Plus you can allways put the new pully on the newer pump when you get to it. Allways remember to use a special puller and not a press to install the pully. Ask me how I know but PSC said no problem send us the buggered up pump back and we will fix it. They did and installed the pully for free. These pump tricks are the best kept secret for Jeep steering.

Next is the box. XJ's use a smaller box that only uses 3 bolt's to hold it onto a flimsy aluminium spacer then onto a sheetmetal frame. This is the #1 area of cracks on an XJ and fixing it before it fails is a good plan. The bigger box can use all that extra fluid and turn the wheels with authority and quickness you never thought you needed untill you get it. It's a lot faster and the wheel turns silky smooth. Expensive. Just installing the outer frame plateing I mentioned and the inner plate from JRC is a big improvment in preventing cracks and just as importanly stiffining up the feel of the front end. You can feel it. In fact I could feel the temper mental frame stiffeners as soon as I left my driveway as well. Others will say a YJ or durango box is good and it is because it uses all 4 bolt holes but it's a project to swap a box and do all that plating and you are not that far off with time and money from getting a real super duper quick and stronger box from PSC. If you order from PSC then LetzRoll offroad is the dealer with the best prices. 480-797-0469

bat

Explorer
I think an XJ is one of the simplest vehicles to make trail worthy. It is one thing to be a rock crawler but for a trail rig it does not get easier. I disagree on the 1" lift harsh ride, my ride did not change for me until over 3" lift. It all depends on your needs but right out of the box an XJ is well capable of taking you many places.

bldeagle10

Explorer
I think an XJ is one of the simplest vehicles to make trail worthy. It is one thing to be a rock crawler but for a trail rig it does not get easier. I disagree on the 1" lift harsh ride, my ride did not change for me until over 3" lift. It all depends on your needs but right out of the box an XJ is well capable of taking you many places.

i agree my xj is still stock till im done with college and its taken us many many places! and its stupid easy to work on and getting it to where i want it will be easy as pie, just as expensive as a gold plated pie...

great write up and ive now decided im going to do this ASAP. ive always known im going to upgrade the steering box and PS pump. but i didnt really think about the unibody frame rail stiffening. thanks for the info!

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
In the meant time you can check your steering box bolts. As the aluminum spacer gives and the sheetmetal cracks and deforms you can hear a creaking or poping under your feet when you turn. Thats the warning sign but be carefull if you tighten the box bolts. The 3 hole box puts those bolts under a lot of stress and they break. Loose box bolts is common. You get to them on the outside wheelwell opening. Go easy and just snug them up.

bldeagle10

Explorer
thanks for the info again. so you live in new river? i live in north peoria. not sure but did you post pix of your xj?
oh no you didnt on here. do you have any you can post up?

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I keep getting a database error when loading picts. I was able to post that one of my beat up head in the rollover thread and now it's back to database errors. If you ever want to ride some trails send me a PM. There are miles of cool trails here, table mesa and out hwy 74.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Itsgreg