Zelix Homemade Trailer Build

yj4trails

Observer
Might be a little late but you can get that webbing/strap material at wally-world in the fabric section. It is not as thick as tie downs its 1 inch wide. Comes in rolls. Just a thought.

Zelix

Adventurer
Post pics man... you got this.

~ James

Thanks for the support. I've made some strides today. I've got a ways to go...but it's on the run now.

Might be a little late but you can get that webbing/strap material at wally-world in the fabric section. It is not as thick as tie downs its 1 inch wide. Comes in rolls. Just a thought.

Thanks. I hadn't thought of that. If I can't get this other to work I'll check it.

Ok.. It's heating up outside.... and I'm beat.

Here's the latest update. I have the tent poles bent and in place. I still have to attach them to the hinge. I couldn't resist to take a few snap shots. I've also bent the poles for the rain cover. My pipe cutter died on me so I'm waiting to hit the store and get a new one.

I will take measurements and work on the strapping during the heat of the day. I still have to make the connections to the hinge. I've got an idea of what to do.

Then last thing will be to mount it to the trailer after the cage is built.

Picts of how it looks now.

RTT9-18-10-2.jpg

RTT9-18-10-3.jpg

RTT9-18-10-4.jpg

so far so good. I'm fairly pleased with how it's turning out. :coffeedrink:

Token

Explorer
Poles for the rain fly..?? I'll check tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it just ties down to those straps on the side of the tent and is stretched in place with the flexable metal rods..

Zelix

Adventurer
Poles for the rain fly..?? I'll check tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it just ties down to those straps on the side of the tent and is stretched in place with the flexable metal rods..

I think I have them figured out. I have the top 'bent pole' in place.

I still have to get a pipe cutter...

I did get the straps sewed up and in place. I do have the to figure out and make the end connections.

here's a couple of update pictures.

RTT9-18-10-strap.jpg

RTT9-18-10-strap1.jpg

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society

Mine has one pole going through the center of the rain fly. On the outside of the tent itself. The rest is just tied on.

~ James

compactcamping

Explorer
Zelix, Happy to see the project is coming along nicely. Clever way of attaching the tent body to the base. Look forward to see it in use.

Zelix

Adventurer
Heck yeah man...

Are you building a ladder or buying one?

I'm going to make one. I've got a few ideas already.

Are you building a cover or buying one?

I am thinking of designing one up and having a local tarp company sew it up.

Are you making your own awning poles or buy them?

I will make them probably.

I have a few detailed pics of the poles with some measurements if you need em.

They are here, about halfway down the page.

http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n257/topfuel443/random and funny pics/?start=all

I might hit you up on some measurements.

Mine has one pole going through the center of the rain fly. On the outside of the tent itself. The rest is just tied on.

~ James

Mine has poles at teh center and on the front and back. It also has tie down straps.

Zelix, Happy to see the project is coming along nicely. Clever way of attaching the tent body to the base. Look forward to see it in use.

Thanks. It's taken alot of effort to get it this far.

Here's the latest photos of where I'm at. So I had some left over steel... I thought Why not make some tent pole hinge points. Check it out.

9-19--10-5.jpg

9-19-10-1.jpg

9-19-10-2.jpg

9-19-10-3.jpg

9-19-10-4.jpg

So I realize that the hinges look rough and snaggie. I'll be cleaning them up and all the other steel as well next week. I have to finish drilling a few holes, welding up some the sides.

I then have to prep and paint the frame.

:)

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Very nice..way to stay on it!!!

Even picking away at it will give a real sense of accomplishment:elkgrin:

Pat

Zelix

Adventurer
Very nice..way to stay on it!!!

Even picking away at it will give a real sense of accomplishment:elkgrin:

Pat

Thanks. I stayed on it all weekend.

I now am back to just the frame. I took the tent canvas of yesterday afternoon.

I've been going over [in my mind] what I have left to do for the actual tent part of the project.
  • finish the corner welds on the frame
  • tack all the tent tie down clamp bolts to frame
  • drill more holes for the plywood to attach to frame
  • make the tent attachments for the bolting it to the trailer
  • make the ladder
  • make the ladder attachments
  • grind all snags, welds and smooth out the frame
  • prep and paint the frame
  • cut the 3/4 plywood and install it
  • prep and paint the plywood flooring.
  • re-assemble the tent.
  • complete the rain fly 'poles'
  • make all the awning/window metal props

Then all I'll have left is to make the cage for the trailer and connect it all up.
So I've still got a long ways to go... but I'm making progress.:coffee:

Zelix

Adventurer
Ok... Last nite I made some progress. I drilled the deck attachment holes, tack welded the nuts for the RTT base clamp, cut the plywood decking, installed the decking, drilled and bolted one side.

Here's a picture of where I left off:

RTTdecking.jpg

Zelix

Adventurer
I finally made a little more progress. I got the tent base floor painted. I also got the "trailer cage" complete. It's bolted to the trailer with (6) 3/8"dia. bolts. That should be enough to keep it bolted down.

Now I have to figure out how I'm going to attach the RTT. I will have to hold off on painting anything else until later.

Here's a couple of shots.

Trailer9-26-10.jpg

Trailer9-26-10-1.jpg

So the RTT floor is approx. 5'-6" off the ground. That's pretty good. There's plenty of room to reach in and unload stuff. :ylsmoke:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
You hear the whip cracking? Get on it.... Looking good. The weekend weather is supposed to be awesome.

~ James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach