Death Valley 2007 "Trophy Event"

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Passing through the Ubehebe Canyon gauntlet

Steep terrain, rocky roads, washouts, sheer dropoffs? AND pulling a trailer? No problem!!!

Down we go!

Seeing you seeing me...

The Impromptu Running Challenge: Man vs. dog vs. FJ

Last edited:

rmarz

Adventurer
Jim, GREAT pics! And fast too. I’ll get some of mine up soon. I had to jump back into my linear life so fast the pics are still in my camera.

It was a great trip, thanks to all that made it happen.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Getting to Margaritaville

When you find your lost salt shaker and need a refill, just build a Handy Salt Tram to the Saline Valley's very pure natural salt. The trick was to first find one of the old salt buckets that were on the cables.

here is where the salt was collected prior to filling the tram buckets

The tramway towers leading towards the mountains. Note the size compared to the Defender.

In the photo's background note the mouth of Daisy Canyon, the path that the tramway followed and the old access road that I drove up to see the upper tramworks areas.

These are the "small towers" as compared to the earlier photo of the tramway transfer station up at 8700'.

The ground was too marshy to support concrete so the towers had some sort of augurs tied to these fittings

teotwaki

Excelsior!
The old road to Daisy Canyon ends in a sheer riverbank carved out by torrential floods.
I had to hike down to follow the old cables.
Here is a view showing the cables leading to a very steep ascent

I win! I found a bucket!

It is fairly rusted out and the hanger arms are bent at odd angles

Vintage photo of a loaded salt cannister leaving the saltworks

In transit

Photo and more are from this webpage
http://www.owensvalleyhistory.com/saline_tramway1/page50a.html

There were the remains of two large rock-filled counterweights to tension the cables

In the background is the salt lake and you can make out the path of the tramway to the lake

Good write up of the Salt Tram Story
http://www.owensvalleyhistory.com/stories3/saline_valley_salt_works.pdf

My previous trip to the Salt Tram station at 8700'
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4846&highlight=saline

Last edited:

rmarz

Adventurer
“Don't forget to upload yours.....” DOH! Where is that camera? No worries I’ve got you covered.

“I've always said that you were a linear guy”. I am just glad that the whole linear, spatial thing has been explained to me, my life just makes more sense, you know?

rmarz

Adventurer
SOCALFJ said:
Dang, how many days were you out there? you guys got a ton done!

Check out the caption on post number 12. That pretty well sums up how we covered so much area. I arrived Friday morning and cleared the area Sunday morning. Despite being the slow driver I still managed to go through nearly two tanks of gas on all the roads we covered. Of course I have a Jeep, and it is a thirsty Jeep.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
The finish line!

After the salt works we proceeded further up the Saline Valley Road and then made the final eastward turn towards our last point of interest...
the mystery band of naked denizens of the Warm Springs

A hint of strange sights to come

Enjoying a warm dip in a pool that is in a National Park...

These folks in the hotter pool are at most wearing only hats

A great hot shower is available

Enjoying good conversation, cold drinks and a fine view on Saturday night, October 13th

These fine trailers are set up to be really great chuckwagons too!

We left on Sunday morning with two vehicles heading north over Steel Pass and three vehicles heading south towards highway 190. I think that I've gotten most of my view told. Now I'll leave it up to the others to add in more photos and narrative.

rmarz

Adventurer
Couple more pics of the adventure, enjoy.

owensoverlookmt1.jpg

jimx2pt8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998