Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

trump

Adventurist
Does anyone know of a good source to get the 12v DC adapter plugs? The part that plugs in to your cigarette lighter (12v DC socket) is easy to find obviously, but I'm looking for the "plugs" that plug into the fridge/freezer unit. I simply need to make some longer leads for our fridge/freezer.

I would hope that most brands use the same plug, but I'm not certain. Thanks!!! :))

IMO, this plug (and socket if you choose to buy the set) are the highest quality that I have personally seen:

http://www.marinco.com/product/12v-plug-receptacle

Search around for the best price on it. IIRC I bought mine at Cabelas.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

So just finished beefing up my fridge insultion. this plus my 30w solar panel thats one the way should make my batteries last much longer.

ab1985

Explorer
Does anyone know of a good source to get the 12v DC adapter plugs? The part that plugs in to your cigarette lighter (12v DC socket) is easy to find obviously, but I'm looking for the "plugs" that plug into the fridge/freezer unit. I simply need to make some longer leads for our fridge/freezer.

I would hope that most brands use the same plug, but I'm not certain. Thanks!!! :))

I'm interested in this as well. So far people have only responded with reco's for the cigarette lighter plug. What about the ends that connect to the fridge? Any ideas is where to get replacements?

CodyY

Explorer

Solder and heat shrink?

Post a pic of the plug youre looking for. I dont have the fridge but can point you in the right direction

I'm interested in this as well. So far people have only responded with reco's for the cigarette lighter plug. What about the ends that connect to the fridge? Any ideas is where to get replacements?

General Automag

Adventurer

Here are some pics of the plug and the fridge/freezer receptacle:

Attachments

• plug1.JPG
    plug1.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 4
  • plug5.JPG
    plug5.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 2
  • plug6.JPG
    plug6.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 0
  • plug7.JPG
    plug7.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 0
  • plug8.JPG
    plug8.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 2
  • plug3.JPG
    plug3.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 2

4x4junkie

Explorer

Some weeks back I responded to another user with this:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/LCAC-400/2-CONDUCTOR-POLARIZED-CHEATER-CORD/1.html

Cut the cord off a couple inches from the plug, then solder a length of heavier-gauge wire w/cigarette lighter plug to it (squared side is positive, rounded side negative).

However I eventually got sick of the plug getting broken off and changed out the socket on the fridge to a pigtail connection using this
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-...CTOR-WEATHER-RESISTANT-CONNECTOR-14AWG/1.html

Seems i seen these "cheater cords" offered on Amazon.com as well. I'm not sure a version of the plug exists that you don't have to cut & splice onto it though, but it's possible there's something out there that I don't know of.

General Automag

Adventurer
I found a cord with the right plug! I took a chance and ordered a replacement 12v DC cord from TruckFridge.com. It was the correct cord and cost about $20 shipped. Our fridge/freezer is from IronMan4x4.com (works great, by the way). The Ironman4x4, TruckFridge, and EvaKool fridge/freezers use the same plug. They all have the Danfoss compresors and seem to have the same electronics and controls. 'Learn something new every day!

Bowzer5

Trying this section for some help on an edgestar fridge. I recently purchased an open box/scratch and dent fridge and when I received the fridge it didn't work. Don't worry about me, I called them and told them it wasn't working and they refunded me full and let me keep it. . .pretty cool.

Well I figured out what was wrong with it (bunch of wires were pulled out of the back of the control display. Picture below. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where the yellow wire thats not connected to anything is supposed to be installed? It had an "HH" display that means the ambient air temp is over 104 degrees (only 98 degrees outside today). Any help with this is appreciated!!
385977_10100984236084914_1364770798_n.jpg

As you can see the yellow wire that is looped through the zip tie at the top is not connected to anything. There are two slots near its location but they're labeled as "ground" on the sticker. These are coming from inside the fridge itself.

Last edited:

DarthBeaver

Adventurer
Trying this section for some help on an edgestar fridge. I recently purchased an open box/scratch and dent fridge and when I received the fridge it didn't work. Don't worry about me, I called them and told them it wasn't working and they refunded me full and let me keep it. . .pretty cool.

Well I figured out what was wrong with it (bunch of wires were pulled out of the back of the control display. Picture below. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where the yellow wire thats not connected to anything is supposed to be installed? It had an "HH" display that means the ambient air temp is over 104 degrees (only 98 degrees outside today). Any help with this is appreciated!!
385977_10100984236084914_1364770798_n.jpg

As you can see the yellow wire that is looped through the zip tie at the top is not connected to anything. There are two slots near its location but they're labeled as "ground" on the sticker. These are coming from inside the fridge itself.

Thats your temp sensor wire that is not connected. do you see another wire inside hanging that looks like it is disconnected?

PM me for contact info and I can try to help you sort this...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333