109 Expedition rig build

Maine 110

Jim what are you using for a paint system on your axles? I see you are not blasting the cases, it appears you are wire brushing cleaning and painting?

Jesse Ware

Mercedesrover

Explorer
I use SEM Rust Shield in gloss black (part # 38061) and SEM hardener (part # 38008). It's harder and glossier than POR-15 and stands up better too. Because it's hardened it is far more resistant to chemicals than POR too.

No real need to sandblast unless they're really bad. Wire wheel on a grinder, pressure wash with good soap, wash down with brake cleaner and you're good to go. And use a brush...No need to spray axle housings. This is the same way I did my last set of axles 4 years ago and they're still perfect. Well, except where they got sandblasted from 1100 miles on gravel roads up in James Bay this past summer!

jim

Maine 110

Thanks Jim. I can get SEM through my local auto paint shop. I never liked POR myself, It always seemed to get a chip which would rust then the whole thing would peel off like bad powdercoat.

Jesse

Excellent information, thanks Jim!

Now, I'm sure I've got the wrong vocabulary ... since this paint uses a hardner, that means its "catalyzed" (?) and I'll toss the brush when I'm done, right?

Thanks Again,

KAA

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Monkeyboy said:
since this paint uses a hardner, that means its "catalyzed" (?) and I'll toss the brush when I'm done, right?

Yup, it's catalyzed. But wash the brush out and use it again. Don't be wasteful!

jim

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Slow but sure, the front diff is now done.

For a recap: 2.6 109 front axle with 3" brakes, 4:10 ratio Toyota e-locker differential, 30-spline inner shafts, 24-spline outer shafts.

Button up the rear in the next couple of days and I can start putting the chassis together!

diff5.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
A little late here, but I just read through this thread.

What a great build, will be fun to watch the progress.

Good luck, and keep up the good work.

seriessearcher

Adventurer
Thanks for the paint info

Jim,

Thanks for the paint info, I was wondering about that. I will use the same on my 109.

Hopefully I will see some progress in the coming weeks.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Rear diff is done...Finally! Gotta get moving on this project.

I need to paint the springs and then the frame will come inside to start coming together.

Anyway, here are a couple pics.

diff6.jpg

diff7.jpg

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Some more progress in the past couple days. Got what amounts to a rolling chassis. Engine, drive shafts and probably exhaust are next. I was trying to get the motor in by March 1st but I guess I'm going to miss that.

Anyway, pictures from tonight:

chassis1.jpg

chassis2.jpg

chassis3.jpg

viatierra

Explorer
I love watching this 109 come together! Several years ago a neighbor was going through this same type of first class build. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed stopping by each week to see the progress.

Looking forward to reading more!
:26_7_2:

JohnC

Observer
Nice work Jim!

Where did you get the frame re-galvanized? I need to get some parts galvanized and don't know anyone in my area that does it.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk