Anyone running a Bronco?

Viggen

Just here...
So, Im a lurker and have been bouncing between here and Mud like its my job; well, Ive been doing a lot of that instead of doing my job, like many Im sure...

Im finishing up grad school here in about a years time and when Im out, the lease on my Subaru Outback will be up and Ill plunk down to build a serious overland/ camping/ whatever rig. I love the Subaru (manual with viscous center diff, limited slip rear, armored, good mpg) and its pretty capable but Im starting to want to do more/ see more so Im thinking about the beginnings of a rig. I was thinking a FJ60 (somewhat easily had, most have a decent amount of rust, and without a good amount of money hard to get a decent one) but theyre huge and although Im sure I could find a use for all that room, I really dont need it. Then thought about picking up a Defender or FJ40 but damn if they arent ridiculously expensive for the amount of miles and the rust that is present. It blows my mind that people spend $10k for a truck with serious mileage on the original motor, little maintenance history and most times, serious rust. There are Discoverys out there that can be had for little money but I hear serious issues with them, reliability wise so theyre out.

Starting thinking that since most of my traveling will be done in the US, Ill stick with something American which brings me to my question: Has anyone built up a 66-76 Bronco? Im single with a gf thatll come along with me so I dont want/ need a ton of room. The Bronco is small but bigger than a Jeep. It comes with a pretty stout D44/ 9" combo. Has enough room under hood for a diesel swap (Isuzu) I will do, good suspension/ accessory availability and with a hardtop, pretty secure. Oh, and a bench seat rear for those few times where itll be more than two people going. I hate the whole side facing rear seat concept. Im envisioning 33's, a diesel, ARB style front bumper, rear bumper for a tire/ jerry can/ cooler and a full length roof rack. I see plenty of rock crawler Jeeps and Broncos but hardly any built to spend more than a few hours outside at a time. Am I nuts? Ill be eagerly awaiting replies. :coffee: Thanks

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
I'm currently building up a 1990 Explorer, and if I were to do a FSB, it would be something newer... Either the Big Bronco body style or when they went to the TTB front end... After '76 Ford started using the HP D44... Even though the Early Bronco has a D44, it has smaller u-joints than a normal D44 and it's a low pinion housing... For a FSB, my ultimate pick would be as new a Bronco as I could get, with the 5.8 EFI, and swap in a ZF 5-speed, and a manual t-case... If you REALLY wanted a SFA, a HP D44 from a Big Bronco is almost a bolt in swap... The TTB system, when set up properly, is just as reliable and strong as a solid axle...

Viggen

Just here...
This thread might give you some ideas and information:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29990

Todd Z.

Thanks for this link. Im leaning towards the Bronco because it is maneuverable, bigger than a Jeep/ D90, simple to work on/ repair, pretty stout out of the box, there is a lot out there on the market for these things and you get a good amount for the money. This made for some interesting reading and only helped firm it up for me.

78Bronco

Explorer
I'd look at the big broncos too.:smiley_drive: 66-77 are cool but pricey now. They may be a little on the small side for more than two people. 78-79's have the stoutest stock drivetrain of them all. 80-96 are really cheap and have overdrives and EFI engines in the later years. The big bronco's can sport a camper with a little work and have plenty of space. The later 80-96 have the TTB front suspension which is great for an IFS setup but needs constant realignment in heavy offroading. However, a solid axle swap is very easy using the 78-79 front axle.

They later generations are wider and a bit longer which provides greater stability offroad. I have a 78 and one day god willing it will see dirt again.

Last edited:

Trailpsycho

Observer
Thanks for this link. Im leaning towards the Bronco because it is maneuverable, bigger than a Jeep/ D90, simple to work on/ repair, pretty stout out of the box, there is a lot out there on the market for these things and you get a good amount for the money. This made for some interesting reading and only helped firm it up for me.

Check us out on www.classicbroncos.com . More info than you could ask for, good search engine, lots of expertise and links to alot of the major EB-specific vendors. HTH.

NorCalBronco

Observer
EB's are great, I've had one for about 8 or 9 years now. I'll list the good and bads that I can think of off the top of my head that are relevant to overload travel:

Pros:
Easy to work on
Stout drivetrain: d44, 9", d20 TC, v8
Maneuverable - awesome size for off roading if not a little short
Lots of aftermarket support: Wildhorses, James Duff, Toms, Jeffs, WCB's, etc
Easy to modify to make them exactly like you want em
Coolest looking trucks around :)

Cons:
Expensive, people want a lot of money for rusty trucks. You can buy any part on them but it adds up very quickly
From the factory, they didn't have power steering, power brakes, or discs. I drove mine around on 35's for a while with strongarm steering and 4 wheel drum brakes. Ouch.
Rust issues. Unless it has been gone through or sitting in the garage for a while, you will likely need to replace some floor plans and the inner fenders.
They are a loud, with no insulation or sound dampening
3 speed stock coupled with a v8 is good for 11-12 mpg at best

In the end, the more you spend initially, the better off you will be financially. Get one that already has the goodies that you want added, and go from there.

I think a perfect setup would be a Cummins 4bt or 5.0 EFI, nv4500, Power steering, hydroboost, disc brakes, 4.10's, 35's, 23 gallon main tank - 12 gallon side, sliders, aftermarket bumpers, RTT, insulated full top and tub, :smiley_drive:

p1000361.jpg

toddz69

Explorer
Hey Todd... when I moved to my new place, I found a box with Caddy calipers in it... and your name on the return address. Those things have been kicking around my garage for years! Actually, more like a decade! Good to see you're still around.

Yeah, still enjoying life in the Bronco world. And still selling junkyard parts to people :). Although it's been awhile since I've sold any Cadillac calipers. Went and inspected the new cage under construction today for my trusty Bronco, and charged the battery on my Stroppe Bronco and got it fired up too.

We're leaving tomorrow on a 2 day camping trip in a buddy's Bronco - expedition/overlanding of a sort. We'll be using my Engel fridge!

Todd Z.

78Bronco

Explorer
The 78/79 bronco is my favorite for many reasons. They were only made 2 years, share the same driveline as 70-79 F-series and they are tough. No Twin Traction Beam suspension, power steering, brakes, high pinion front axle (not available in early bronco 66-77), 31 spline Ford 9" rear axle and require minimal lift for larger tire fitment. They have more room for gear and people. Great stability and wheel base of 104". They easily accept engine upgrades like small/big block EFI fords and OD trans and cummins swap. On board air is easy by converting the factory AC pump. Plenty of room under the hood for dual battery, on board welder, and additional storage for tools. Did I mention they are really cheap to buy compared to the Early Broncos.

Down sides are rust.

morris3.jpg

129_0904_40_z+2009_top_truck_challengers+1979_ford_bronco.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333