(Another) Forest Living Suburban Build Thread

rayra

Expedition Leader
Nice find! That looks real promising, especially the schematic. Tank and saddle straps look the same as our 32gal tank setup. I know there's some parts commonality but thought I'd read the frame was different. Is this actually the same size, the same tank parts as the GMT800s?

The lines on the schematic seem to indicate that tub bolts on at the same locations as the saddle straps. I mean there are tabs that attach at the same locations for bolt-attachment on the T-slot side and uses double-ended bolts to replace the bolts of the saddle straps.

I presume the factory sheet metal shield we have between our tank and driveshaft would need to come out.

The tub appears to be the same sort of fiber-reinforced plastic as the factory chin 'skidplate'.

Only question is how much lower does it hang? IIRC the bottom of our tanks is flush with the bottom of our frame rails.

For the money it sure seems like a good choice. I'm looking at that ballpark just to get the plate metal and have a few bends done on it. My own designs are narrowing down to a flat plate, with some bends to form narrow valleys where the saddle straps are, thinking to put the plate between the tank and straps. The bends would be made to be flush to the tank at the strapping, but have about a finger-thickness of standoff from the belly of the tank, so the plate could take a sharp hit and not impinge on the tank.

Need to find some pics of the tub in place on an H2, find someone here with an H2 and get some good photos of the details.

This is a great find if it fits. It matches the design criteria I was looking for. I'm going to go look up some parts listings and see if the tank etc is the same.

Burb One

Adventurer
Nice find! That looks real promising, especially the schematic. Tank and saddle straps look the same as our 32gal tank setup. I know there's some parts commonality but thought I'd read the frame was different. Is this actually the same size, the same tank parts as the GMT800s?

The lines on the schematic seem to indicate that tub bolts on at the same locations as the saddle straps. I mean there are tabs that attach at the same locations for bolt-attachment on the T-slot side and uses double-ended bolts to replace the bolts of the saddle straps.

I presume the factory sheet metal shield we have between our tank and driveshaft would need to come out.

The tub appears to be the same sort of fiber-reinforced plastic as the factory chin 'skidplate'.

Only question is how much lower does it hang? IIRC the bottom of our tanks is flush with the bottom of our frame rails.

For the money it sure seems like a good choice. I'm looking at that ballpark just to get the place metal and have a few bends done on it. My own designs are narrowing down to a flat plate, with some bends to form narrow valleys where the saddle straps are, thinking to put the plate between the tank and straps. The bends would be made to be flush to the tank at the strapping, but have about a finger-thickness of standoff from the belly of the tank, so the plate could take a sharp hit and not impinge on the tank.

Need to find some pics of the tub in place on an H2, find someone here with an H2 and get some good photos of the details.

This is a great find if it fits. It matches the design criteria I was looking for. I'm going to go look up some parts listings and see if the tank etc is the same.

That schematic was what caught my eye too. It looks the same as our tanks, and the same size as well. It must be the same, I don't know why Chevy would design two different ones and knowing the cheapskates they are, it would be surprising.

I was thinking that metal, may just be too heavy. Over the years, my fears of cracking it in one go has been lessened, my worry is more of scrapes(of which I have a couple already), which this would be a fix for. I would think this wouldn't sit much below the tank, and would flex if coming down on it so whatever it pressing will then hit the frame.....

I'm going to make sure next time I see an H2 in a parking lot to jump under it and take a look. Let me know if you find any part number interchanges, I'll look as well.

rayra

Expedition Leader
straps are different numbers between Subs and H2. Tanks look different. I don't think this will be a straight bolt-in. But it certainly spawns additional mounting methods for a bottom plate.

I wonder how readily a second set of hanger straps could be added on top of the others. It would certainly make installing a plate pretty easy.

Maybe too with some sort of standoff fitting on the tank trap bolt, allowing the second straps to fit more loosely, a bottom plate could just be left flat altogether and just make it pinch-waisted where the straps have to wrap around it. You wouldn't want to grind / high center on it, but it would work fine for running over ladders on the freeway.

Jelorian

Adventurer
Sounds like a plan, make sure to get a quality one(I got Curt off of Amazon ,both the receiver and the winch carrier)

I got the same setup. I cut a square hole in the lower valance. I just need to do the wiring and install the line on the spool and I'm good to go. But...I have to remove my N-Fab Prerunner light bar in order for it to fit, which is kind of a bummer.

Jelorian

Adventurer
Great trip report! Glad to hear your rig came out mostly unscathed. Loved all the pics as well. I think once Moab gets on a bucket list...it always stays there! I'm itching to get out there soon. Did you guys ever get in a situation where you had to use your winch or any traction aids?

tgdoumit

Adventurer
Took a trip to Moab a week ago. Some teaser pics, need to organize my pictures and my buddies' pictures. I'll do a photo dump at some point soon and a trip recap!

Moab is amazing. Could live there for years and not see everything. Truck was flawless. Put 3200 miles on her, more than 300 off road, only damage was some back luck with a rock scratch on a door and came down on one of my rear sway bar mounts and bent the busing/ mount, that's it. Couldn't believe what the truck was capable of doing.

you were there the week before me and as you said it is amazing!
we have been going every year since 2000. i have gotten to know it quite well in those years and am always glad to see people visiting moab.
nice rig by the way!

Burb One

Adventurer
Great trip report! Glad to hear your rig came out mostly unscathed. Loved all the pics as well. I think once Moab gets on a bucket list...it always stays there! I'm itching to get out there soon. Did you guys ever get in a situation where you had to use your winch or any traction aids?

Thanks! We got to finally get together soon.

Luckily we didn't have to use any traction aids, except 4Low, good spotting, lockers, and reversing and trying again:) This was probably mostly due to it being pretty dry the whole week, except for one night of rain.

- Thanks Tim!

Burb One

Adventurer
Well finally had time to stitch some videos together. Kind of just picked randomly and put them in, figured everywhere was equally as interesting. All that time rendering and I messed up the audio.... Seems when I slowed the video down in the beginning it ruined the audio. Not sure why... I didn't want to have tor render again and the audio is all but worthless anway, so it will have to do.

I think the videos will show how capable the suspension is. The front view from the tow hook really shows how smooth the suspension is, it really does feel like gliding.

First clip is some high speed stuff, I slowed down so you can see the amount of travel. Second video is also slowed down so you can see the random rock on the trail that nicked the paint on my doors. Rest of the videos are regular speed.

Also, sorry about the quality of the first video. It was the best high speed video showing the range of full compression. Hard to hold a phone camera out the window at those speed:) Of course that good run (just coming out of camp) was when the "high-tech" wi-fi GoPro remote stopped working and didn't record the great front view of the suspension like the other videos. Anyway, you can see us on the trail going about 25mph behind the FJ, then we kick it up on the side from 50-70 to pass on some whoops, maybe get a couple inches under the tires, I can't tell. In the other videos, you can really see the coilovers (and also my sway bar move around due to improperly sized bushings)

I simply dragged and dropped a few different views. If interested in the coilovers. I would watch the first few minutes then just skip every 5 minutes to see the different views.

I'll make sure next time we go out to get the good GoPro stable view of the suspension working!

I haven't even watched all of it:)

Last edited:

Atomic178

Wow it sounds like a great time and I am super happy everything worked out well for you! That video is really cool and you can really see the suspension working, I am very glad it performed like you hoped it would. How were the trans shift points offroad and on the highway?

Burb One

Adventurer
Wow it sounds like a great time and I am super happy everything worked out well for you! That video is really cool and you can really see the suspension working, I am very glad it performed like you hoped it would. How were the trans shift points offroad and on the highway?

Thanks Atomic! Very happy with the suspension.

The shift points are definitely an improvement, cruise control still has a tendency to downshift hard when going up mild grades, but all the rest is definitely a major improvement in lazy throttle driving!

Burb One

Adventurer
All of them are a cheapy clamp that either came from the go pro or a $10 gopro mounting kit from Amazon. Works pretty well other than we had some problems with the Wifi phone/ remote control on my friends brand new Hero4(or whatever number they are up to now)

My Gopro Hero 2's worked flawlessly, like they have for better half of a decade

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
Wonderful pics, looks like a great trip and brings back great memories. I absolutely cannot wait to get my Suburban HD done to take the family back down. Wonderful area and amazing experience for sure. Thanks for sharing!

Best of Luck,

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal