Yet Another Bolt-Together Fiberglass Trailer Kit

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Excellent!

With the wider fenders, is the trailer wider than a Jeep? (Or does that depend on the Jeep? My M416 seems exactly as wide as my YJ.)

My LJ is 68" wide. The tub is 59" and the flares are 9" in total (factory Sahara-style flares @ 4.5" each).

The narrow part of my tub design is 42". The fenders as I've designed them are 12.75" wide x 2 = 25.5" + 42" = 67.5" - so basically the same width as the Jeep.

A YJ with factory flares might be about 67". JK Jeeps are a bit wider.

M35A2

Tinkerer
My LJ is 68" wide. The tub is 59" and the flares are 9" in total (factory Sahara-style flares @ 4.5" each).

The narrow part of my tub design is 42". The fenders as I've designed them are 12.75" wide x 2 = 25.5" + 42" = 67.5" - so basically the same width as the Jeep.

A YJ with factory flares might be about 67". JK Jeeps are a bit wider.

Sounds perfect.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Other commitments have been pushing the start of mold construction back a bit - I spent the last week away at the SEMA show in Las Vegas, and this coming week I'm doing a test install of the CJ Grille Kit on my LJ. When that test install is done, I should be able to start the mold construction for the new tub kit.

I did get sidetracked for a few weeks on a project idea that developed out of the CJ Grille Kit work - it's called the "Cool Cowl", it's a bolt-on cold-air intake cowl panel for the TJ/LJ Wrangler:

CoolCowl1-1.jpg

Sometimes I'll get a project idea and just have to run with it because it sounds like fun to do, and in the case of the Cool Cowl I wanted to get it done before SEMA.

But back to the military tub kit - things are moving along...

In the last week I have finalized the mold design details for the tub kit parts, and based on the design I don't expect the building of the master parts and the construction of the molds based on those parts to take too long.

I also finalized the tub reinforcement design; I've design the tub to be very strong and capable of supporting trailer-top tent platforms and other heavy loads above the tub. It also won't have the weak sides issue that military-style trailers which have tailgates cut into them often have - the tailgate opening will be very rigid.

This past week I got final pricing for the steel M416-style fenders I designed a while back, so those can now be manufactured if necessary.

While at SEMA I met with people from a company I've done business with before that manufactures diamond-plate storage boxes; I've got an idea for a new design tongue box for this trailer and I wanted to get feedback from them on the design concept.

And I've been collecting a few bits and pieces for the build of the first tub kit to come out of the molds. The molds will be able to make tubs of any length from up to 6' 6". (Actually I'm considering making the molds capable of any length tub up to 8', but I'm not sure there would ever be a need for one longer than about 6').

I plan for the first prototype to come out of the molds to be a 6' version and I plan to finish it in a military theme, including O.D. paint, military lights, military markings, etc. I've talked to my local auto paint supplier about doing color-matched O.D. single-stage paint and O.D. bed liner. The only detail of the first prototype I haven't decided on is whether to use the angular M416-style fenders or rounded M100-style fenders.

So things are moving along, I definitely plan to do the project, just finishing up a few other things first :).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've previously posted this photo/drawing of the military trailer tub kit outfitted with a Harbor Freight tongue box and two jerry cans:

ModelCans4.jpg

The HF box is fairly small and I don't think in combination with the jerry cans it uses the tongue space very well. So I've been working on a different tongue box/jerry can idea:

72TongueBox1.jpg

It's got a tub-width base tray, which in this model I've made from diamond plate (well, cardstock printed to simulate diamond plate :)). It could also be made from steel angle or from flat sheet metal folded into angles.

The box is sized to be a little lower than the height of the tub and a proper width to allow it to share the space in the tray with two jerry cans. This box is 27" wide, 18" high by 15" front-to-back. There could also be a wider box that would share the tray with one jerry can, that one would be about 34" wide.

72TongueBox3.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The new design tongue box also would work well with the 48" version of the military tub, but if you built the trailer on the Harbor Freight Mini Trailer as this model was, you'd probably want to lengthen the tongue a bit.

48TongueBox1.jpg

48TongueBox2.jpg

Fresno

Adventurer
I am sure you posted the dimensions somewhere in the thread but I can't find it. I am interested in seeing the model with 1:1 scale measurements.

I am curious if it could be widened and stretched to fit a M1102 chassis.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I am sure you posted the dimensions somewhere in the thread but I can't find it. I am interested in seeing the model with 1:1 scale measurements.

I am curious if it could be widened and stretched to fit a M1102 chassis.

The tub side panel molds I plan to make will be able to build tubs up to either 6'6" or 8" long (I haven't decided on the final length of the side panel mold yet, input on that is welcome). The width of the tub is similar to the M100 and M416 trailers but not exactly the same - the top width is just under 48" so that a standard sheet of plywood could be used to build a hard cover. The bottom width is about 41", so it easy fits within the tires of a Harbor Freight frame kit.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Any updates?

The good news: late last month I finalized the design for the mold masters and the molds for this tub, and I drafted the project plan for building them. I also have been acquiring the supplies necessary for building the prototype trailer as well as some accessories for the prototype trailer that I haven't posted yet.

The bad news: on the 11th of this month I had a bicycle accident that left me with a broken clavicle, a number of skull fractures and a few other sundry injuries. According to the doctors, I'm healing very quickly, and today I had surgery to install a plate in my shoulder to facilitate full healing of the clavicle. That doctor says I will make a full recovery but it will be several months.

So... this trailer project is on, but I won't be able to start work on the masters and molds for a little bit yet :(.

I'll probably do design work on accessories for this trailer design in the meantime; for example the other day I did a preliminary design for a fiberglass bolt-together hard camper cap that will fit this trailer as well as M100 and M416's. I'll probbly post many of those design ideas here for everyone's input and comment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal