1987 4Runner- Expedition Build Up.

Cool! Hopefully we can work something out with your buddy, Russel. I appreciate you looking into that for me!

Next step is to fix my exhaust. With the U joint replacement, fixing the exhaust will probably give me an overall 75% noise level reduction in the truck! After that I want to get my windshield resealed. That will kill 2 birds, the windshield whistles and leaks water into the cab. Work in progress. I'm happy when the sucker is running good and not having any problems... but with the age of the truck I only expect things to get worse...

Just read through this whole thread. Nice truck and good work on all you've done to it. Stick with it.

Thank you sir!

I went to a local (HOME TOWN ALEXANDRIA) exhaust shop- Exhaust Tech- to get a price for fixing my exhaust. They want $513 to replace the catalytic converter, replace pipe, new OFF BRAND muffler, and labor. $200+ for the Cat, $125 for the muffler, $67 labor, and change for other stuff.
Just bought cat and muffler from JC Whitney for $80 shipped.:costumed-smiley-007 Just gotta get it installed

valkyrie

Adventurer
rut-roo... good luck with the JCW cat. Still have a couple of years of testing and I wouldn't count on those lasting that long. With very reare exceptions, I haven't seen the cheap-o cats last more than 8-9 months.

Not betting against anyone, but I hope they are bolt-on! :)

Not betting against anyone, but I hope they are bolt-on! :)

Well, at least I now know what to do when a cat goes bad. Chop that ho off and blast the open pipes!

Reckon Magnaflow would be a better option over offbrand? I can send the offbrand back to JCW and get magnaflow for just a bit more.

valkyrie

Adventurer
Yup, manganflow is the cat of choice for a/m, Taco cats are only about $85, can't imagine they'd be more for yours. CHeck Summitt Racing.

They should at least get you past the 25 year mark. :)

austintaco

Explorer
Yup, manganflow is the cat of choice for a/m, Taco cats are only about $85, can't imagine they'd be more for yours. CHeck Summitt Racing.

They should at least get you past the 25 year mark. :)

When I bought my 84 back, it didn't have a cat, not even a gutted out one. For the first year, in 07, I had a friend of a friend get the inspection done, and I thought I would have to go the same route again in 08(24 years). However, the inspection place we went to with our other car said that an 84 in 2008 only needed a safety check. I immediately had them do the inspection.

I don't know if his math was wrong or if its how they count the years (counting 84 as the first year), but you might only need to get through one more emissions year and then you are good.

That seems like alot for exhaust to me. I had the same thing done on my 85 for $250, but i'm in SC.

Yeh, im going the cheaper route... the whole point of this rig was to have a mostly built rig with ~$4000 into it. I'm getting close to it and not very far into the build...:mad: Besides, I still need to pay Mr. Leary for his old 4runner wheels!

BLKNBLU

Explorer
Did you ever resolve your t case mount situation? I just cleaned up my old one and it still looks serviceable. Let me know. It's a 4 cyl, not the beefier 6 cyl BTW.

wmi875.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
BLKNBLU: yours doesn't look as bad as the first one I replaced, BUT the tearing of the connecting sections is what starts to spell the begining of the end. AS a spare to get you home I'd keep it, but IMO it's pretty well toast too. Once those pieces that connect the "wings" of the mount break (and yours is nearly through on both sides) there's nothing to hold those big "chunks" in place, they fall out and the T-case binds, rattles etc as I'm sure you know.

Not trying to bash your awesome intentions, and good on ya for looking out for us old Toyota owners, I'd just hate to see some one have a problem and then blame you for a part they installed if that makes sence. It's this sence of comunity and "fro the good of the froup" attitude that has made Expo my Home on the internet. As far as I'm concerned, NOBODY does comunity like Expo does. Mud is pretty awesome, but I still feel like Expo it tops in this dept.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

BLKNBLU: yours doesn't look as bad as the first one I replaced, BUT the tearing of the connecting sections is what starts to spell the begining of the end. AS a spare to get you home I'd keep it, but IMO it's pretty well toast too. Once those pieces that connect the "wings" of the mount break (and yours is nearly through on both sides) there's nothing to hold those big "chunks" in place, they fall out and the T-case binds, rattles etc as I'm sure you know.

Not trying to bash your awesome intentions, and good on ya for looking out for us old Toyota owners, I'd just hate to see some one have a problem and then blame you for a part they installed if that makes sence. It's this sence of comunity and "fro the good of the froup" attitude that has made Expo my Home on the internet. As far as I'm concerned, NOBODY does comunity like Expo does. Mud is pretty awesome, but I still feel like Expo it tops in this dept.

Cheers

Dave

"fro the good of the froup".....:sombrero::elkgrin::costumed-smiley-007:ylsmoke:

I Almost Froupen.....Agree!....

BLKNBLU

Explorer
Thanks for the input. I'll still leave it to the OP whether it's worth the price of shipping to have it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy