Yeti and the Marshmallow

Basement Yeti

Explorer
So today I plotted some dimensions for a roof vent, 14x14. Tomorrow I'll get some more screws, some wiring stuff, and a metal cutting blade for my jigsaw and do some cutting and get that vent in there.

MrBeast

Explorer
So today I plotted some dimensions for a roof vent, 14x14. Tomorrow I'll get some more screws, some wiring stuff, and a metal cutting blade for my jigsaw and do some cutting and get that vent in there.

for cutting that hole you will want as fine of a tooth count as you can get, it will make it much easier, if you go with a low tooth count it could possibly deform and tear the metal and break blades.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
for cutting that hole you will want as fine of a tooth count as you can get, it will make it much easier, if you go with a low tooth count it could possibly deform and tear the metal and break blades.

More teeth. Check.

That jigsaw is great. It's really a nice tool.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Cut a hole in my roof, measured like 10 times to make sure I wouldn't hit a support rib, seriously. I even drilled pilot holes and missed the rib on all of em. Then I cut through the roof and thought I was clear but the jig saw was so powerful it just screamed through the support rib, I didn't even notice it until I pulled the chunk of metal out. I ended up cutting out about 60% of the width of the support rib, by 14" long.

I know it's a big deal, and if the van were to roll over it would comprise the integrity of my roof, but I'm honestly not freaking out that bad. Mr Beast has offered to repair it, and with the right skills anything can be repaired.

I'm just deciding if I want to see if I can find someone around here and pay to have the support beam repaired, or wait till I get to Texas in about a month. Right now I have it taped up pretty good.

Dumb kid and a powerful tool, duurrrr.

r_w

Adventurer
Don't sweat it. The van is designed to not need the roof at all.

It is way more important to get that vent watertight.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Well, I figure they wouldn't design the safety cage on the van to just work at functioning levels, there has to be some overlapping safety margin for structure failure.

There is still a good 30 or 40% of that rib left in those 14", so it's not completely obliterated.

In my humble opinion.

I have the roof taped up real good, tomorrow I want to call some welders/fabricators around here and see what the damage to replace the rib would be, if it's not too bad I'll have it fixed, move the hole forward 3" and be on my way. If it's going to be ridiculously expensive I'll stick the vent in there, seal it up good, and deal with prying it out when I get to Texas to see Mr Beast.

Today I am really sick, I was up all night yaking. My Crohn's is flaring really bad. I didn't do anything today.

Mr beast gave me a good idea and I'm going to use the scrap from the roof to make patch holes for those holes I drilled to get the jack holder out.

Once I get the roof vent sorted, the floor holes, and the last wall done I plan to paint the floor, stick a piece of 1/2" plywood in there, make a bench to meet my vehicle class, and call it done.

I'm kinda burnt out.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Today was an awesome exhilarating day that has revived my sense of pride in this project.

I went to a welder whom I will not name. I brought the piece of metal with me I wanted welded in there. They wanted to see the van and the metal for a quote. The guy looks at me blankly and says $500.00. I was flabbergasted, I asked him why. He said he'd have to cover everything so the sparks from the weld didn't damage my paint, he said it'd take him 3 or 4 hours to cover everything. I asked him if he thought I was an idiot and he suggested I take it to a body shop. I was thoroughly annoyed and left, I heard him laughing as I left.

I called up my mechanic and he told me where to go. I show up and a nice fella name Nick (No crap) greeted me and we discussed what I wanted done. After some talking about my project he was was pretty excited and we peeled the plastic off my roof, he looked around for a few minutes and told me he could do it for 100 bucks or so but to just save my money and button everything up to prevent rust.

I asked why and he laid it out for me.

These vans are designed past the specification for roll over requirements, way past them. There are horizontal crumple zones that are designed to give in the event of a crash so the force on the upper truss ribs never exceed, or even come close to their limit in the event of a rollover.

Further more the flat part of my rib is designed to buckle, the part I cut out, and the rectangular part is designed to flex and take the force of the van in the event of a rollover, I still have one left from my oopsie.

Even if I removed the entire rib the crumple area in that zone would give and transfer force to the other ribs in a rollover, and all the ribs are over engineered. Furthermore even if the structure in the back was completely compromised, the structure in the front doesn't rely on the rear for it's roll protection, they're separate.

So I came home, fitted the vent, made a gasket with butyl tape, screwed it in place, and used some self leveling caulk to seal it. I got the wiring for the vent all run too. I can't find my camera so I'll take photos tomorrow.

chasespeed

Explorer
Dumb kid and a powerful tool, duurrrr.

Well, that makes it a powerful lesson... one you wont soon forget either.

One of the reasons I prefer metal over wood... I can weld it back together if I make a mistake...

Just, be careful, be sure, and make it happen...

Keep it up man....
Chase

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Thanks, and yeah, luckily I didn't do too much damage.

What do you guys think of me using an automotive fuse box with blade type fuses for my living area?

I bought some 10 gauge wire and circle crimps, for now I'll wire it to the always on post on my vans fuse box to an automotive fuse box in the back to run my exterior lights, later I can re purpose the wire to charge my house batteries from the alternator.

MrBeast

Explorer
Glad to hear you got it setup man.

An automotive fuse block will be perfectly fine. That is what you should use.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
YEAH! I got the roof vent totally installed and buttoned up, cut some squares from the scraps out of my roof and JB welded them to the floor to patch those holes. Tomorrow I will panel that last wall and probably redo part of the driver side wall with the 'scrap' and insulate the doors. The day after that it's paint the floor and door panels, chuck some 1/2" plywood on the floor, run a bit of wiring from the front, stain the wood, build a rear bench seat and BOOM, done.

Camera battery is charging will take photos once I've showered.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
So here it is, the vent is pre-wired, installed, and buttoned up. And I got some holes patched up. Tomorrow I can panel that last wall, perhaps re-do part of the driver side wall, insulate the door panels, and the day after I can paint the floor and door panels. It's certainly winding down!

I have a hat dad!

I didn't know if these vents were designed to face forward, just to be safe I mounted it with the hinges facing frontward so it doesn't rip open at highway speeds and make me very angry.

Not too shabby!

A little trim over those two sections and it will certainly look better.

A bit of wiring to sort out.

Patched some ugly holes in the floor. Now it's more ugly. :]

Bought a tool box to organize my crap so things weren't sliding all over when I drove.

2 WEEKS!

Basement Yeti

Explorer
When I had the roof taped up it made this weird noise like air getting sucking in and trapped. It's good now. I can't wait to get it powered.

After I got it installed but before I installed the last few screws I went to Home Depot to get some longer ones. Well I stopped for lunch and just chilled in the back with the vent open. Was super nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl