Yeti and the Marshmallow

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I am just learning wood working myself. Prefer metal. Anyway, you will need a circular saw, and a jig saw. For metal, you CAN use those saws with the right blades....but. if you qre going to buy a saw, buy them with a cord. I have a nice mlwauke cordless, and i only pull it out when doing something quick, that, woukd take lnger to unroll, and re-coil he extension cord.

Chase

I am hesitant to buy even a jigsaw because all I will be doing is a few small projects inside my van. A corded saw would be utterly useless to me on the road so I am definitely going with cordless. As for a buzz saw, I can have all the big cuts done at Home Depot/Lowes or do with the Jigsaw. It's already kind of a tool I don't really need but I'm buying it for the sake of ease.

chasespeed

Explorer
Actually, a cordless saw is about useless most of the time. The battery will not last long AT ALL. You will spend more time trying keep the battery charged.

I have them, and do use them, BUT, as stated, only for QUICK things....

I am tradesman. I LIVE by my tools. I have to carry them sometimes 1/2-3/4 of a mile through the woods to shelter to work, up a 40 foot ladder, or up 8 flights of stairs to a roof.... I do fully appreciate a few things, portability, reliability, speed, and getting it done RIGHT.

I am trying to save you some money, and stress. A jigsaw is capable of making straight cuts... but, you need a guide to do it.... and it will take forever... the circular saw is probably the most used saw out there.

A decent inverter will power those saws, no problem.

Now, why are you taking the saws to use on the road? There was probably something I missed in the thread.

Not criticizing man, so, dont take it that way...

Chase

Chase

kjp1969

Explorer
Actually, a cordless saw is about useless most of the time. The battery will not last long AT ALL. You will spend more time trying keep the battery charged.

I agree- and the batteries will soon die and fail to keep a charge, leaving you with a useless hunk of junk. I just had to replace a couple of Makita batteries at $60 apiece.

Forget the battery bank, just get an inverter and use the tools with the engine running.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
There are a bunch of problems with buying a corded jigsaw or buzz saw. One, I live in an apartment complex, my van is parked in a dirt lot, there are no electrical outlets at all for me to use. I have no electrical system set up yet.

Two. I'm cutting out the shapes for my wheel wells and fuel filler protector, and a few small cabinets, enclosures, not a house. It'd be a complete waste for me to buy a buzz saw and a jig saw for the amount of work I am doing.

I'm going to be living in the van, not starting a business on the road. I don't have a need for a jig saw, let a lone a buzz saw. Heck I barely have a need for the drill I bought after I am done with this conversion.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Buzzsaw, the one with the circular blade, sorry, not up on all the lingo, haha.

Yeah, you guys are right, thanks for pointing me straight. I'll go with a corded jigsaw. I will figure out somewhere to cut the wood. Maybe my sis will let me use the balcony for my van dwelling shenanigans or I can steal someones parking spot below our balcony and drop an extension cord.

Should I stick with Dewalt? Can someone point me in the direction of a good saw?

MrBeast

Explorer
Dewalt is a good brand.

And do take the tools with you, you will find that you come up with more uses for them than you thought you would.

I carried my drill and Sawsall on my semi with me, I was always using them, just remember, a man's work can only be as good as the tools he has avalable and his ability to put them to good use.

I can garuntee you once you are on the road you will have several things on the van that you decide to change and those tools will come in very handy.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Sage advice my friend.

Some of the jig saws have amperage listed in their titles. There is a Dewalt for 150.00 rated at 6.5A, and one for 85.00 rated at 5.5A that has poor reviews...

5.5A, 85 bucks. Crap reviews.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006FIOE8/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]Amazon.com: DEWALT DW317K 5.5 Amp Top Handle Jig Saw Kit: Home Improvement[/ame]

6.5A 150 bucks. Good reviews.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW331K-6-5-Handle-Jig-Saw/dp/B0007XXHHI/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1300933097&sr=1-3"]Amazon.com: DEWALT DW331K 6.5 Amp Top Handle Jig-Saw: Home Improvement[/ame]

Halp.

MrBeast

Explorer
The second saw looks like a much better saw to me, the first one looks weak and cheesy, I say get the second one, keep it for life.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Ok. Now I went ahead and bought that caulking at the building supply store I got my insulation.

It's not going to fly. I need some that I can use when I install my roof vent, and maybe fridge vent.

Also, I need to figure out how to seal those 1/4" holes in the floor. If I cut the weird housing off where the bolts thread into, can I just fill them with caulking? Or should I fill it with caulking and replace the bolts? Same for the side with the bulkhead still in tact?

Another issue is radiant barrier. I was going to use it but I am learning now that radiant barrier requires an air gap and can actually make a domicile warmer without an air gap.

MrBeast

Explorer
For the bolt holes in the floor you should stuff carrage bolts in em.

200631541634329155_Carriage_Bolt__Mushroom_Square_Neck_Bolts_.jpg

MrBeast

Explorer
Even with bolts in them they leak water.

you are seriously over thinking it, but if you are that concerned about it put a little gasket goop around the bolt hole before you put it in.

Just do try to remember, its a van, not a space shuttle or a submarine, :snorkel:

Basement Yeti

Explorer
The underside of the van needs to be power washed occasionally. When it's insulated I don't want water getting under there.

:snorkel:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl