2013 Toyota 4Runner, Equipt Edition Build

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
...I am averaging 16.5mpg so far. Acceptable for me, compared to 11mpg in the 100 Series...

Wow. Even considering the 2.5gal greater capacity of the 100-Series that's a pretty huge difference over a long trip, especially with a couple of 20L cans in reserve!

wish my loaded FJC got that good of mileage :)

Wish my FJC had that 4Runner's 4gal larger fuel tank, lol.

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
did not know the tank was 4 gal more ! that and the bit more like you said is a difference for sure :)

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Paul,
You have presumably completed your Grand Alaska Trip and logged many more travel miles than most of us could hope to in a lifetime. That being said, how about a quick run down of what worked and what could have worked better. I'm specifically interested in the OME suspension you are running and your thoughts on aftermarket UCAs (which I don't think you are running). Thanks for a great trip report and I look forward to hearing what more you have to say.

Hey Eric,

Yep, made it back to AZ. Still catching up on the adventure thread. The 4Runner worked out great for the entire trip. Very comfortable, and plenty of room. I used the inside sleeping platform quite a few times, and my co-pilot Troy did as well when I was in the RTT. The kit layout was just right. The rear hatch kitchen set up was effortless and fast. I honestly wouldn't change a thing.

The OME suspension is a 2-1/2" rated at stock plus 800. Pretty stiff when empty, but with the kit I had on there it was very nice. Quite smooth and handles very well, even with a full rack. The stiffness is for upcoming rear bumper and aux tank, at some point. On the trip, I didn't give the suspension a second thought. No issues at all. You are right, I am running stock UCAs. I figure that Toyota spent a small fortune designing this truck, and the UCAs on there have decades of experience behind them. Why would I change out something that works just fine as it is? The more you modify a vehicle, the more you distance it from OEM, the more you create opportunities for problems. And if you are on an extended adventure and something does go wrong, are you going to be able to source replacement parts for your specialty suspension? I am just shy of 40K on the truck with this suspension set, traveling heavy and fast on sometimes problematic roads, and have not had one issue. That is why I choose OME.

Something I should note in full disclosure. I had a couple non related issues on the last two days of the trip. I was headed to central CO on an errand with a small U-haul utility trailer in tow, when I felt something akin to a flat tire outside Buena Vista CO doing about 60mph. I slowed it down, got past the guardrail and to a safe spot. I check all the tires, and they are fine. But what I notice is the passenger rear axle was sitting on the interior of the rim. I had sheared all the lugs off, and the axle dropped and rode the rim until I stopped. It could have been disasterous. Usually the wheel goes it's own path and the truck sees big damage, and pulling a trailer could have rolled the whole thing. I am very lucky. What I can figure is that I had not rotated or even looked at the lug nut on this truck the entire trip. I had some uneven tread wear from not aligning it when I lifted it, and was running the fronts longer that usual to even out the wear. Over 9K miles of travel, a good portion on dirt, had apparently loosened the lugnuts. We replaced the lugs and nuts, and I was on my way again. My destination was on a mountainside 40 miles south east of Buena Vista. When I got there I noticed greasy dots of dirt all over the trailer and the back of my truck. Upon inspection I found that the rear diff drain plug was gone. All fluid was gone too. We sourced a temp plug and a couple quarts of gear oil. I got it back to Buena Vista and the shop that helped me with the lugs. We got the right plug, drained the oil to see what was in it, and filled it back up with synthetic. There was only a light sheen of silver in the drained gear oil. I think we caught it in time. I drove it back to AZ, and have not heard a growl at all. I believe it is alright. But what I don't get is that the drain plug was set at the factory. I haven't serviced the rear end on this truck. I have no explanation for that one.

Overall, for the torture I put the 4Runner through so far, I am very happy with it's performance. It is set up just the way I want it.

Cheers,

High_Country

Adventurer
A pessimistic thought, I admit, but could it have been vandalism? I wouldn't put it past people these days to pull (or loosen) a drain plug or lug nuts on a 'high profile' or attention getting vehicle of which they were jealous.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
How much washboard was there on the way to and from Alaska. If enough to loosen the lugnuts, couldn't that have vibrated a hole lot more....like drain plugs?

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Honestly, the thought of vandalism hadn't crossed my mind. Possible, I guess. I surely hope not. There was a fair share of washboard road on the trip. South Canol Road, Dempster Highway, Top of the World Highway, Dalton Highway, OR/CA/NV backroads, Ouray FJ Summit. All in all, perhaps 2,000 miles on dirt give or take. My thoughts lead towards that the simple fact that I should have been more diligent in my maintenance. I should have checked the lug nuts at least once in a 10K trip full of off road travel. It's a line item on my travel maintenance now, I can assure you of that.

Cheers,

skibum315

Explorer
The documentation and detail in this thread is extremely well done, and I'm loving the perspective as to design and build-out motivations ... thanks for taking the time and effort to share that information with the rest of us. Of particular interest to me, has been the auxiliary electrical system (the Bussman unit is on my radar and will likely be the direction I take as well) and the rear-hatch build(s). I'm also interested in the K9 rack system ... I may wind up calling your office (Equipt) to help figure out how to implement a similar install on my '08 Xterra. As things sit right now, there are limited options for replacement racks and none of them are particularly modular ... I like the idea of something like the K9 or Frontrunner that can be minimal (and flat!) when just running around town in DD duty, but that can be outfitted extensively if the need arises. I have a Gobi Ranger rack currently, and while it's a great unit I'd like to go more low profile and lighter weight ...

It's crazy to hear about your (limited) issues with lugs/lugnuts and with diff plug ... I'm very glad to hear it wasn't with worse consequences than you experienced. To have those two things be the balance of problems on as big of a trip as your Alaska adventure (the details of which are on my list to read through, I'm very eager to peruse those after reading through this build thread ... I have no doubts they will contain the same level of detail and insight) speaks volumes to the durability and capability of your truck and how you've built it. Kudos!

vonguido

Adventurer
Paul, this is one heck of a build!
I have been following your other thread about your Alaskan Adventure and it's simply amazing. Some day I'll have the fortune of such a trip. If I'm not mistaken didn't the Expedition Overland guys have a similar issue with lug nuts/bolts on their Alaskan adventure?
I'm curious to see what else you have in store for this rig, keep up the impeccable work.

-Sean

zscott

Adventurer
Paul, this is one heck of a build!
I have been following your other thread about your Alaskan Adventure and it's simply amazing. Some day I'll have the fortune of such a trip. If I'm not mistaken didn't the Expedition Overland guys have a similar issue with lug nuts/bolts on their Alaskan adventure?
I'm curious to see what else you have in store for this rig, keep up the impeccable work.

-Sean

Same thing went through my mind when I read about the studs being sheared off. Sounds like Alaska's roads are doing a number on vehicles in the overland crowd this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism