campsite pics..lets see um

This is going back some years but for variety.

Kapou, Haute-Kotto, Central African Republic

Attachments

• Kapou, Haute-Kotto, CAR  February 1986.jpg
    Kapou, Haute-Kotto, CAR February 1986.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 653

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Well seeing as we're going retro, from a trip to Kenya in 1979

05494.jpg

05495.jpg

05496.jpg

Note how the car gets dirtier and dirtier. It was around the wet season and this was before the days that I "knew" that low clearance, 2WD and front WD was no good for offroading, I had to have a fully tricked 4x4 :)

Man we gave that Alfa a caning, as the roads were often almost impassable we'd go bush until that got worse than the road.

The girl in the photos is now Mrs Graynomad (note 3 tents in the first shot, only 2 in the last, I think there's a story there), but despite that it was one of the best experiences of my life :)

I know the place has changed a lot but I'd love to go back, maybe one day.

Last edited:
Wait wait wait you mean you don't have to have a giant 4x4 and lots of expensive equipment to travel across Kenya in the wet season? This sort of thing might need to be censored so the site's sponsors don't get upset.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
What can say, I was 25, exploring the world and hadn't been told that things can't be done. Yeah I thought she was alright :)

I hope the sponsors don't pull their support, if it helps we did get into trouble on occasion and a few accessories would have helped. Working on a bogged vehicle has a different urgency when you're not at the top of the food chain :)

Snake CZ

Observer
What can say, I was 25, exploring the world and hadn't been told that things can't be done.

Yep as we say: Never ever say that something can't be done, because everytime you find some dumb, who doesn't know that it can't be done and do it.

I'm trying to find photos of my father camping in Iraq desert back in 1970s, but I will have to scan them again...

esh

Explorer
on back country run in Eastern Oregon. Nothing remarkable about the camp site, but it was a great spot.. Bear Prairie was the name I think.

obcdr_cc-0075.jpg

brought battery powered beer can lights for the awning and LED strips encircling the 62 under the gutter. :D

obcdr_cc-0085.jpg

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Yes that was us, they flew out to Oz to shoot the segment. For a while we were on all sorts of TV shows and magazines. The truck has been rebuilt since then, this is what it used to look like.

15721.jpg

12711.jpg

19224.jpg

12206.jpg

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
@esh, What's taped over the windows on the 62 in the second shot? And what the heck is a "beercan light"?

@Chazz, I love campsite pics with the stars. I must try it myself one day.

esh

Explorer
That is one gnarly truck, Rob. :beer:

Those are magnet mount bug screens... Not sure if this is the place I got them (iirc it was out of Nevada not Missouri). http://theskeeterbeater.com/ They wouldn't be hard to make, but were cheap at the time I got them and I like rewarding ideas.

The lights are a string, like you'd use for a christmas tree, except these are little ceramic/plastic Budweiser and Bud Light cans over the lights and powered by 4x AA rechargeable batteries. :D

I found them randomly in a remote resort store in Montana.. looks like they are in a variety of places online- http://www.walmart.com/ip/23864815?...88676956&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=51783182796&veh=sem

(Corona would seem more festive if someone made them)

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Those are magnet mount bug screens
OK, I know the type, we have them here as well.

little ceramic/plastic Budweiser and Bud Light cans over the lights
Ah ha, I thought you had real cans :)

Yeah the truck was/is a bit of a weapon, bit of a bear to drive but great to live in.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Our camp last weekend on Marble View, North Rim.

The firewood was a total delusion. We ended up having crazy high winds. They were so bad I couldn't light my BBQ and we had to cook dinner inside the Karavan to hide from the abuse.

Marble%20View-13-XL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3