Base Camp trailer for sale on Ebay

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Just to make sure I am clear (thinking of either the base camp or the compact) - is the base camp model tent similar to a typical RTT such as a EziAwn, or do you have to construct it like a ground tent with poles etc.?

Any pictures of the Base Camp tent deployed, or a video would be appreciated!
The Basecamp has a fold-open steel "deck" that is like a dual rooftop cage; it supports a standard type exoskeleton dome tent that's 8'x8' & about 6' headroom. No mattress included, huge kitchen, spare bedroom can be assembled under the overhang created by the rack.
The Compact has a RTT-type tent with changing room attached. The bed is a queen and the changing room has about 10' of headroom.
They both have gimungous tarps that the owner can wall-in with tarps. Either unit could easily support the Brady Bunch, properly modified.

Dieselandmud's Basecamp with Nashvillerover's Conquest & my Compact along side:
100_1562.jpg

100_1573.jpg

i just bought a compact should be delivered in a couple weeks
Congrats; where do you live?

Last edited:

fatrat

SE Expedition Society
I am meeting with Dean on Monday morning to look at what he has left in inventory. :sombrero:

mfreeman17

Observer
The last Base Camp was sold today.
There are 8 Compacts left at $5K each and once gone, ... they will be gone.

To put it into perspective, last week this time, Dean had 14 Compacts.

They are going quick at this price.

Dendy

I was the one that purchased the last new Base Camp, called Dean up yesterday. I am having second thoughts about the tent situation. I have 3 small boys (age 6 and under), so the larger tent would be nice - but one purpose of having the trailer is tent convenience. So maybe the compact would be a better choice??

fatrat

SE Expedition Society
I was the one that purchased the last new Base Camp, called Dean up yesterday. I am having second thoughts about the tent situation. I have 3 small boys (age 6 and under), so the larger tent would be nice - but one purpose of having the trailer is tent convenience. So maybe the compact would be a better choice??

I have 2 little girls that are 1 & 5 yrs old and a 14 yr old son so I think the base camp would work good for my situation since it has the ground tent under the main tent for my son. There should be plenty of room in the main tent for the wife, 2 girls and myself. Definitely watch the Conqueror vids here about the Basecamp and Hilldweller can give you some good info on the Compact. Also, I will be at the facility Monday morning where the Congueror's are stored so I can take some up close pics of the inventory as long as Dean doesn't care.

Last edited:

pnorvell

Adventurer
I know Hilldweller on here has one is you want to send him a PM. I've seen it in person and it's pretty awesome. I personally don't do trailers, but if i did, i would lean towards one of these.

Peter

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member

mfreeman17- This really comes down to a matter of choice. Clearly ... if it is raining, the Compact is quicker to set up and allow you to escape the elements quickly. The down side is size. (unless you like a smaller compact set up).

The benefit of the Base Camp (with kids) is that you and your wife could sleep up top in one tent, and your kids can sleep in the drop tent which is a separate tent on this unit.
You could do the same with the compact, but you would all be under one roof in the compact.

The other benefit of the Base Camp over the Compact is: 1) Swivel hitch for off road performance (nor really a high priority unless you are taking this thing through MOAB). and 2) mechanical surge brakes- on the base camp you have spring activated surge brakes to assist in stopping. If you get the Compact however, and determine you need brakes, ... electric brakes can be installed for several hundred dollars at any Camping World.

Right now, however, I think Dean is selling both (or was) at the same price, so you will not save any by going to the Compact.

Check out my thread:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16068

In that thread is a Mega Manufacturing video profile of the Compact (and Conquest ... the model I have).

If you watch Colorado Ron's video, and then watch the one on my thread, you will be able to view both trailers being set up and taken down.

Hope that helps
Dendy

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The Compact's tent could fit a couple of cots plus the queen bed above; you'll outgrow that though.
The second option for the Compact to accommodate larger families is to deploy the 20'x20' tarp and install panels around it to wall the whole thing in... ...it comes with the tarp, poles, and a velcro edge around the perimeter. I'm pretty sure that panels (screened too) are available from Conqueror in S.A. --- but I bet that would be expensive.

The basecamp would take more time to set up but would work better for the large family. It's just not as handy for the type of trips where you spend each night in a different site.

Peter ---- are you coming up to TN next weekend? If Michael isn't there, I think you're aloud to wear long pants...

mfreeman17

Observer
Thanks for the posts - certainly pros and cons to both. The base camp is the right size for the family but a more challenging tent set-up (time and no pad etc.) and the compact seems a bit small in terms of gear space. I should have bought the Conquest, but I was too slow - this would have given me more cargo room and a flip top tent. Oh well...

Thanks again for the thoughts, photos and videos. Mark

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Mark:
While the Base Camp is not as easy to set up, it is still not difficult and way faster than pitching camp with out the trailer.

I watched Dean set on of the tents up and he had it down to 10 minutes or less. The first time Chris (DieselandMud) had his out for use, it didn't take him a very long time, and we were in a pretty cold drizzle while setting up.

For the money, you are gonna be extremely stoked when it arrives.

Additionally, if you use it, and decide it is not for you, ... I believe you would be able to sell it and profit.
Remember, you got the last new one! Now they will be in demand! :)

Dendy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears