2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Is a ZR2 AWD (like Toyota land cruiser 80 or land rover defender) or part-time 4WD (like jeep wrangler or Tacoma or regular Colorado)? This would require a totally different transfer case with central diff lock and low gear.

If it is AWD than it will be totally different truck to drive.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I believe the GMC Canyon has an automatic 4wd option (along with 2wd, locked 4WD high and low). They'd have a center diff to make that work. No idea if the ZR2 has the Chevy or the GMC transfer case.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Oh ok I got.
Auto Trac is not actually a full-time awd system like Toyota land cruiser 80 or old land rovers.
It's a part-time 4wd system with an ability to automatically engage front wheels as needed. It's not a bad system at all, I would just prefer a "classic" awd system with a mechanical central diff lock.
I grew up with classic land rovers and I still think they had simple and yet most sophisticated full-time awd system with 3.5 factory low gear.

I will be on the market in a year or so. I'll be debating between this and taco.
we'll see. :D

One thing I hate in colorado is the 4wd actuator on the left side.
It's so small. I feel it's "hidden" from the driver. In taco the most of off-roading tools are on central panel. They are bold and evident.

DaveInDenver

I just wish they'd put a manual stick back in for the transfer. They did on the 4Runner, it came back from the abyss of electronic actuators even. At least temporarily.

It appears GMC may use the NVG246 or some variant of that. It uses a mechanical clutch to engage the front drive driven by a PWM to adjust the amount of torque bias up to a complete 50/50 lock up.

http://www.atraonline.com/gears/2006/2006-07/2006_07_10.pdf

ETA: I don't know if the RPO NQ6 Autotrac actually is the NVG246. It could be the MP3023 or something similar to that. I believe that still uses a variable clutch so it's probably not that different.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Since everything is electronic now-a-days. Just put all the 4WD/Locker controls on the steering wheel...so it is all at your finger tips.

Needs paddle shifters too....

TwinStick

Explorer
My 2008 Dodge Power Wagon has "twin sticks", meaning a manual shifted transfer case & a manual shifted G-56 transmission. Even so, it still relies on electronics to work. There is a Transfer Case Position Sensor", if it is not working properly it prevents me from using the lockers. Stock, you can only use the lockers in Lo range. Not always so good in sand or snow or mud. Sometimes you just need more wheel speed. That happened to me in the deep snow. When I used 4th, 5th or 6th gear, Lo range, both axles locked, I could make it. But not in 4 Hi, or 4 Lo 1st, 2nd, 3rd with axles locked. Stock crawl ratio on my truck is 78:1. Twice as low as most stock fullsize 4wd pickups.

straps57

Observer
Oh ok I got.
Auto Trac is not actually a full-time awd system like Toyota land cruiser 80 or old land rovers.
It's a part-time 4wd system with an ability to automatically engage front wheels as needed. It's not a bad system at all, I would just prefer a "classic" awd system with a mechanical central diff lock.
I grew up with classic land rovers and I still think they had simple and yet most sophisticated full-time awd system with 3.5 factory low gear.

I will be on the market in a year or so. I'll be debating between this and taco.
we'll see. :D

One thing I hate in colorado is the 4wd actuator on the left side.
It's so small. I feel it's "hidden" from the driver. In taco the most of off-roading tools are on central panel. They are bold and evident.

It has both full time 4x4 as well as "AWD" In full time 4x4 there is no disengaging of the front wheels.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I was digging into the transmission details also. The ZR2 has selectable diffs probably electric like the yota. The transmission is the same setup as the stock colorado/canyon. Which is a system GM has run for a long time. All the Suburbans through the early 2000's have the same awd, 2wheel drive, and 4x4 mode etc.

The biggest gripe everyone has is the hard to see 4x4 knob agreed. I bet the zr2 has it some place else and I bet the 2018 colorado and Canyon have it relocated also.

I'd like to grab a canyon Denali for the ventilated seats which should be work truck option.. sweaty work guys would love em. Then find those sliders and add those. I like the narrower footprint of the midsized rig. A wide midsized I'd just get a full sized rig at the same price point. LoL but I'm really glad GM did it. Toyota needs a swift boot to its engineering ******** its been sitting on its thumbs far to long.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Oh and manual shifting is on the center shifter 1-6. No chasing stupid paddles around the wheel trying to find a gear. I have those on my Subaru by far the dumbest auto trend going. If the effing window wiper stock is stationary the damn upshift and down shift shure as hell should always be in the same place and most definitely not reversed. God I hate the flappy paddles. I'd like to beat the marketing wiz over the head with my steering wheel that spins the shifter paddles.

mccustomize

Explorer
Oh and manual shifting is on the center shifter 1-6. No chasing stupid paddles around the wheel trying to find a gear. I have those on my Subaru by far the dumbest auto trend going. If the effing window wiper stock is stationary the damn upshift and down shift shure as hell should always be in the same place and most definitely not reversed. God I hate the flappy paddles. I'd like to beat the marketing wiz over the head with my steering wheel that spins the shifter paddles.

That's because your hands should stay in the same positions during aggressive driving which the paddles are intended for. Cheap cars have stationary paddles, expensive cars have paddles that turn with the wheel which is why you are able to up/down shift in the middle of a turn or entering/exiting a turn.

DaveInDenver

BgAHFygdER8LGxgADQE6AgIFBRArVUNeVFNBVFlUQlkMQFVCXQ8TFQ==.jpg

Should manufacturers really be encouraging this sort of deviant behavior with shifter paddles when they are doing everything possible to otherwise neuter pickups to prevent them from being, well, trucks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman