Birth of My Kimberley Karavan

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Great trail pics, thanks for helping me with my vacation routes! How motorcycle friendly are the Arizona/Colorado areas that you travelled? We have a few dirt bikes and dual sports that we like to explore with.

Thanks and happy trails!
Mark.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Great trail pics, thanks for helping me with my vacation routes! How motorcycle friendly are the Arizona/Colorado areas that you travelled? We have a few dirt bikes and dual sports that we like to explore with.

Thanks and happy trails!
Mark.

Sorry Mark I just saw that you had asked a question. Arizona, Utah and Colorado are laced with with great trails for motorcycles. you could never cover them all in a lifetime.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I've been working too much and not playing enough but finally got out on a nice 7 day camping trip with friends. We had a mix of perfect weather and a couple short snow storms that brought in some cold weather. My last night got down to 17 degrees F. That was a good test for the Karavan's water system. My hot water lines were insulated well enough so they didn't freeze on me. The cold water line did freeze but thawed about an hour after sunrise. I'll have to trace out the cold water line to see if I can find the exposed area that may need a bit more insulation.

No other problems on this trip and the Karavan provided a warm escape from the chilly nights. All in all, anther great trip.

2013%20Pig%20Camp-3-L.jpg

2013%20Pig%20Camp-13-L.jpg

2013%20Pig%20Camp-21-L.jpg

2013%20Pig%20Camp-28-L.jpg

2013%20Pig%20Camp-44-L.jpg

Hiding from an afternoon snow shower:

2013%20Pig%20Camp-60-L.jpg

With no Cell coverage in this area it was a good test of my new Inreach. Texting with my wife while hiding from the storm.

2013%20Pig%20Camp-55-L.jpg

Back to blue skies for the last morning.

2013%20Pig%20Camp-84-L.jpg

TheThom

Adventurer
Awesome! Is that the Camp Chef Redwood propane fire ring? I was looking at buying one of their fire rings for camping during burn bans. Are you a fan?

Great pics

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Awesome! Is that the Camp Chef Redwood propane fire ring? I was looking at buying one of their fire rings for camping during burn bans. Are you a fan?

Great pics

Yes it's the Camp Chef redwood propane fire ring and I am a fan. I have used it now for over a year and it works great when you just want a small fire. It makes for a super easy clean up with no trace left behind. I use it a lot when I am by myself or with just my wife.

I still like a wood fire when with a large group but the propane fire ring works very well when you want to keep things simple or there is a wood fire ban.

We also use it a lot at home on the porch on cool nights.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks, as always, for the photos. Always good to see the rig out and about.

I haven't gotten up to speed yet with my InReach. I assume you were happy with yours?

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Thanks, as always, for the photos. Always good to see the rig out and about.

I haven't gotten up to speed yet with my InReach. I assume you were happy with yours?

Yep, with the Inreach bluetooth connected to an iPad it's a great tool. Easy to use and reliable, consistent connection.

If I want to record a route or play with waypoints I still fall back to my old reliable Garmin Map76cxs but for general where am I maps and two way satellite messaging, it's perfect.

h2os2

Adventurer
Awesome pics of your camp set up! I would love one day to have a Kimberley Karavan. How long did it take to get one shipped to the US? or do they have a dealer in the US?

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys, it feeds my soul being out there.

H2os2, Kimberley does not have a US dealer. You have to work with Bruce in Australia to order and import one to the US. Free trade agreement makes it tax free so that helps a little. I can hook you up with them if you get interested. It took a few weeks to build and about 5 weeks to ship into Long Beach, Ca.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online