Anybody heard from Colorado Camper Vans?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Well, it goes like this...

SMB uses the same top they designed 20 years ago with no changes whatsoever (the sales guy bragged about this). The bed lifting panel is a ridiculously cheesy contraption that hangs on crimped cables. Frankly it looks home built. All the hardware Ive seen seen looks like it came from a 1985 caddy eldorado. The bed is way too narrow, especially considering the width of these vans. And they do not offer any insulated fabric. Really, the only thing that appeals to me about SMB tops is the super sleek low pro fiberglass. they look amazing. The takaway was that A: Earning my business was beneath them, B: they have a very unimproved, old fashioned top.

GTRV tops appeal to me because of the low pro fiberglass. I do not want the side lift top, and they still have not returned my call two weeks later as to whether they will build a full pop. Called again yesterday, then today. nothing yet. There is very little specifics on their site. From very scrattered bits online, I hear the quality is excellent.

CCV tops check alot of boxes for me in terms of room, insulated canvas, and rollover bed design. What initially turned me onto them was a youtube video showing a EB van he had just done. The profile of the midsize top was the nicest Ive seen. On their site, they show a low, mid, and hi top. Evidently the low is no longer available, and the mid rise I really like has been switched to one that I think is a bit gaudy. Im not even considering a hi top. If I do use a CCV, I will have it shipped and I will install it in my shop.

If this post is inappropriate for this thread, Ill be happy to move it to PMs.

I continue to be surprised by the handles and such they use. Straight from my grandma's 1960 cabinets!
I thought SMB does offer an Arctic insulation package for the canvas sides?(canvas is the nicest part of the SMB top, and it appears to be done by an outside company). One option that I really appreciated when speaking with Alan at SMB was for a custom color canvas vs their tan. He offered to eat some of the costs for their supplier to order more bulk material in in a custom color. The upcharge for the custom color canvas was astonishingly fair.
Sorry to hear they didn't want to earn your business. :(

The low CCV is no longer? Any pics of the mid? Downside for high top for me is that I want to load kayaks and such up there, so the higher the top the more challenging this will be. Derek will ship his top for someone else to install?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Chris! Please return my call and emails... Looking forward to doing business with ya!
Have you tried emailing him as well? That's always worked quickest for me.

E2XuJ.gif
********!!

I will start a new thread soon with details.
I just saw the release on your thread; http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/96155-MG-Metalworks-Quadvan-Build/page52
Can't wait to hear more!!

Augdog1964

Hey all,

I was the original poster of this thread, but I've been away for awhile. Had no idea this would still be grabbing posts...

As an update, I did have a top put on by CCV. As I said originally, his top is the best. You can walk around inside, it goes up and down fantastic, and it looks great. I also had CCV install a rear view camera and stereo.

The results are as follows:

1) Top, best design, best function, best bed. Just had my interior done by Sportsmobile, and they were very impressed with the top.
2) Paint: Not good... terrible finish on the top painted black to match the truck. I would NOT have CCV paint my top... Derek has said he would pay to have the top repainted or fixed. I've not been able to address it as just after he said he'd do that, the van left for Sportsmobile, and I was just able to pick it up at SMB.
3) Had a fantastic fan put on the top... looks horrible. The top was only so thick, so the fan unit sticks up and was not painted to match the top... so we have a black top with a white "ring" sticking up out of it... should be a way to address... at a minimum I would have had it painted before it left my shop to disguise it.
4) Derek was supposed to be putting a rack on the top as well. When I got there the rack was not completed or ready. He said he would ship the rack to me for installation... (I'm in Indiana and drove to CO for install)... to date no rack or info on where or if it will come.
5) I was also going to have them quote an interior... they were to ship designs and costs... I don't believe I ever got those, so I went SMB.

Communication:

1) Derek responded after I put this thread on, and continued to communicate. After being there they are a small operation, but definitely need to upgrade their response ability.

Other:

1) The wiring running for the rear camera was very poor. Just laid on the rails and here and there tie wrapped. Not good.
2) Stereo was not installed properly... SMB had to fix.

The van now has a complete SMB interior and we love what SMB did... frankly the CCV top and SMB interior is what I believe the best van alternative. Add to that a Ujoint 4x4 system and it would be ultimate. My rig was purchased with an Advanced 4x4 setup already installed or Chris would have done the 4x4 conversion.

I'll post pics when I get back home...

Dave Bane
Augdog1964

djbonsu

Adventurer
Well, mike from GTRV just called me back. They no longer do Econoline tops. Dont have the molds, not interested in doing them. He cited the aforementioned " we dont put tops on vans that are worth less than the tops" as a reason. I guess he hasnt gone van shopping recently.

Sigh....I was just talking about tops and the most appealing to me was GTRV because of the "low profile". Hopefully someone will make a top similar to the GTRV t-top or v-top profile.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Figure around $6k give or take depending on options but that was a couple of years ago and maybe CCV can post again with some current pricing for Astro / Safari.

mikracer

Adventurer
Price for E Series van top is $7,400 for the top. Add $$$ for paint, extra insulation, triple wall canvas, etc. Depending on options it comes out to a little less than a power SMB top.

goneagain

Observer
I continue to be surprised by the handles and such they use. Straight from my grandma's 1960 cabinets!
I thought SMB does offer an Arctic insulation package for the canvas sides?(canvas is the nicest part of the SMB top, and it appears to be done by an outside company). One option that I really appreciated when speaking with Alan at SMB was for a custom color canvas vs their tan. He offered to eat some of the costs for their supplier to order more bulk material in in a custom color. The upcharge for the custom color canvas was astonishingly fair.
Sorry to hear they didn't want to earn your business. :(

The low CCV is no longer? Any pics of the mid? Downside for high top for me is that I want to load kayaks and such up there, so the higher the top the more challenging this will be. Derek will ship his top for someone else to install?

According to smb, they dont have any insulated option. The real turnoff for me is how small it is though.

Something worth noting, neither the smb or ccv will support any real weight when lifting. I think ccv is 75lb max, smb 100lb.

I too am looking forward to carrying kayaks up there. Im not really excited about pulling them off every time i raise the top.

Stephan told me they would ship me out a top. They have no legitimate step by step install guide, so the installer will need to be pretty saavy. I dont think the cost is much different between shipping and installed by ccv. My main question is how much is left to the installer and how much is pre cut/ pre assembled.

As i understand it, they only have two tops now. The hi top and the mid. I was told the mid top is the one on their site atop the grey EB van.

dmilamj

Astro top CCV experience

I had a pretty good experience with CCV. I think you can get a good product from them as long as you keep your expectations in check. I had a pop top put on a '04 Astro van. I was originally told that the van would be ready December 1st but I actually ended up picking it up the 2nd week of January, so about 6 weeks late.

That being said, I like the top, and the quality and function seem quite good. The pricing on the fan and solar panel were also reasonable.

Derek and I talked at length about their communication issues and he was well aware of them. He is going through the growing pains of starting and running a rapidly expanding business.

1der

Observer
Was just at CCV yesterday as we are passing through (we live in San Francisco) at the beginning of a month long ski trip and wanted to say his do be able to give a first hand observation. They are freaking busy. No less than 15 vans in process, every bay full, 6 people working flat out. Ford, Chevy, Pro masters, and Sprinters. Pretty much the same scenarios each of the three other times I have been by there over the past year.

I worked with Derek to get the mid size top into production. We have the first midsize EB top to come off the mold. We have had it since June 2015 and absolutely love it. It is the bomb. We are currently on a month long ski trip around the Rockies and Sierras spending most nights in the van. The insulated top and canvas have performed really well. The Espar D4 has effortlessly (running on low setting) provided heat when we are top up. D2 would probably have been sufficient but wanted to cover zero degree nights. About 10 deg difference between under the bunk and above. We slide the bed forward about ten inches to allow the heat from below to rise up the back wall. The whole setup is very comfortable. We expect some some zero nights before the trip is over so our configuration will get a good test. Not bad since I still need to insulate all the doors and make better fitting window covers.

Re: lift capabilities - we have a 300w panel, extended mega warrior basket, and currently a ski rack on cross bars with two pairs of skis and poles. Just over 100 lbs of stuff in addition to the top. No issues going up or down, at all. The actuators have 1000 lb capacity, it is the geometry of the lift mechanism when down which is the limiting factor. The hi top starts at a higher leverage angle than the mid.

Re: roof fan - we passed on this. When the roof is up, there are openings galore for ventilation. Second, We planned and installed a large single 300w solar panel and Yakima basket, so there was not going to be room for a fan. We have pop out and awning windows all around so air flow is sufficient for us with the top down. Ymmv.

Re: Paint - we had the top painted to color match the bronze 2002 Ford body color. It is certainly acceptable, not car show quality. Would I have CCV do it again? Pretty sure I would since having the top painted after it is installed would be a real pain in the butt masking everything else off. The paint bay is not a fully dedicated spray booth but the spray job on our top was okay, and I have seen others which were okay as well.

We are super happy with the CCV top and have found Derek and his crew to be great people to work with. It is a small operation doing custom and semi custom work. They are buried with work and put out a dang great top. That is why they are in very high demand and super busy. Be kind-hearted persistent and patient and you will be rewarded. If you are impatient, you will probably be frustrated.

We will be around Jackson Hole, Grand Teton NP, Sun Valley, Mammoth and Tahoe/ Reno, in that order, over the next four weeks. PM me if you want to see what a CCV top looks like inside and out. Thanks!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
According to smb, they dont have any insulated option. The real turnoff for me is how small it is though.

Something worth noting, neither the smb or ccv will support any real weight when lifting. I think ccv is 75lb max, smb 100lb.

I too am looking forward to carrying kayaks up there. Im not really excited about pulling them off every time i raise the top.

Stephan told me they would ship me out a top. They have no legitimate step by step install guide, so the installer will need to be pretty saavy. I dont think the cost is much different between shipping and installed by ccv. My main question is how much is left to the installer and how much is pre cut/ pre assembled.

As i understand it, they only have two tops now. The hi top and the mid. I was told the mid top is the one on their site atop the grey EB van.

Odd, SMB must have discontinued the "Arctic insulation" package they had told me about. Also of note, they no longer have an E-Series van Penthouse top page on their site anymore. Seems they're moving away from them for the Transit.

Wait, capacity at only 75lbs for CCV and 100lbs for SMB? Do you mean for the manual lifting top or the electric lifting top? I see all these people with roof racks, kayaks, gear, etc---so you think all of those people have manual lifters and are engaging in a Strong Man competition inside their van to push the loaded top up themselves??? :Wow1:

I'm right there with you on the kayaks and leaving them up there. What a hassle to have to remove 100lbs of kayaks to go to sleep or cook a meal (with headroom).

I agree with your "shipped top" questions.

Thanks for the continued info!

Ray, Any chance you could post some pics of your rack and solar set up?

Did you have Derek do it, or did you add them yourself?

-Mike

1der

Observer
Hi Mike, Derek installed the tracks. I did the rest. Pretty easy with the T-Track. Here are some just taken pics. Just stopped for lunch on way up to Jackson, WY :)
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333