2013 Toyota 4Runner, Equipt Edition Build

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Yep, a 285/70/17 spare and a tire repair kit. And onboard air. I am feeling pretty good there.

Cheers,

Great thread. Safe journey on your trip. I am wondering if you will be selling this rig soon. It will sell very easily if you ever do put it up for sale. Just as you sold the LandCruiser.

Equipt

The tires are in pretty good shape. Yes, they are the Falken Wild Peak A/T with about 15K of use. It should be a good test, that is for sure.

No plans to sell the 4Runner. I am going to hold onto it for a while. I finally have it prepped close to the way I want it.

Cheers,

cityblues

Thanks guys.

I think the mileage is great, but that is a relative question. My 100 averaged 10-11 depending on whether I was towing the Chaser around. Fully kitted in the 4Runner, I am getting 15 city and 16 highway. Kitted and towing the Chaser I am getting around 14.5-15 mpg. For me, that is 50% better gas mileage. A stock model gets in the low 20s on the highway, so all my stuff has adjusted the outcome about 25%.

Cheers,

I just picked up on your build, Paul; very nice 4TE. I'm reading on to see how it turns out.
I bought a 4TE early in 2010 and I really do enjoy it. For anyone interested, my mileage on the road with no tow is generally around the 20MPG mark, however, with my Chaser fully loaded I get right around 17mpg, which I consider great; and, in West Texas where you can step it up to the 85mph speed limit it will get 16mpg. Although, I must admit, I don't have the equipment/weight you have on your truck,I keep most of it in/on the trailer; the 4TE pulls the trailer like it isn't even back there.
I noticed you mentioning you miss the thunk of the doors closing, as they do on the 100; I did too, so I did a complete cover in Dynamat; it added about 160 lbs to the vehicle weight, but, it is quiet inside ... and when i close the doors ... thunk. I'm looking forward to reading on. Thanks for inspiring us all.
Have fun today!

bogman2121

The solution I chose was to install HEMA maps software on my iPad2. It is a great software set, allowing you to download a manner of mapping for just about anywhere.

The only mapping solutions I'm finding for HEMA are for Australia. Are there more map options once you purchase the app?

Awesome build btw.

chmura

Adventurer
The only mapping solutions I'm finding for HEMA are for Australia. Are there more map options once you purchase the app?

Awesome build btw.

I noticed the same thing. Seems like HEMA maps are for only Australia when I check the app store. Or maybe I'm missing something?

Inukshuk

Guide
Paul -

Have a great trip. I look forward to your updates.

I re-did all my electrical last Fall with striking similarities to yours. I agree that its incredibly time consuming, but so satisfying to flip switches and have reliable power where you need it. My ARB fridge runs stronger with clean no voltage drop power (10ga), as does the dual ARB compressor (same as yours) (2ga).

Question: I run one battery (Group 31 deep cycle Deka Intimidator). Three days parked at OE with ARB fridge, LED's at night, charging phones, drones, and cameras (the latter off the inverter) and started just fine. I am leaning towards one of those small lithium ion packs as the emergency jumpstart source, or a dual battery but the second battery being just there for emergency backup, no loads connected. This should avoid the worst-case scenario where both are dead because accessories on the second ran too long and something from the truck ran down the primary. What would be some disadvantages?

Equipt

Hey Dan,

The over arching goal of any secondary battery system is to ensure that you can start the truck. Whether the electrical is wired to the primary or secondary is entirely the owner preference. The traditional route is to connect all accessory use to the second battery, saving the primary. But reconfiguring all the electrical from primary to secondary is a daunting task, to say the least. So leaving it all wired as it is to you primary is fine. Back up starting is the solution for you in this instance. I am glad to hear you are getting that length of use from you set up. That is great news. The lithium Ion back up sounds like a good idea too. That technology has come quite far recently. A full secondary battery set is great too. Either way, you should create a way to cycle the power on these batteries. Good conditioning of a battery is to allow some discharge and then recharge. Constant toppng off of a battery is detrimental to the long term lifespan of that unit.

Another option might be to add a small charge reserve system to your main. I have seen this kind of set up around, but don't know much about them. It would save you a small fortune and a bunch of time over the secondary battery system purchase and install, not to mention the requisite space for that system. If you already have everything wired to the primary. All you really need is to start it in an emergency. Just a thought. Perhaps that is what you were referring to with the LI battery.

Cheers,

Equipt

Thanks for the comments on the Dynamat. I will take a look into that. It might be the answer to tinny concerns.

I am just over 5K into the Alaska trip now, running fully kitted and just a little over speed limits most of the time. I am averaging 16.5mpg so far. Acceptable for me, compared to 11mpg in the 100 Series.

HEMA maps does have a US version available. It works pretty well. I had some inside help with this. Troy Bignell of HEMA Maps is doing an internship with Overland Journal right now. He set mine up. Very intuitive system. They have an App for that. :)

http://www.hemamaps.com.au/en/Buy/Apps and Digital Maps/Mobile Apps/USA-RoadAtlas-iTunes-App

Still a paper map guy though.

Cheers,

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
HEMA maps does have a US version available. It works pretty well. I had some inside help with this. Troy Bignell of HEMA Maps is doing an internship with Overland Journal right now. He set mine up. Very intuitive system. They have an App for that. :)

http://www.hemamaps.com.au/en/Buy/Apps and Digital Maps/Mobile Apps/USA-RoadAtlas-iTunes-App

Cheers,

Used HEMA products HN6 on our recent travels in Australia, my wife and I both called it the wedding saver...

just eric

Adventurer
Paul,
You have presumably completed your Grand Alaska Trip and logged many more travel miles than most of us could hope to in a lifetime. That being said, how about a quick run down of what worked and what could have worked better. I'm specifically interested in the OME suspension you are running and your thoughts on aftermarket UCAs (which I don't think you are running). Thanks for a great trip report and I look forward to hearing what more you have to say.

Honu

lost on the mainland
wish my loaded FJC got that good of mileage :)

Thanks for the comments on the Dynamat. I will take a look into that. It might be the answer to tinny concerns.

I am just over 5K into the Alaska trip now, running fully kitted and just a little over speed limits most of the time. I am averaging 16.5mpg so far. Acceptable for me, compared to 11mpg in the 100 Series.

Cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77