2011 Super Duty Info...

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
outside intake and inside exhaust...trippy..
I wonder if this thing will fit in the vans or if there just won't be any more diesel vans from Ford

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Here is a little more info on the engine that is pretty neat.
http://green.autoblog.com/2009/08/3...l-ready-scorpion-2011-ford-super-duty-gets-a/

The thing I dislike is the sort of 70s-esque elongation and building of everything "bigger" and slightly more obnoxious like the grill, etc. I wonder if someone showed an original designer of the Super Duty what its become, what they would think...

It is interesting (and probably welcome) that they are finally dumping Navistar. Sort of the end of an era. You definitely have to "think" navistar to work on them and its interesting seeing the different rounds as they evolved to the 6.0 and 6.4. Such is life. The thing that is possibly questionable to me is the aluminum heads possibly sacrificing that huge rebuildable durability because even with all the small problems even the 6.0 is a 400K+ engine one the head bolts are replaced.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
nice link
seems the aluminum heads could be ok. the 1FZ has the same w/ ironclad durability.
The CGI block sounds interesting but also sounds like a very durable material.

Exciting to see diesel tech developing!

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Too bad they have to use urea injection for smog...and there is going to be close to ZERO room under the hood for anything else - even worse than the current engines.

I'd like to see what they get for mileage with the 6.2L gasser. I like the new styling but I really can't get over the headlights. I didn't like the change on the old gen and I wished they would have changed it for the 2011. Not that it matters since I can't afford one anyway... :sombrero:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Pretty impressive. Not impressive enough for me to give up my '02 7.3, 6spd manual, manual 4wd, that I bought new though.:victory:

Jack

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
200-250K miles reliability but not much more than that from a aluminum headed 1FZ in my opinion. I have worked on a lot of cars with aluminum heads and I would say my most miserable experiences have been with engines with aluminum heads. Its not that they don't work but repairing aluminum heads doesn't always work and engines with aluminum heads sort of implies if there were head or head gasket issues, like the 6.0, then the heads would be sort of 'disposable' - one more thing to order from Ford catapulting a head job to the $3-$3G range. Which seems to be the trend we're seeing with Ford and these trucks unfortunately. Big big spending on large mechanical repairs. I'm not saying it doesn't make sense because I'm not an engineer but I just had to do a head job on my 2000 and was pretty psyched that it was steel and I should get a couple more hundred thousand miles out of it easily particularly now that one side's valves are fresh again.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
outside intake and inside exhaust...trippy..
I wonder if this thing will fit in the vans or if there just won't be any more diesel vans from Ford

Haven't heard anything, but lets hope the new engine makes it into the E-series.

But.... If they detune it like the 6.0, it may not be worth it. The power figures on the V10 are already extremely close to the 6.0, so it will be hard to justify the cost (and who knows about the mileage....)

Heimz

Observer
After performing repairs and maintenance on several Ford Trucks for work or friends, I will happily punch a Ford Engineer in the throat next time I run into one at SEMA.

I still have scrapes, scratches, and cuts from changing the spark plugs on a 96 F150 last week. Half the wire boots tore when coming off. The engine bays are completely thrown together in the most haphazard, ill-conceived ways. Ever replace a water pump on a 90's Ford? Then you probably sheared a bolt in the block! Ha, you have to remove the cab on a new SD to service the turbo or do head work!

Aside from that, I like the way the new SD looks! They finally stepped up the interior in the last few years and hopefully retain solid front axles, big gas engines, and a loyal fan base. Great looking trucks, they just need to have some smarter apples in the engineering dept looking at servicability.

And yeah, ditching the diesel in the vans was lame! Sure hope they get them back, would love to see some Sportsmobiles sporting the new engine!

I think they've fixed the have to remove the cab to work on the turbo problem with the new exhaust design.
Urea injection allows better tuning for power and economy/lower EGR rates.
I've read no more ZF 6 spd very very unfortunately, what a wonderful gearbox!
I've also read no van application. Let's hope they build a V6 5L and put it in vans and even a 3.3L 4cyl and put in smaller/lighter vehicles. Think 200hp/350 ft-lb is enough for a F150? I think so.

Charlie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad