Yeti and the Marshmallow

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Ok, I've got this lump of metal on the floor that is in the way of me paneling the passenger side wall.

There are two small depressions on each side of the lump of metal, some kind of tack weld or something. Would a Dremel tool work for extracting this lump of metal?

Like a Dremel 4,000, their most powerful model?

I say Dremel because I need a small tool for fine detailing on my interior.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I guess that last question is dumb. I bought a dremel anyway, if it doesn't work to remove the lump I'll just drill the welds out or something.

No pictures, I lost my camera! But I did get my front roof paneling up. The metal is EXTREMELY thick and tough. I swore and cussed and fought and finally asked my sis to hold the wood up while I put some screws in.

That jigsaw is AWESOME. I had to cut the shape out for my slider and a support beam and it worked great.

I am going to use the dremel to fine tune the roof shape, trim some plastic trim, and a few other tasks.

Countless times I have had a need for a dremel so I finally bought myself one.

MrBeast

Explorer
Ok, I've got this lump of metal on the floor that is in the way of me paneling the passenger side wall.

There are two small depressions on each side of the lump of metal, some kind of tack weld or something. Would a Dremel tool work for extracting this lump of metal?

Like a Dremel 4,000, their most powerful model?

I say Dremel because I need a small tool for fine detailing on my interior.

Those dimples are spot welds, drill into them with a 1/4" drill, just dont drill all the way through, drill until the entire face of the drill is engaged then you should be able to remove the fixture with a hammer. go a little deeper if it does not budge.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I drilled out the spot welds where I could see them (There are only two on left hand side that I could see, and one was really sloppy so I needed two 1/4" holes, but even that didn't help) I drilled all the way through the floor and the thing won't budge. I got the edge lifted up, bent the hell out of my floor and made some nasty gashed in it, but there is still a little bit of weld that remains. I'm going to wait for my Dremel to arrive and use the cut off wheel to free the rest, hopefully. And see why the left hand side won't move. I had to go get ear plugs because of the god awful noise of me bashing on the metal. Marshmallow is not relinquishing that jack holder.

Just working on templates for my wheel wells to pass the time.

MrBeast

Explorer
I drilled out the spot welds where I could see them (There are only two on left hand side that I could see, and one was really sloppy so I needed two 1/4" holes, but even that didn't help) I drilled all the way through the floor and the thing won't budge. I got the edge lifted up, bent the hell out of my floor and made some nasty gashed in it, but there is still a little bit of weld that remains. I'm going to wait for my Dremel to arrive and use the cut off wheel to free the rest, hopefully. And see why the left hand side won't move. I had to go get ear plugs because of the god awful noise of me bashing on the metal. Marshmallow is not relinquishing that jack holder.

Just working on templates for my wheel wells to pass the time.

yeah, the first time doing it isnt easy it is a skill you will pick up over time.

you are making good progress though

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Yeah, there is also this automotive caulking/adhesive bead all over the place, and it's holding that lump of metal in place too on the back edge, so I need to cut it free from that.

Hopefully I can finish my template(s) today and remove that lump of metal and patch those holes.

I wouldn't be making such a stink of that lump of metal if it weren't 1, utterly useless for my needs, 2 didn't take up so much space in my storage spot, and 3 block the spot where I plan to put a lock box. But it's gotta go.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I finally got that stupid piece of metal that holes the jack in place removed. Now I have a bunch of fricken holes in my floor I can't fill, joy. I destroyed a bunch of cut off wheels too.

I got my dome lights installed my ceiling, it looks like ****, I didn't take photos. What a mess. Ugh.

MrBeast

Explorer
Its all a learning experince.

I am sure picasso effed something up along the way once or twice too. :elkgrin:

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I really like my 12V cordless Dremel. I used it all day and the battery is still going strong. It certainly has some drawbacks but it shines in certain circumstances.

I'm going to use the 14x14 cut out from my roof in a few days to make patches for those holes with my Dremel and JB weld them over those holes.

I'm also going to make some nice trim where the two roof sections meet and where the plywood roof meets the headliner.

I got the second part of the roof up yesterday, and the dome light housings up today. The template for my wheel wells is pretty much done so I will get get the passenger side and driver side rear knocked out tomorrow, plus maybe some trim.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Ok. I am a ************** and I measured that last wall section incorrectly. See the wall isn't a perfect square, it arches upward unexpectedly and I didn't take that into account when I cut the wood. I'll probably re-do it with the rest of the other 4x8' piece of plywood I still need for the other smaller wall, there will be lots of leftovers. I still feel very accomplished, the shapes for the wheel well and stuff came out pretty good.

Roof looks ok.

Whoops. Ah well, I got one of those pieces of plywood for free. *shrug*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl