Zelix Homemade Trailer Build

Zelix

Adventurer
Zelix Trailer build PHASE II *coming soon*

Ok, It's been a while since I've done anything to the trailer. It's been really handy this summer hauling pine straw, dirt, & beverages around. I know it's not perfect or looks anywhere as great as all the builds here but I love it.

I've decided to kick off PHASE II of the build.

Right now I'm in the design stage. I will be ordering some steel next week.

I really want to keep this trailer as a multi-purpose trailer. I've also decided to upgrade my life of campage... I'm going to upgrade to a RTT. With that in mind I've been looking, searching and reading up of different trailers.

I found this trailer (see picture below) [can't remember where I first saw it or who's it is] I like the idea of the cage type effect. I want to build a upper cage that I can bolt on to the top rail of my existing trailer.

thetrailercage-1.jpg

One thing I have to keep in mind is my propane cache cooker. I also have a huge ice chest that I hope to use.

I will make a small [firewood] cage type area in the front on the tongue.

Zelix

Adventurer
Long time no see, I like the trailer ideas, let me know if I can help!

~ Stump

It's been a while. I've been lurking here quite a bit and learning from everyone. I've spent the better part of this summer just sitting and thinking. I've thought and rethought about what I needed & what I can to to accommodate the equipment I have. I think I have it all figured out. I've been working on some CAD drawings so I can work out the details. I will post what I have later after finishing it up.

I've also bought the canvas part of a RTT. I will have to make the hinges,the base, the ladder, and the interior roof supports. After seeing all the RTTs last year I've been wanting one so bad.

I have to research toilets and shower tents. No chipmunks this year.:ylsmoke:

I hope to have all this done by the next country fried weekend. I'm looking forward that kicking off. As soon as I know the exact dates I'll be putting in for time off. I wanna hit the full weekend this time.

One thing that you could help me out with is... That shower that you had last year at the camp out. Could you get me some pictures of it or some kind of idea of what you used to make it? I'm thinking of making something along those lines.

I want to upgrade the comfort level of my campage considerably.

Thanks for checking out the thread.

Zelix

Adventurer
After thinking of how to attach the "tent cage" to the existing trailer I came up with this idea. Basically it's drilling holes in the existing top rail of the trailer, beveling the hole for welding, inserting pipe sleeve for stability.

Here's a quick and dirty sketch of what I'm thinking about:

RTTATTACHPREP.jpg

So the idea is to be able to bolt on the "tent cage" and go camping or take it off if I'm hauling dirt or such. The idea of the pipe inserts is to keep dirt from filling up the top rail if the 'tent cage' is off.

Here's another sketch of the bottom cage rail attached to the top trailer rail:

RTTATTACHASSEMB.jpg

Let me know if that sounds ridiculous. :ylsmoke:

Thanks for viewing,
Z

Zelix

Adventurer
The RTT canvas from Compact Camping Concepts arrived . I got a slightly damaged unit for a really good price. It looks wonderful.

RTTcanvas.jpg

I bought all the steel and got a new bender.

RTTsteel.jpg

I began work on the RTT platform base perimeter L1x1x1/8 on Saturday morning. Here's a shot of 1/2 of the base.

RTTplatfromstl.jpg

I notched the bottom of the angle and bent the corners. My thinking is that the round will help from snagging or tearing the tent. In the bending process it makes for unpredictable overall lengths since this isn't a great way to achieve this.... So I ended up chopping approx. 1/4~1/2 inch from each side.

Since I didn't have a way to carry 20ft pieces of steel I had them cut it in half. so I have to make to sides and then weld them together.

I'm think I'll just use 3/4" thick plywood for the base. It'll be the mother of all overbuilds.. but hey, that's how I roll. :ylsmoke:

I started work on the hinges Sunday. I didn't to much more done. I'll work on the project tonight and hopefully get a few better shots.

Thanks for checking out my build.

Zelix

Adventurer
The base perimeter steel for the platforms is done.

9-15-10-2.jpg

I picture of the homemade hinge:

9-15-10-3.jpg

Here's a picture of the bent round corners of the base.

9-15-10-1.jpg

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Looks like a good start man... do you have measurements of all the tubing or just going by what the canvas needs? What did the replacement canvas run you if you dont mind me asking?

~ James

Zelix

Adventurer
Looks like a good start man... do you have measurements of all the tubing or just going by what the canvas needs? What did the replacement canvas run you if you dont mind me asking?

~ James

I have no idea about the tubing measurements. It's been a lingering concern for me. I figured I'd mount the tent to the base and try to work from there. So I guess I'll be going by what the canvas needs. It's my understanding that the tubing doesn't support anything but the canvas... so I don't think it's too critical. I'll be using 1/2" EMT conduit. The pole end fittings that are designed for 3/4" aluminum tubing will also work with 1/2" conduit....so I decided I'd go that route.

I got the canvas from Compact Camping Concepts. He was able to work me up a good deal from a tent that was damaged from shipping.

The canvas is a damaged standard size tent body that has a minor snag in one of the screens, it was $65 [I honestly can't find the snag. I guess once I get it assembled I'll be able to see it].

The rain fly is a used one with a 1 1/2" rip in it. for $20. I figured I can hand sew up that small amount without too much difficulties.

Check out the site and give him a shoutout if you are looking for a replacement canvas. He carries new replacement parts as well.

As for me, I'm trying to get my foot in the door on all the camping so I'm looking to not spend anymore than possible.

I almost forgot.... I'm working on coming up with a hot shower. I'll go into to detail about later.
:coffeedrink:
Z

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I have no idea about the tubing measurements. It's been a lingering concern for me. I figured I'd mount the tent to the base and try to work from there. So I guess I'll be going by what the canvas needs. It's my understanding that the tubing doesn't support anything but the canvas... so I don't think it's too critical. I'll be using 1/2" EMT conduit. The pole end fittings that are designed for 3/4" aluminum tubing will also work with 1/2" conduit....so I decided I'd go that route.

I got the canvas from Compact Camping Concepts. He was able to work me up a good deal from a tent that was damaged from shipping.

The canvas is a damaged standard size tent body that has a minor snag in one of the screens, it was $65 [I honestly can't find the snag. I guess once I get it assembled I'll be able to see it].

The rain fly is a used one with a 1 1/2" rip in it. for $20. I figured I can hand sew up that small amount without too much difficulties.

Check out the site and give him a shoutout if you are looking for a replacement canvas. He carries new replacement parts as well.

As for me, I'm trying to get my foot in the door on all the camping so I'm looking to not spend anymore than possible.

I almost forgot.... I'm working on coming up with a hot shower. I'll go into to detail about later.
:coffeedrink:
Z

Yeah, I knew you got it from him, thats why I asked. Thats a heck of a deal!!! My canvas is just fine, but I emailed him about getting me a new cover for mine, and he was very quick to respond. Pricing was on par with other places. I will pull the trigger on it within the next month or so, as my old cover still has a trip or so left in it.

I have the same tent if you need any important measurements, just give me a shout (ovalexpress@netscape.net 404-661-7025). It should be fairly straight forward though.

Looking forward to the progress on both of the projects!

~ James

Zelix

Adventurer
Yeah, I knew you got it from him, thats why I asked. Thats a heck of a deal!!! My canvas is just fine, but I emailed him about getting me a new cover for mine, and he was very quick to respond. Pricing was on par with other places. I will pull the trigger on it within the next month or so, as my old cover still has a trip or so left in it.

I have the same tent if you need any important measurements, just give me a shout (ovalexpress@netscape.net 404-661-7025). It should be fairly straight forward though.

Looking forward to the progress on both of the projects!

~ James

I felt really good about the pricing. He really went the extra mile to help me out. I really have been wanting to get a RTT since I saw yours on the last trip. I appreciate the offer on the measurements. I'll give you a shout if need to. I'm really hoping it'll all come together with no worries.

Tonite I'll work on the trailer cage. I've got it designed so that I can add some metal boxes later on. I wanna keep the upgrade action going. I just hope I can upgrade my fab skills as I go. I'll have pictures tomorrow of the progress.:ylsmoke:

Zelix

Adventurer
So last nite I worked on the RTT base platform hinges. I got them bolted up. I have to get some bigger bolts... I didn't have the proper size... but it seems to work well.
9-16-10-2.jpg

9-16-10-3.jpg

I had to put the tent up there to see if it fit. It does. It has a pretty good bit of slack in fact. I used the sizes provided by the site 55"x47"x12" closed.

I now have to figure out how to get it attached to the frame. I'll be getting the plywood for the deck this weekend. All that will be left is the 'poles'.

9-16-10-1.jpg

One question I have is: what keeps the bent poles in place in the tent? I see on other tents this two straps. Is this something extra I need or is the tent missing something or am I completely lost?

here's a picture of what I'm' talking about about.

RTTinteriorshot.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk