3 weeks exploring Baja...

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Keep going....

I have done this same route at different times ( twice SOLO )and I am curious to your encounter with the police impostors!:Wow1:

Was this at the washboard road, time it happen!

I am unsure if I want to go SOLO again in April! hummmm!

LilKJ

Adventurer
Day 8- Whales

Our second day at Mario's... had to stay in order to go see the whales...
IMG_2207editresize.jpg

Woke up to a new sight... condensation... and lots of it... not too fun for a canvas tent
IMG_7560editresize.jpg

Early that morning we loaded onto a bus with another couple from California and headed out to the bay to see the calving whales...
IMG_0019editresize.jpg

Sea Lions on the way out...
IMG_0073editresize.jpg

Guerrero Negro is the only place I've seen where sand dunes come straight out of the ocean.
IMG_0070editresize.jpg

Baby whale coming to check things out...
IMG_0031editresize.jpg

...and there were plenty of them... everywhere!
IMG_0036editresize.jpg

After a long day on the water we headed back to Mario's for some dinner... they were already preparing the meat for the evening...
IMG_2202editresize.jpg

The awesome people at Mario's...
IMG_2205editresize.jpg

IMG_2204editresize.jpg

Things also took an unexpected turn this day... the group disbanded and our companions decided to head back north to the U.S. That changed things quite a bit for us... couldn't quite take the same chances off road anymore... but the journey went on...

LilKJ

Adventurer
Keep going....

I have done this same route at different times ( twice SOLO )and I am curious to your encounter with the police impostors!:Wow1:

Was this at the washboard road, time it happen!

I am unsure if I want to go SOLO again in April! hummmm!

Our group split up after day 8 and we did the rest solo... no problems there and I wouldn't hesitate just now...

LilKJ

Adventurer
Day 9- Flying Solo to Bahia Concepcion

After breakfast at Mario's... we hit the road for Bahia Concepcion... we had run into a caravan from Vagubundos Del Mar and they were really helpful with recommending places to camp and what to expect...

On the road again...
IMG_2218editresize.jpg

A giant bag of dates seemed like a good thing to have... about $2 per bag...
IMG_2223editresize.jpg

The road to Mulege (Moo-le-hay)
IMG_2229editresize.jpg

Entrance to the town of Mulege...
IMG_2236editresize.jpg

The guard chicken of Santispac Lagoon... awesome place to stay...
IMG_2241editresize.jpg

Some views from camp...
IMG_2246editresize.jpg

IMG_7562editresize.jpg

Little did we know, the restaurant at Santispac "Ana's" gets quite crazy on Saturday nights. I'm pretty sure we were the only people there not eligible for AARP but it was a rocking little party.
IMG_7578editresize.jpg

IMG_7579editresize.jpg

This is Bob, the DJ.... awesome guy
IMG_7582editresize.jpg

So after far too much Tequila, I stumbled back to the campsite and proceeded to fall off of the tent ladder... twice... eventually I made it though...

LilKJ

Adventurer
Day 10- Stopover in Ciudad Constitucion... and the first hot shower

On the southbound road again... had to stop and check out the coast before we headed inland
IMG_2254editresize.jpg

Oops... this is what happens when a Pemex employee tries to "top off" the Jeep. I get a nice scare...
IMG_2258editresize.jpg

Our destination for the day was Palapa 206 in Ciudad Consticucion. The town isn't really anything special, but they have a big grocery store and lots of places to restock. The couple that owns Palapa 206 are great and their son (8 or so) is very eager to help with anything you need. They also have a propane water heater!!!
IMG_2272editresize.jpg

Only downside are the roosters... they seem to think it's always morning...
IMG_2271editresize.jpg

This is their dog, Archie... he was hilarious... and tiny...
IMG_2263editresize.jpg

Didn't feel like going anywhere.. ham and cheese for dinner...
IMG_2268editresize.jpg

The owners had this very cool diesel mitsubishi truck... he said it uses the same engine as the Pajero...
IMG_2273editresize.jpg

After an awesome supply of unlimited hot water I was useless and laid in the tent... down here a hot shower becomes somethign to reflect on ;)

LilKJ

Adventurer
Day 11- Cabo or bust...

Off we went... we had a long day ahead of us and had to navigate through La Paz and Los Cabos...

This is reason #1 why you don't drive here at night...
IMG_2275editresize.jpg

North of La Paz... stands like this are the places to eat... the best food comes from the little guys here...
IMG_2287editresize.jpg

My $2 lunch...
IMG_2286editresize.jpg

On through La Paz... no pics from in town... we were too busy trying to figure out how traffic works ;)
IMG_2277editresize.jpg

CABO SAN LUCAS!!! a.k.a Gringoville.... it was an amazing culture shock after being in so many small towns. After walking through Cabo for an hour we had been offered Marijuana, Cocaine, Ecstacy, and various prescription drugs... it didn't take us long to get tired of the area....
IMG_2298editresize.jpg

How to not fit in: bring your RTT and Jeep to the Vagubundos Del Mar RV Park
IMG_2306editresize.jpg

The Vagubundos do have an awesome taco tray though!
IMG_2305editresize.jpg

LilKJ

Adventurer
Day 12- Cabo Pulmo

Started the day out with some espresso... after almost 2 weeks it was nice to not have camp coffee.
IMG_2307editresize.jpg

Then we had some unfinished business in Cabo San Lucas...
IMG_0102editresize.jpg

That's right... parasailing... booya
IMG_0118editresize.jpg

Can't beat the view from 600ft...
IMG_0122editresize.jpg

After that... we were out of there... after we stopped for burritos...
IMG_0131editresize.jpg

Destination: Cabo Pulmo. We wanted to do come snorkeling and people told us that Cabo Pulmo is the place to do it... we chose to go the long way down a very rough coastal road.
IMG_0132editresize.jpg

IMG_2328editresize.jpg

IMG_2322editresize.jpg

IMG_2311editresize.jpg

LilKJ

Adventurer
One downside was that the wind went crazy when we showed up... we had to park the Jeep back in an arroyo to get out of the wind.
IMG_0134editresize.jpg

Investigating some snorkeling spots... look at the big palm tree as a wind gauge...
IMG_0138editresize.jpg

This is the trail to an awesome snorkeling area... unfortunately the wind created some nasty conditions and we couldn't go.
IMG_0142editresize.jpg

Dinner for the evening... a seafood salad... not really sure if everything was cooked or not... oh well
IMG_2337editresize.jpg

With no snorkeling to be done and sand blowing everywhere, we decided to leave our south-facing beach for a north-facing one tomorrow.... back up to La Paz.

LilKJ

Adventurer
Day 13- Back to La Paz

We were supposed to spend this day snorkeling but we were off on the road again... off to Tecolote Beach, just north of La Paz.

Mission at Santa Rosalia on the way...
IMG_2342editresize.jpg

Stopped to check out some seafood... then felt too lazy to prepare anything...
IMG_0156editresize.jpg

Off to the beach...
IMG_2348editresize.jpg

Looks like a good enough spot...
IMG_2350editresize.jpg

Then I spent the rest of the day trying to catch grouper off of a rocky point... no luck...
IMG_2354editresize.jpg

So I resorted to eating fried octopus...:)
IMG_2352editresize.jpg

Playa Tecolote
IMG_2358editresize.jpg

Not bad for a free place to stay...

LilKJ

Adventurer
Day 14- Back to Santispac

After some discussion, we decided that we liked Bahia Concepcion and wanted to go back there for a few days... it was a decent day on the road but it's a gorgeous drive north from La Paz.

Lunch at another small stand... awesome Carne Asada
IMG_2364editresize.jpg

A ways from where we started...
IMG_2363editresize.jpg

Some areas look like Arizona Desert
IMG_2380editresize.jpg

Back to Bahia Concepcion...
IMG_2370editresize.jpg

Many people kept telling us that we should camp at this beach... only a Jeep (or something similar) can make it across the sand to the other side. The sand bridge is underwater at high tide and your camp is isolated across the water until the tide goes back out.
IMG_2386editresize.jpg

Our camp back at Santispac... there's a remote corner that the big RV's can't get to.
IMG_2396editresize.jpg

IMG_2390editresize.jpg

Only in Baja ;)
IMG_2392editresize.jpg

LilKJ

Adventurer
Day 15- Fishing, Missions, and Mulege

This was a very laid back day to explore the town of Mulege, do some shopping, and be lazy in general...
Some buildings in Mulege...
IMG_2398editresize.jpg

IMG_2400editresize.jpg

The old mission overlooking town...
IMG_2409editresize.jpg

IMG_2408editresize.jpg

Not a bad view from the mission...
IMG_2402editresize.jpg

Then it was time for some afternoon snorkeling...
IMG_0169editresize.jpg

IMG_0175editresize.jpg

...and I was determined to actually catch a fish...
IMG_0185editresize.jpg

...and I did... the smallest fish in Baja
IMG_0178editresize.jpg

LilKJ

Adventurer
Day 16- Tecate, Scallops, Spearfishing, and Jellyfish

We came across an opportunity that we couldn't pass up... head out with a local guide for some lessons on how to catch the local seafood.... sweetness...

Started off the day with some freshly delivered tamales from Roberta (a local)... they were beyond good
IMG_2411editresize.jpg

IMG_2412editresize.jpg

We took off while I practiced posing for my Abercrombie spread...
IMG_0193editresize.jpg

Not bad to start the day... a big bag of ginormous clams.
IMG_0198editresize.jpg

...and an octopus... plus 6 fish for cooking... and 8 large scallops
IMG_0221editresize.jpg

We were being watched closely...
IMG_0228editresize.jpg

Daniel, our trusty guide. He only drinks Tecate Light because he says normal Tecate makes him too drunk to drive the boat
IMG_0224editresize.jpg

LilKJ

Adventurer
After we had our catch for the day (an I had been stung by a jellyfish)... Daniel took us to this isolated beach out on an island to cook what we caught.
IMG_0248editresize.jpg

The guy had come out here years ago and hollowed out these rocks for cooking... pretty sweet...
IMG_0236editresize.jpg

The goods...
IMG_0243editresize.jpg

The group... at left are the Canadians that were camped near us. Then is John from Colorado (solo dual sport rider). Then Nicole and Daniel.
IMG_0240editresize.jpg

We were all stuffed... so we sat around, drank Tecate, and relaxed...
IMG_0250editresize.jpg

I think we got our poses down on the trip back...
IMG_0251editresize.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal