Yeti and the Marshmallow

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Paneled the passenger side wall and re-paneled the driver side front wall. I goofed on the passenger side so I hacked it up and frankensteined it, meh.

I have tons of scraps so I bought some pretty screws and added some trim, I just have a couple pieces of trim left to do, I'll do them tomorrow and get those doors insulated and buttoned up, then Friday I can paint the floor.

It's really coming together!

I like how the wood makes it look crisp inside. It'll look even better when I stain it! I know by many standards it looks like crap, but I am so ridiculously proud of this van.

MrBeast

Explorer
you are trying man, that is the important part, you will get there, and for your purposes I think its going to work just fine.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Up until a few weeks ago I had never used any power tools, driven a car, or done any fabrication/construction.

All things considered, I think It's going swimmingly. I am ridiculously proud.

This adventure is going to rock.

Just made some killer banana pancakes to top off the day, woo.

Edit: I need to start figuring out how I am going to build the rear bench, any suggestions? Just build a box with a back rest that comes off and bolt it to the floor?

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Paneled the passenger side wall and re-paneled the driver side front wall. I goofed on the passenger side so I hacked it up and frankensteined it, meh.

I have tons of scraps so I bought some pretty screws and added some trim, I just have a couple pieces of trim left to do, I'll do them tomorrow and get those doors insulated and buttoned up, then Friday I can paint the floor.

It's really coming together!

I like how the wood makes it look crisp inside. It'll look even better when I stain it! I know by many standards it looks like crap, but I am so ridiculously proud of this van.

For the past few weeks, kept seeing this thread on the New Posts page.
So being a slow day, thought I'd take a looky see... what a surprise!

As I thought from the title, it's not about;
Catching a Yeti with Marshmallows,

In keeping with the white Marshmallow theme, do you plan on painting the paneling white?

Last edited:

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Haha, that's funny.

And nope, just going to stain it. I like how outdoorsie the wood makes the van feel. Like a cabin on wheels. Ha.

MrBeast

Explorer
Up until a few weeks ago I had never used any power tools, driven a car, or done any fabrication/construction.

All things considered, I think It's going swimmingly. I am ridiculously proud.

This adventure is going to rock.

Just made some killer banana pancakes to top off the day, woo.

Edit: I need to start figuring out how I am going to build the rear bench, any suggestions? Just build a box with a back rest that comes off and bolt it to the floor?

Id say build a box that screws to the floor, not need to go excessive on the hardware so if you ever take it out you wont have rediculous holes to patch.

are you still insulating the floor?

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper

If you haven't seen this build on RV Net, take a look.

on page 10 starts the sofa/bed project. He has lot's of other ideas too!

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22965583/srt/pa/pging/1/page/10.cfm

My Rig (links below) isn't an Expo build but rather a Man Cave on wheels, used to tow a jeep. It has some unique features that can be used on any van.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23041426.cfm

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24225591.cfm

Basement Yeti

Explorer
That bench is cool, but beyond my skill level. I'm having doubts about being able to build a bench that turns into a bed that is structurally sound at my skill level, does anyone have any suggestions?

Very cool rig by the way.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Ok, looking at this fuse block. It says it has no negative bus, is that bad, do I need a negative bus?
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Blade-Block-Cover/dp/B000K2MBPA"]Amazon.com: Blue Sea 5028 St Blade Fuse Block W/ Cover - 6 Circuit Without Negative Bus: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

YukonRob

Adventurer
The Blue Sea Systems blocks are pretty popular here. Their model 5025 is similar to the one you posted but includes the negative bus. For only a slight increase in price you might consider the 12 circuit block for future expansion.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I kind of like those better, I have read a lot about blue sea and their stuff seems to be highly recommended.

So I am having serious doubts about my ability to build a sturdy and stable bench that can turn into a seat.

I'm considering buying a mini futon or something along that line and bolting it to the floor and then surrounding the base with plywood to make a box. Probably a bit more expensive than building my own, but I'd hate to have the thing collapse with my poor mom sleeping on there. It doesn't have to be tough like car seats because no one will ever be sitting back there while I'm driving, it's just to meet my passenger class for my van. Plus, I am on a REAL tight schedule. I have only 1 week till work stops on the van and it HAS to have a bench in the back to meet my passenger class.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Futon-Red/dp/B004K320MY/ref=pd_sbs_hg_2"]Amazon.com: Mini-Futon - Red: Home & Garden[/ame]

There is one in gray, but that link has photos of what it looks like in it's various positions. That thing will fit PERFECTLY, down to a half an inch in the space back there.

kjp1969

Explorer
There's an RV salvage yard in Fontana called Walt's. You can probably get there a sofabed to mount lengthwise in your van. They just screw down on top of a box, so you could build a storage box, access the inside by lifting the seat, and the whole thing folds flat for a bed. That's your ticket.

There may be a similar shop down in SD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl