1 ton man fort

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Have you considered removing the roll upand going with the Eco-Roamer's rear deck?
Check out their build thread on here and see how they did it. I do not think I would go with that large space they went with (between the back wall and the drop deck) because you would not need it, nor have the space for it, however I think that it would work out very nicely for you if you give it a bit of thought!

I might even consider putting the doorway in the rear and making the remainder into the deck. (like a 60/40 split of the space. I personally like this idea a lot!) Just make your steps a slide out with a bit of a deck on it (say two foot square before you start going down the steps) then you have access to the deck if you want it, or leave it up and you can still get into the camper.

Personally I really like the idea of cutting into the cab and installing a bellows. It just seems nicer to me. Some folks are ok with not having it, and that is nice for security when shipping, but personally I really want access WHILE I am driving down the road. In case you want to change into shorts, or grab a coke etc. Having to pull over for that, every time, got old fast.

looking forward to the build!

Last edited:

ToyFamily

Observer
the rear drop down door has been the plan. I plan on having 2 spares on the back and the box is van width so a 60/40 would barely be enough for a pair of lawn chairs.

Nick

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
interesting.

Will there be cab access from the drop down?

Also if you mount that spare tire set fairly high up, you can put them on some swing away arms that would then be able to act as legs in the down position (assuming your truck's lift is high enough.)

Do you have any cad/sketch-up drawings of how you will make the rear door work out?

ToyFamily

Observer
I thought about using a $69 harbor freight winch to power the drop door...it's got a key fob control...that might be cool. I also intend on cutting a side door behind the wheel well so the whole box isn't compramised (bugs, dust, privacy) when I try to get in.

Nick

ToyFamily

Observer
interesting.

Will there be cab access from the drop down?

Also if you mount that spare tire set fairly high up, you can put them on some swing away arms that would then be able to act as legs in the down position (assuming your truck's lift is high enough.)

Do you have any cad/sketch-up drawings of how you will make the rear door work out?

Only thing I have so far is the Solidworks rendering earlier in this thread, the framework is there.

I've been having to do other things, like this bumper on this Ford Raptor we use to prerun...I think I will do the same thing on the Van to keep it light... almost back on track

Nick

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 128
  • ra.jpg
    ra.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 137

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Your build is awesome!!!...I can't wait to see more...Now I am busy searching for Diesel E350s because I saw your build...That is the "problem" with this site...you want one of everthing... :drool:
What length is your box?...

Last edited:

xped

Adventurer
to replace the roll up door, check your junkyards. My buddy found a fire truck troop carrier with double back doors that we put on his Fuso in place of his roll up. Much lighter and quieter, and can he can still fit his dirtbike through it.

ToyFamily

Observer
Loving it....just using it more than working on it at the moment :smiley_drive: . As for you guys looking, I like this one but since I'm using it all the time I kinda wished I held out for one of the type II Ambulances. They already had outside and inside storage, inverter, lighting, heat and AC in the box...and every one I saw had a 7.3L..though alot were non turbo. The box on this is 10', the measurements are on a previous page.

Last weekend my girlfriend and I went looking for a camp spot by a lake and after checking several populated lakes I decided to try to take us to a mountain lake at the end of the rockcrawling trail I grew up wheeling....only problem was that there was still snow patches....and I got it stuck :victory:...after 5 ramming speed runs at it. :smiley_drive: . Which exposed the vulnerability of the childproof latches on the cabinets....all the contents were on the floor when I got the HiLift and shovel out of the back...so no cabinets and all drawers...

Then this last weekend I was competing at a rockcrawling comp at Donner ski ranch and almost got it stuck in mud getting it up to the upper pit but it worked well as a "Chase Lounge" :)

SO I REEALLY need to get on the 4WD swap!!

Also, I stopped by a new/used RV parts store in Reno last week and saw this 4x4 badboy...but I love how I can go into tight places big RV's can't.

Attachments

• chase lounge.jpg
    chase lounge.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 262
  • bigfoot.jpg
    bigfoot.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:

ToyFamily

Observer
no pics but I bought a RV access door last night and 18 gal fresh water tank. I am also going to drop off my front axle in Carson City today to get the matching gears put in... got the Trans ID'd and going to call around and see if it's cheaper to buy trans and Tcase or have the trail shaft redone. After that, I'm putting in some orders for metal and parts.

Then I'm taking off camping agian this weekend before I tear down the interior next week and start installing the RV door and building the back door and counters, drawers, cut the walk through, make the roof rack and mount the Solar panel.

Nick

UHAULER

Explorer
Great project. I've always wanted a similar van but ended up going a different route. Can't wait to see the progress.

ToyFamily

Observer
Swapped the gears, going to clean up the housing and outers tomorrow...now order up the king pin rebuild and reassemble the axle!!:wings:

Nick

ToyFamily

Observer
Great project. I've always wanted a similar van but ended up going a different route. Can't wait to see the progress.

I checked out your build, I think I recognize one of the lakes you have pictured....which is where this build came from..how much was your apolstry bill for the coushins. Did you use the indoor/outdoor carpet for the cieling and walls too?

went out this weekend, another great weekend. Could MAYBE use a fan in the morning but the windows open and back door up gets the airflow going...but the 1" thick foil board insulation is working well. The back wall opening up is probably one of my favorite things...wake up open door and lay in bed and enjoy the view!! Also had a bear walk through camp at about 2am while we were all sitting around....the van sure helped in not having to convice the girlfriend to get to sleep after that, in a tent she would have been freaked out all night..

Attachments

• lake.jpg
    lake.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 183

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk