Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Any updates on the grill?

I'm almost done with the engineering design work for the parts for the "Retro Rhino" front end kit, I've been working on the design as a background product while I finish up the work on a bunch of other projects. Haven't started the mold work yet, but hopefully will get to that soon.

Here are some concept drawings...

RetroRhinoWagoneer2_zpsust7bizf.jpg

And one with the JK Safari Cab:

RetroRhinoSafari_zpsykggmyfe.jpg

Zeep

Adventurer
I really enjoy following your work, but I think I've lost count of how many ongoing threads you have. That being said I really like the Gladiator style front end.
Hoping to see Jeep bring it back, like they did on their concept pick-up.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I really enjoy following your work, but I think I've lost count of how many ongoing threads you have. That being said I really like the Gladiator style front end.
Hoping to see Jeep bring it back, like they did on their concept pick-up.

This past year I've had a lot of projects going on so it's been hard to decide if they all go in one thread or if I should have a thread for each one. I go off-topic in my threads sometimes to post a project that I don't think deserves it's own thread, but I probably cause confusion that way :confused:.

Jeep is showing the Chief concept here at SEMA this week, so between that, the J-12 and the Nukizer I guess they like the idea of a Gladiator style front end. I didn't take any photos of the entire Chief this time, just a few details...

ChiefDetails_zpsww9b0daq.jpg

BCobe

Adventurer
I was going to try and send a PM but it looks like that function is disabled for you? Was wondering if by chance you had seen this JK before and if they were using your top ideas. ProComp Commando.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I was going to try and send a PM but it looks like that function is disabled for you? Was wondering if by chance you had seen this JK before and if they were using your top ideas. View attachment 313502

Yes, it's at the SEMA show this week and so am I, so I saw it in person here. Their design doesn't quite do it for me - it's one piece rather than modular like the Safari Cab; no drip rails; no "definition" to the body lines - just looks a bit "puffy" to me, the side windows don't open, no barn door, just a stock-sized rear hatch on a much taller than stock rear wall, so why didn't they do a taller hatch or a barn door? And the Alpine windows don't seem to fit exactly right. Sorry, I'm a designer first, and details are everything to me. I'm just being a design critic.

You can decide for yourself if they're using my top ideas... since I do my design work very publicly on the forums, I often see things come out after I've posted my designs that you could argue have borrowed from my work, but all I can say about this one is I hope my design hasn't inspired this, I like my Safari Cab design a lot better than how this turned out :)

Here are a few more photos of it...

Commando1_zpsbza2p2bl.jpg

Commando2_zpsxhreanaa.jpg

Commando6_zpstvzxi1th.jpg

It's a Smittybilt product, and the person in the booth told me this was the final version - the molds are done, no more changes. He couldn't tell me the price though, and apparently including it on the Jeep in the booth was a last minute decision, because this is the sign next to the Jeep describing how it's outfitted and this doesn't mention the hardtop:

Commando4_zpsd3us2aur.jpg

BCobe

Adventurer
Yea! I was just wondering if they stole your design, like you stated yours has more... features then theirs.

squint

Adventurer
Jeff, were you working with Gr8 Tops on this design as well? If so was there a patent? They obviously saw yours... Sorry to see this. :(

Jurfie

Adventurer
That top looks horrible compared to Jeff's. And as he mentions, not modular; which IMHO is what makes Jeff's the cat's ********.

The JKU top is heavy enough; I can't imagine what that marshmallow top weighs as a one piece design and with all that added glass.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff, were you working with Gr8 Tops on this design as well? If so was there a patent? They obviously saw yours... Sorry to see this. :(

Greg,
Don't be sorry, the Smittybilt top is a mess and by comparison mine looks great. Theirs is low-feature/function, low design aesthetics, and surprisingly low quality - I was shocked when the Smittybilt rep told me it was a final production top - the curves aren't smooth at all, looks like the mold masters should have had many hours more work to get them into shape before the molds were made.

I've have conversations with three companies about my JK Safari Cab design, one as recently as yesterday. I've ruled out two of the companies, but one very qualified company is still interested. I haven't yet decided if I even want it to become a production product, but if I do, the Smittybilt top being on the market makes mine coming on the market easier - I think that one really makes mine look good :).

I have protection appropriate to my needs ;).

jeff

Last edited:

IndyRubicon

Globetrotter
What I don't get about the Smittybilt top is they unnecessarily raised the height of the roof. I don't understand why they did that, unless I'm missing some sort of key feature.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
What I don't get about the Smittybilt top is they unnecessarily raised the height of the roof. I don't understand why they did that, unless I'm missing some sort of key feature.

I also don't understand the point in raising the height of the roof without doing something to the roll bar - it's so squarely in the way.

-Dan

jscherb

Expedition Leader

The factory hardtop is so flat that you wouldn't be able to install the Alpine windows on the side of the hardtop without raising the roof.

I also don't understand the point in raising the height of the roof without doing something to the roll bar - it's so squarely in the way.

-Dan

There was no evidence in the Jeep at the show that they had any plan for either the roll bar or the space above it, but I can show you one use for it... when I run the soft sides, half doors and soft barn door on my LJ Safari Cab for the summer, when I want an open air experience I roll up the sides and store the half door uppers and barn door upper "in the attic" above the roll bars. Using the storage space above, I can head for the trail fully enclosed, and then easily open things up when I get on the trail and put the removed parts up there so there's no problem storing things inside the Jeep.

SoftBarnDoorFrame1_zpszw5hretd.jpg

A view into the "attic", the half door uppers are stored up there, completely out of the way, the barn door upper also goes above the half door uppers but it isn't up there in this photo...

AtticStorage1_zpsnvkylrwz.jpg

IndyRubicon

Globetrotter
Yes, but the alpine windows are a waste too, IMHO.

I remember you posting about being able to store those items between the roll bars and hardtop, which is why yours is a functional increase in height, which I approve of (not that you need my approval). Back when I had a half-doors TJ, I cannot tell you how many times I wish I had a place to store the tops somewhere other than in the back. A hardtop jeep with half doors is my ideal set-up.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I can show you one use for it... when I run the soft sides, half doors and soft barn door on my LJ Safari Cab for the summer, when I want an open air experience I roll up the sides and store the half door uppers and barn door upper "in the attic" above the roll bars. Using the storage space above, I can head for the trail fully enclosed, and then easily open things up when I get on the trail and put the removed parts up there so there's no problem storing things inside the Jeep.

I've always thought the point of a raised roof (a la Defender 110 or Troopie) is for the extra head room it provides when in the back.

If I had a raised roof, I'd for sure do what I did to my roll bar, and also move it up right into the corners.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk