Anybody heard from Colorado Camper Vans?

goneagain

Observer
Curious as to your findings SMB vs CCV vs GT-RV.

Well, it goes like this...

SMB uses the same top they designed 20 years ago with no changes whatsoever (the sales guy bragged about this). The bed lifting panel is a ridiculously cheesy contraption that hangs on crimped cables. Frankly it looks home built. All the hardware Ive seen seen looks like it came from a 1985 caddy eldorado. The bed is way too narrow, especially considering the width of these vans. And they do not offer any insulated fabric. Really, the only thing that appeals to me about SMB tops is the super sleek low pro fiberglass. they look amazing. The takaway was that A: Earning my business was beneath them, B: they have a very unimproved, old fashioned top.

GTRV tops appeal to me because of the low pro fiberglass. I do not want the side lift top, and they still have not returned my call two weeks later as to whether they will build a full pop. Called again yesterday, then today. nothing yet. There is very little specifics on their site. From very scrattered bits online, I hear the quality is excellent.

CCV tops check alot of boxes for me in terms of room, insulated canvas, and rollover bed design. What initially turned me onto them was a youtube video showing a EB van he had just done. The profile of the midsize top was the nicest Ive seen. On their site, they show a low, mid, and hi top. Evidently the low is no longer available, and the mid rise I really like has been switched to one that I think is a bit gaudy. Im not even considering a hi top. If I do use a CCV, I will have it shipped and I will install it in my shop.

If this post is inappropriate for this thread, Ill be happy to move it to PMs.

Last edited:

TeleSteve

Adventurer
GTRV tops appeal to me because of the low pro fiberglass. I do not want the side lift top, and they still have not returned my call two weeks later as to whether they will build a full pop. Called again yesterday, then today. nothing yet. There is very little specifics on their site. From very scrattered bits online, I hear the quality is excellent.

Could you clarify what you mean by "side lift" vs "full pop"?
My understanding is GTRV offers both a V-top (lifts in the front and hinges in the back) and a T-top ( the whole top lifts like SMB top)

Last edited:
Just called today to finally put my van in queue. I called Stephen's number (the only one I saw on the new website) at around 11:30. He called me back before 2:00, and apologized for taking so long.
I've talked with Derek a few times over the past year or so, and Stephen at least once before this. They always got back to me within a day or two.

I'm really looking forward to the top. Just need to decide between he medium and the high.

goneagain

Observer
Could you clarify what you mean by "side lift" vs "full pop"?
My understanding is GTRV offers both a V-top (lifts in the front and hinges in the back) and a T-top ( the whole top lifts like SMB top)

Well, mike from GTRV just called me back. They no longer do Econoline tops. Dont have the molds, not interested in doing them. He cited the aforementioned " we dont put tops on vans that are worth less than the tops" as a reason. I guess he hasnt gone van shopping recently.

tequilasunset

Adventurer
Well, mike from GTRV just called me back. They no longer do Econoline tops. Dont have the molds, not interested in doing them. He cited the aforementioned " we dont put tops on vans that are worth less than the tops" as a reason. I guess he hasnt gone van shopping recently.

Some people should not be in business...

tequilasunset

Adventurer
E2XuJ.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues