AEV Brute: The Ultimate Overlander?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I agree. I think the Brute is a toy for those with disposable income. It does not do any job better than any other SINGLE vehicle on the market enough to validate its price tag.

Yup, as a design concept, I see it as being VERY marketable, and would very much consider it if it were in the $ range of the normal rubicon JKU, but then again, I'm still not sure what I would use SUCH a small bed for?

I own a trooper, and it's GREAT at hauling gear because of how cavernous it is inside compared with how big it is outside. the JKU is just the opposite, it's got a fairly large profile, with a comparitively small interior space. (I've got 3 kids, and with the 5 of us in a JK, it gets cramped really quick.)

I've sat in the newer Taco's and the feeling leans much more towards the trooper, in that there seems to be quite a bit more room than you're expecting.

I can imagine that I would have to run something like a lumber rack with the jeep to carry all our gear, and would need waterproof, lockable storage for everything outside. Once I did that however, I'm in the realm of a taco with a camper, with a simple thule rack and a cargo box on top for probably WAY less money than the custom/aftermarket top that I'd have to get for the Wrangler since it's not a factory setup...

Just some thoughts. pick them apart as you see fit. :D

Scott Brady

Founder
Scott, you shouldn't make such assumptions about a person's fiscal ability or responsibility, you essentially just called this person "poor" on a public forum. I'm sure there are some people who do actually have the money for such a toy but find it to be unwise to buy one based on its lack of real purpose in their eyes. I personally own 5 vehicles plus a boat and would never call my neighbor(who happens to be a financial adviser) with 2 cars "poor" if he thinks I spend too much on having fun.

It was a general statement, not necessarily targeted at the poster. It is a recurring theme. Because someone buys a Brute, "they have more money than sense". It is classic drivel fueled by insecurity, nothing more.

Scott Brady

Founder
I know "Ultimate" does not take into account value, so I will shy away from that determining factor. Furthermore, for overland type of adventures, you would want more of an international platform. I have not traveled to most countries, so others can chime in, but how popular are Jeeps internationally if you need parts, quickly?

If you note in the article, I am specific about this being an "ultimate" choice for North America only.

Scott Brady

Founder
As for the Brute itself, I would take the H3 SUT, Colorado 4 door diesel, or a DC Tacoma over the Brute.

Have you driven the Brute?

I have driven all of them, and cost aside those other vehicles don't compare. The difference in capability with a Wrangler Rubicon platform is shocking. The Brute is also supremely comfortable for rear passengers and benefits from all of that serious Rubicon hardware, including swaybar disconnect, front and rear lockers, solid front axle, 4:1 transfer case, etc.

In addition, the H3T and Colorado are not available as a current model. . .

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I agree. I think the Brute is a toy for those with disposable income. It does not do any job better than any other SINGLE vehicle on the market enough to validate its price tag.

Have you driven or tested the Brute? Just curious what experienced formed that opinion. . .

As mentioned multiple times, "Ultimate" must exclude the consideration for price. If we were awarding the best value, then the outcome would be different. This article does not even attempt to validate the price tag, and without question, the Brute in fact does a better job than anything available in North America. The only vehicle that will outperform it in stock form is a Rubicon Wrangler, but the Wrangler lacks the utility of a bed. For North America, the advantage of a bed WITH the performance of the Rubicon platform sets the Brute apart. Just a fact.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Something along the lines of the AEV ram seem like more bang for the buck. I'm not sure if they are even for sale, but I'm assuming with 35's the price would be similar?
Hey Scott, happy friday! :)

If you'll take another look at the OP by Mr. Brady,you'll see he's opening up a dialogue and specifically asking for opinions on whether the vehicle in question is the "ultimate Overlander", regardless of price. My opinion is that I can get a factory fresh TRD Tacoma, add one aftermarket goody (or two, if I take Hilldweller's post into consideration) and be on par with the specs of the Wrangler. That would be my choice.

It's just a friendly discussion, who's topic I happen to have a dissenting opinion.
Is it a nice truck? For sure.
Cool factor? Yup, droolworthy.
Would I choose it for my travels across the US/canada/mexico? Nope.

Expand on your 3/4 crew comment, please, if you would... Why would that be your choice?

Scott Brady

Founder
Yeah, that Chevrolet Colorado is a better choice . . . ;)

10269451_10152864811028275_8744839361024727459_n.jpg

WrenchMonkey

Mechanical Animal
Have you driven the Brute? I have driven all of them...

Well, I guess that makes you as close to an expert as we've got, since most of us haven't (and won't) even see one in person. :sombrero:
So I'll ask, can you shed any light on the gvw concerns? Does the converted Brute retain the VIN of the JK on which it was based? And thus, the GVWR? Does it actually exceed that rating, empty, sitting at the curb?
Because I've searched all I care to, and I can't find it addressed anywhere.
Thanks!

In addition, the H3T and Colorado are not available as a current model. . .

True the H3T is not being sold new any longer, and even though it had a very limited production run, around 1800, I would say that H3T's are still more readily available to the average Joe looking to get a four door offroad rig with a small box, front and rear lockers and a 4:1 transfer case. Of course the I5 option I would say in not comparable but the Alpha certainly is.

I love the Brute, but the limited availability and price made me realize that it wasn't going to happen... Which brought me to the H3T and I am plenty happy.... And bias ;)

Sent from handheld smoke signal device

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I'm trying to figure out why Scott is being so defensive of the Brute and hyping it up, did he buy one and is trying to justify the purchase price? Just curious here is all.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
True the H3T is not being sold new any longer, and even though it had a very limited production run, around 1800, I would say that H3T's are still more readily available to the average Joe looking to get a four door offroad rig with a small box, front and rear lockers and a 4:1 transfer case. Of course the I5 option I would say in not comparable but the Alpha certainly is.

I love the Brute, but the limited availability and price made me realize that it wasn't going to happen... Which brought me to the H3T and I am plenty happy.... And bias ;)

Not to mention a smoother ride. I'm sure some will try to say it's not on par with the JK due to the IFS, but there are videos to support the off road prowess of the H3T.

Not to mention a smoother ride. I'm sure some will try to say it's not on par with the JK due to the IFS, but there are videos to support the off road prowess of the H3T.

I can't comment on the ride quality of the Brute, sounds like they made lots of changes to the suspension dynamics. But there is no comparison between the on road manors of the H3T and a stock JK... A few reviews in various off road magazines have a made the same comment.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I'm trying to figure out why Scott is being so defensive of the Brute and hyping it up, did he buy one and is trying to justify the purchase price? Just curious here is all.

LOL> No I sincerely doubt that is the case. His XP Camper was more expensive, and his Range Rover (wife's) is probably about the same cost. As Scott has said repeatedly, this is about capability, not cost. As a former Rubicon Owner, I agree. There really is no comparison about what the Jeep can do in technical terrain, and the Brute adds other capabilities and comforts as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl