Yeti and the Marshmallow

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
What are you crimping the splices with?

There is a technique for getting the butt splices to fold tightly over the wire when you have a proper crimper.

This is what I prefer:

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Well, I had the speakers and stereo professionally installed, sounds nice! Money well spent in my opinion. The kit was missing the adapter for my specific model vehicle, and the antenna adapter.

I tried to install them myself, but in the end I saved myself even more headaches.

I'm not so fantastic with wiring, but I think it'll be easier to add things versus modifying something existing, we'll see, I am not afraid to admit when something is beyond me.

I was forced to drive at night to get home since I stopped for a burrito, scary at first then less terrifying. Good burrito.

I got my blind spot mirror too, I'll pop that on tomorrow.

Note to self, buy bungee cords and secure contents in back of the van. :Wow1:

Oh by the way I have one of those all in one tools, but I tried the tool picture above that the fellow at radio shack lent me and the wires slipped out too. Still, I learned my lesson and I'm going to return it and get a better tool tomorrow.

MrBeast

Explorer
Well, I had the speakers and stereo professionally installed, sounds nice! Money well spent in my opinion. The kit was missing the adapter for my specific model vehicle, and the antenna adapter.

I tried to install them myself, but in the end I saved myself even more headaches.

I'm not so fantastic with wiring, but I think it'll be easier to add things versus modifying something existing, we'll see, I am not afraid to admit when something is beyond me.

I was forced to drive at night to get home since I stopped for a burrito, scary at first then less terrifying. Good burrito.

I got my blind spot mirror too, I'll pop that on tomorrow.

Note to self, buy bungee cords and secure contents in back of the van. :Wow1:

Oh by the way I have one of those all in one tools, but I tried the tool picture above that the fellow at radio shack lent me and the wires slipped out too. Still, I learned my lesson and I'm going to return it and get a better tool tomorrow.

If you bought one of those all in 1 crimpers/strippers you wasted your money.

They wont crimp down tight, the kliens have that deep crimper that will push way into a barrel crimp. I can crimp a single strand of 22ga in a 10-12ga crimp connecter with mine.

I am suspecting that is what your problem is.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
If you bought one of those all in 1 crimpers/strippers you wasted your money.

They wont crimp down tight, the kliens have that deep crimper that will push way into a barrel crimp. I can crimp a single strand of 22ga in a 10-12ga crimp connecter with mine.

I am suspecting that is what your problem is.

Yes, I suspect as such my friend. Lesson learned, listen to Nick. Either way there will be plenty of time and opportunities for me to practice my crimping skills. I am not going to worry about it with my skills being what they are this early in the game, as a few gremlins popped up during the installation that these guys were able to handle quickly, and saved me a few headaches.
Things are piling up on my list and I have a deadline to meet. I am not one to waste money but I have money set aside for these sorts of things and in my opinion it was well spent on having the system professionally installed.

Tomorrow I will go return the all in one dealios and get some more crimps to practice with. I have other wiring that will need to be done, simpler wiring.

I realize now after today how important it is to hand off tasks when they are beyond your skills and capabilities. Perhaps further down the line I can change my own oil pan gasket, and install my own stereo. But for now this is all a giant learning experience. But most of all, listen to Nick. =P

MrBeast

Explorer
Yes, I suspect as such my friend. Lesson learned, listen to Nick. Either way there will be plenty of time and opportunities for me to practice my crimping skills. I am not going to worry about it with my skills being what they are this early in the game, as a few gremlins popped up during the installation that these guys were able to handle quickly, and saved me a few headaches.
Things are piling up on my list and I have a deadline to meet. I am not one to waste money but I have money set aside for these sorts of things and in my opinion it was well spent on having the system professionally installed.

Tomorrow I will go return the all in one dealios and get some more crimps to practice with. I have other wiring that will need to be done, simpler wiring.

I realize now after today how important it is to hand off tasks when they are beyond your skills and capabilities. Perhaps further down the line I can change my own oil pan gasket, and install my own stereo. But for now this is all a giant learning experience. But most of all, listen to Nick. =P

The last one is most important :sombrero: lol

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I need some opinions. I am going to have to cut some plywood when I panel the interior to fit around the wheel wells and fuel hose protector.

I know Home Dept or Lowes will cut wood down to size, but I assume I will need to cut the wood to fit. Now, I don't think renting a tool is feasible so I guess I am going to have to buy one. Preferably a Dewalt since I already have the batteries.

What should I get that can cut wood and metal?

MrBeast

Explorer
You are going to want to get a jig saw. Get some metal and some wood blades. it will allow you to contour anything you need to to make it fit.

Also when you are making the patterns hit up the appliance stores in your area and see if you can get some old refrigerator boxes, you can use the large pieces of cardboard to make templates, since it is free it doesnt matter if you mess up cutting it, once you have it where it fits nice you can then trace it to the plywood and cut it with the jig saw.

You can also tape pieces of the cardborad togeather if you cut one area that fits really nice and another that does not, or simply if you need a bigger piece.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Nice, awesome idea with the templates. I've actually been saving all my boxes my stuff has come in.

This is the tool I am going to purchase.

Now I will need some kind of surface to work on. Suggestions?

MrBeast

Explorer
that looks like a good saw. I like that it is cordless.

If I was you for a work surface, id just get a couple of 2x4's and stand them up and set your plywood on them. just make sure you dont run your saw blade into them.

When you are cutting the wood, make relief cuts that will let pieces fall off instead of trying to cut of one big giant drop, it will make your work more accurate and make it easier on you.

MrBeast

Explorer
Nice, good info there, thanks man.

You know once you are done with this van I am going to do some serious arm twisting to get you interested in air stream trailers.

You can buy one in deacent shape for 5 grand, and for as long term as you are looking at I think it will be right up your alley.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
You want to know something Nick? Right now this van is my project, and it will be my home for a few years. I am enjoying my project, it's a good learning experience and I am committed to finishing it and moving ahead. But if I continue with this nomadic lifestyle, I don't foresee myself staying with a van.

In my mind there were a lot of advantages to an all-in one package living quarters and vehicle, but moving along I see some ticks and design flaws.

I guess we all start somewhere, and I scoffed at the idea of this being only my first vehicle of many, but I realize what people mean when your ideals and needs and expectations evolve.

Years from now if I continue on this course, I don't see myself in a van, or a motor home, but a rig I can detach from my living quarters.

MrBeast

Explorer
You want to know something Nick? Right now this van is my project, and it will be my home for a few years. I am enjoying my project, it's a good learning experience and I am committed to finishing it and moving ahead. But if I continue with this nomadic lifestyle, I don't foresee myself staying with a van.

In my mind there were a lot of advantages to an all-in one package living quarters and vehicle, but moving along I see some ticks and design flaws.

I guess we all start somewhere, and I scoffed at the idea of this being only my first vehicle of many, but I realize what people mean when your ideals and needs and expectations evolve.

Years from now if I continue on this course, I don't see myself in a van, or a motor home, but a rig I can detach from my living quarters.

Who knows, you might just wind up owning a diesel truck some day! :wings: lol

chasespeed

Explorer
I am just learning wood working myself. Prefer metal. Anyway, you will need a circular saw, and a jig saw. For metal, you CAN use those saws with the right blades....but. if you qre going to buy a saw, buy them with a cord. I have a nice mlwauke cordless, and i only pull it out when doing something quick, that, woukd take lnger to unroll, and re-coil he extension cord.

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl