Comeup Winches

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Hmmm, I winder what if they did anything to reduce the cost like changing in the materials or design that could have also compromised the quality/longevity?
It could have been as simple as removing the Superwich label that reduced the cost.
Two examples of how much a label adds to the price.
The Sears Diehard Platinum P4 battery costs less than the Odyssey PC 1500 DT even though they are identical batteries except for color and labeling.
I just bought a new torque wrench for $159, or I could have gotten the same wrench for $300 with the Snap-on label.
So I wouldn't automatically assume it's a more cheaply built winch. It may be, but the mere fact of being cheaper doesn't mean it is.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
It could have been as simple as removing the Superwich label that reduced the cost.
I whole heartedly agree. Alternatively they could use the ones that didn't fully pass a Superwinch required QA test and resell them under another brand as well. Same thing can possibly be said about the Milemarker electric winches which I'm confident are made by similar/the same company in china and are probably also available as a non-milemarker brand.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Same thing can possibly be said about the Milemarker electric winches which I'm confident are made by similar/the same company in china and are probably also available as a non-milemarker brand.

Not sure if I read that correctly, but the Comeup winches aren't made in China, they are made in Taiwan.

VolvoC303

As for someone who tries to care about my own country, even as those reasons fade a little with each year, I try very hard not to send my money to China. I hope others see why Chinese product support could/will come back to bite you, badly.

It's disappointing to hear how other US winch companies are going Chinese now. I've heard Superwinch, which I have always supported, and Warn have China motors now. ******??? We can't make a motor anymore?

And by the way, Harbor Freight's junky tools are 95% Chinese made.

Last edited:
I believe the discussion is about COMEUP winches which are made in Taiwan, not china.

Unless we wanna beat up on taiwan now. It is a world market. Lets all take a deep breath and get used to it.

The Swedish VOlvos did not exactly have a warm welcome when they floated over the pond. But they are here to stay and showed us a few things about safety and high nickel content motors :)

Then I stand corrected.

I own an Iphone. The most reliable product I have ever had that is always on, being used and abused. Same with my laptop. If they make the better product that is where my money goes. Both made in China because the US did not have the manufacturing facilities Steve Jobs needed to build them. yada yada....

Winch discussions are as divisive as politics and religion :)

I have a superwinch Talon and so far it has been fantastic. I hope we can see some of these comeup winches reviewed and compared on this forum. Competition is a great thing.

verdesardog

Explorer
You can blame the US government and big money for all the chineese made products being sold in the US.
Today's economy is global, get used to it for it's not going to change.....

If you really want to suport the US get rid of all the self serving corrupt politicians.....

TLC Norway

I've been running a comeup 24v dv9i for years, always got me unstuck.
Heavy rig, loaded HJ60 cruiser.
I decided I'd try it out, after seeing them as the standard winches in the Norwegian army, on their Mercedes and Iveco trucks.
They cope with Norwegian climate, and lots of these trucks have served in Afghanistan.

I burnt the motor once, while unspooling. Had lost the end seal on the motor, just a little plug. Which of course resulted in lots of mud and water in the engine housing after mud and water crossings.

My rig went in a garage for fire this summer, but I have now a HJ61 with the amazing PTO winch.
But with my experience with the come up, I now have this beauty on the shelf.
Love it, and outperformed every other brand in my local group of about 20 winches. Probably had a bit to do with it being a 24v.
Only matched by the PTO and 8274 in speed.

f0c0ef5f79bcaf966ba2563fc439883b.jpg

highdesertranger

Adventurer
well someone finally read the fine print and saw these where manufactured in communist china not Taiwan. if you all think it's ok to send your money to them what can I say... highdesertranger

Last edited by a moderator:

fishEH

Explorer
I have a Viking GS-9 which is essentially a ComeUp DV-9. I compared all brands and models when i was winch shopping and this was the one that met all my requirements. If there is a quality option I'm not going to discriminate because its made in Taiwan, or China or whatever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal