Camel Trophy

Jitterbug

Adventurer
I am defiantely keen to tie something like this into my 'big trip' (2016/17/18). I know it is ages away but I need something to day dream about in the meantime!

Hopefully the event isnt limited to 4x4 and i can bring my 6x6 defender, by then I should have firmly put it through its paces. The plan is to get it as capable, in most situations, as my 90 (twin lockers and 35"s) :)

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Without a doubt there is room and demand for a safari type rally somewhere between Juno and the Panama canal. I had high hopes for Maya Rally but stepped away when it settled into a GTA rally event and lacked an organizational framework.

Last year at NEFR a few teams, US and Canadian, discussed initiating a "Rally Challenge" type event in the Northeast; a combination of Rainforest Challenge and the Dakar: trucks, cars, quads, bikes. Quebec is vast wilderness and the Quebecois love all things rally. However, second only to the challenge of gaining land/road permits, organizing it under a non profit entity is big obstacle. W/o non profit status for an organizing body, good will and volunteerism to run the event are not sustainable--its what is killing stage rally in the US;since SCCA dropped it.

Thats said, a few clever entrepreneurial people could definitely lead a new safari rally type event in Central and/or North America; a few regional events then a big event in a centrally accessible location. However, IMO, success of the initial event would come from NOT delving into planning and designing the event on public forms.

4xdog

Explorer
...one of my 2 (yeah, I hate to rub that in) rare books, The Great Adventure...

The Great Adventure, published 1993 by SQP SA, Lausanne, Switzerland, is a fantastic book. I had my copy out today and read every line (in English -- the informative but limited text is also in French and German) and looked at every image. It's full of superb photos from the events 1980-1994. Great photos of the vehicles travelling through incredible territory.

Not an easy book to find, but if you can get a copy -- grab it!

Don

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
PS: This is a great thread, please lurkers, chime in. "If we build it, they will come". I just need to know what you want me to build! LOL

Been lurking but figured I should chime in. To keep things simple, why not start with the Western US? Clearly I have selfish reasons, but there is some logic there too. It seems like no matter what type of expedition vehicle I’ve owned, the majority of likeminded owners (through no empirical research other than the forums I’ve been a part of) have been either in the Southeast or the West. This site is more international than I'm used to, and the LR sites I've used clearly are as well. But for the most part, the statesiders have been Western.

Colorado is easily accessible from most of the continent (Kansas is the midpoint of North America) and wouldn’t break the bank in terms of travel (gas will be over $4/gal by summer again). Lots of BLM and otherwise federal land. Lots of dedicated OHV-type trails (as a former XJ, TJ, and WJ owner I really want to say “Jeep” trails).

Canada is a great idea too…but again I would say Western. Somewhere in the Rockies should give enough of a varied terrain to make the expedition worthwhile. I hesitated posting this to not start a location flame war. I know there are thousands of places worldwide that would be a great starting point (hell, even the aforementioned Southeast would be appropriate and far more wet than the West), but again, I’m selfish and I live out West.

I’d be in for sure. Just need to make some necessary (and already planned) changes to my rig (don’t make lockers mandatory – they aren’t in my spring budget - mandatory end-of-day beer sippin is fine with me however).

:beer:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I would love to participate in this event. Whenever and wherever it happens. I'd second the idea for the Northwest. Plenty of great trails and opportunities for some great driving. If I would be in the event, I would definitely lend a hand.

Bedwyr

I have actively been talking to 4WD Associations and clubs over the last few months. It has sparked a lot of interest and that's pushed me to pour over maps both in hard form and digitally for routes. They will be scouted when the snow retreats.

Bedwyr

Shoogs

Shoogs
Hmmm, I could be interested in that, might just be over that way with car mid 2014...

cheers

Shoogs

Attachments

• Kafue 3.jpg
    Kafue 3.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 97

DividingCreek

Explorer
I have never met Tom Colins but have spent a couple nights around camp fires picking Bill Burke's brain and listening to his stories about Tanzania 1991. The local club, ROAV used to pay Bill to attend the Mid Atlantic Rally and he taught recovery etc. Each year he would donate one of his personal collection of Camel Trophy swag to the club to be auctioned off @ the Saturday night auction.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Sadly, I have to report that Alastair Chapman, son of Iain Chapman, the man and spirit behind the Camel Trophy, succumbed to his fight against cancer. Alastair was practically born into the Camel Trophy, and was involved in just about every edition, in one way or another. In my edition (1998 Tierra del Fuego) he was our support driver (follow vehicle with press) on the last leg of the adventure. Out of all the support drivers, he was the only one that enjoyed the adventure and made it so much more fun. The other drivers had a shut up and pay up attitude. I stayed in touch with him after the Camel Trophy. He was always so high spirited, that I never even knew he was sick. He'll be greatly missed. :(

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Scott Brady

Founder
I just received one of most generous and thoughtful gifts. Stuart Baillie of Baillie's Off-Road participated in the 1991 Camel Trophy in Africa, and he had a banner from the event. I tried to buy the banner from him, but he instructed one of his staff to untie the banner and then handed it to me with a handshake and a smile. He said "I can see you will enjoy this as much as I did". I am humbled and grateful.

945969_10152100704458275_2101115641_n.jpg

I am thinking of framing it behind glass and hanging it on my office wall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk