Yet Another Bolt-Together Fiberglass Trailer Kit

jscherb

Expedition Leader
i'm hoping you go with...

benefit the many!

if not, then those two lucky individuals are truely - lucky!

joel

It won't really be my decision - if a company/someone isn't interested in bringing the kit to market, then it won't go to market. I have no plans to market it myself.

cjm

Adventurer
pretty cool grill conversion! I'm not a Jeep owner but that's nice! A lil ol trailer is nothin to manufacture compared to this:)

Ted_Z

Adventurer
Just an FYI, angular styled trailer fenders are readily available from several manufacturers. Their standard dimensions are quite close to the original M416 fenders. Here's one source. http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Fenders/Redline/J101936.html

Thanks so much!!

One last question - it looks like a rear flange wider than 1/4" would still fit in behind those brackets - what's the widest flange that would fit in there?

I'm asking because I'm trying to see if it would be possible to make one fender that would fit both the original M416 (bolting to the brackets as you've shown) and fit the fiberglass tub (bolting through the tub side without brackets). If the back flange can be wide enough to support bolts through the tub, then this will be possible and I should be able to get these fenders manufactured very reasonably.

Thanks again!
Jeff

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Just an FYI, angular styled trailer fenders are readily available from several manufacturers. Their standard dimensions are quite close to the original M416 fenders. Here's one source. http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Fenders/Redline/J101936.html

Thanks, I've seen the ones you've linked to. While the dimensions are similar, the shape is a bit different (more curved), so for someone looking for an exact replacement for a bad M416 fender, or someone wanting to build a fiberglass replica M416 and stay true to the original, it might not be close enough (for me it's not close enough).

M416FenderCompare.jpg

What I'm going for is three things:

1. The exact look of the M416 fender so they can be used as original-style replacements on M416's with rusted or damaged fenders.

2. Ability to directly bolt to the M416's fender brackets, but also bolt directly to the tub sides of the fiberglass tub.

3. A wider version of the same which will fully cover "Jeep-sized" tires for people wanting to use the same size tire on their tow vehicle and their trailer so they can share spares.

The engineering drawings I sent to my manufacturing contacts achieve all of the above. I received an email from them the other day saying I should have the price quotes today, but I don't have them yet. Should have the pricing soon.

NMBruce

Adventurer
You may be familiar with my first fiberglass trailer design, it's patterned after a Jeep tub:

Overland1.jpg

I built that trailer for fun, but designed it so that it could be a production kit. The kit is on the market now, in the size shown above and a longer 6' 6" version. I'm not a vendor, and I'm not selling the tub kits - after I built my trailer I licensed the kit design to a company that's now selling them.

Like your trailer, is it possible to get the name of the company selling it?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've now got manufacturing price quotes for the M416 style fenders. I don't yet know what the shipping cost might be from the factory (in the midwest) to wherever they'd be warehoused (depends on who might bring them to market), but the base quote provides plenty of room to add that shipping and still bring the fenders to market at a very attractive price.

The design I've had quoted allows the fenders to serve as direct-replacement fenders for original M416's - they would bolt to to M416's existing fender brackets.

The fenders could also be mounted directly to to tub side so they could easily be bolted up to the fiberglass military-style tub kit if that should come to market.

I've got price quotes for both original-width fenders (9.75"), and also "big tire width" fenders (12.75"), which would fully cover tires like 31x10.50.

The material is 14-gauge steel. They could be sold in raw steel or powder coated, but I'm thinking raw steel might be the way to go to keep cost as low as possible.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Bumpety bumpety bump

I've just finished the molds and first set of parts for my current project, the CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ:

FinalGlass1_zpsfdb8c5a4.jpg

I've got to finish up some stuff with that before I can begin the molds for the military trailer tub kit.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I was poking around in Harbor Freight the other day and came across a 4 ft. 6" x 6 ft. 6" camouflage tarp for only $2.99. Of course it isn't a heavy duty, thick tarp, it's fairly thin polyethylene like most of the HF tarps are, but it's the perfect size to be a budget cover for the fiberglass tub military trailer kit. Just would need a rope and a few tie-down points around the perimeter. Maybe a few bows from side to side in the tub to arch it up a bit to shed water.

TarpM72.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal