Comparison: 1300, 416, 404, Volvo TGB, Pinz

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
Howdy Seriousman,
I have a 3250mm wheelbase and it works well on the road. I was out this last weekend helping some folks get "un-detained" off a cliff and was with 2 fullsize US trucks and a Tacoma truck. I heard the chatter on the radio about "will the Unimog make it around these tight turns and ditches ect...". Well they consistantly had to back up for more attempts and bottomed in the ditches but the "big white turd" never touched or backed up. I'm always impressed with how tight the truck turns and maneuvers. When it came time to pull the quadcab chevy up on the road I'm glad I had my truck. In the mud I'd rather have 6000 pounds not my 12,000 pounds though. Just some thoughts,
Chas

M.Bas

Adventurer
I had a pinzgauer 716k, 1989.
It was the most incredible vehicle in the world.

Automatic gears, low range, neumatic suspension, break disc, 100% diff lock (rear and back), neumatic stability control, portal axes.

The best: you could drive as fast as you want on any kind of terrain.
the worst: Very very hot inside. I sold this vehicle for this reason. I got 50ºC inside the cabin in Senegal, Africa.

Now on I have a Unimog, but It is far away from the pinz
Another reason to choose an ex-mil Volvo TGB
Safari window on the drivers side :victory:

Some fire dept. trucks even have 2 safari windows.

20080831_IMGP1555.jpg

20080831_IMGP1567.jpg

Seriousman

Thanks for commenting on shortwheel bassis

Thanks for commenting on the shortwheel basis.

My gut feeling is in favor of short one. I like the extra off-roading capability. However there will be less than 0.1 % road which might needs such capability.

My thinking is in favor of long one because I might need extra feel tanks and generator. I need space in the chassis for installing these items.

As UNIMOG and its expedition body costs a lot of money, it is a very hard decision for me.

Thanks for your experiences.

I advise the long wheelbase. With the short you will constantly regret lack of space in living quarters and for fuel etc.
With 3.9m long wheelbase my U500 is very maneuverable, I can make U-turns on city streets and windy trails are not a problem except for the general bulk of the vehicle.
A short wheelbase Doka has almost zero room for a camper.
As I've said before, even with a LWB single cab I feel my ratio of cab space to camper space is not too low.
If I were to do it all over again, I might stretch my wheelbase to 4.5m or even 4.8m(for $20000!) for more fuel capacity (200L more) and to allow squared-off rear end which greatly increases storage capacity in rear compartment, and for better weight distribution. The 4.8m would allow 3-600mm longer camper as well. Remember, the camper is your home. Even when travelling one spends perhaps 6-8 hr/day driving (hopefully a bit less) and the rest of the time in/out of the camper.
Also, think again about U5000, for load capacity and larger tires. If you get the U4000 be sure to get the 218hp motor rather than 177hp. Unimogs are not over-powered.

Charlie

Last edited:

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
Charlie,
Is it legal to use the word "power" and Unimog in the same sentence? I'd agree, get the most powerful version of engine in the U3000-5000 series. The U300-500 series seem to have much more factory power (seat of the pants).
Chas

Charlie,
Is it legal to use the word "power" and Unimog in the same sentence? I'd agree, get the most powerful version of engine in the U3000-5000 series. The U300-500 series seem to have much more factory power (seat of the pants).
Chas

Hellgeth does a "U6000" conversion. They take a U5000 and put in a 7.2L 926 motor: 326hp, 1300Nm (960 ft-lb). I'd guess you'd want U500NA gearing (5.92 w/38:14 hubs instead of 35:11) and at least 395s to take advantage of the power.
I think the difference in driven gear size is why a U5000 has 100ml more portal oil capacity than the U500.

Charlie

Viggen

Just here...
I had a pinzgauer 716k, 1989.
It was the most incredible vehicle in the world.

Automatic gears, low range, neumatic suspension, break disc, 100% diff lock (rear and back), neumatic stability control, portal axes.

The best: you could drive as fast as you want on any kind of terrain.
the worst: Very very hot inside. I sold this vehicle for this reason. I got 50ºC inside the cabin in Senegal, Africa.

Now on I have a Unimog, but It is far away from the pinz

attachment.php

Dream truck right there. Put one of those camper AC units in the roof panel and I would be perfectly content with that being my everyday vehicle. Now, if only my girlfriend would agree to ride in it with me...:sombrero:

Mickldo

Adventurer
Thank's for this topic, it makes for a very interesting read.

Ditto.

I was thinking the other day about how it would be good if I could get a vehicle with the same or better off road performance as my HZJ105 Cruiser but was forward control to give better space utilization like my Kombi. And most important no bigger than my cruiser. I had forgotten about the Volvo TGB and the Pinz's. This thread has given me a heap of inspiration to look for a Volvo in OZ.

Any Oz members know of any Volvo C303 for sale in Oz or a good importer that may be able to find me one?

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Mick ,

Contact Defenderbeam ,

He used to have one and know's a fair bit about them. Also there was one in Melbourne on ebay about 6 months ago but was a bit highly priced IMO. I also have a close friend who is a Volvo wrecker and can get all sorts of bits if needed.

Hey, when did you get the kombi project? My brother just did a 1n EJ22 conversion on his '99 Kombi last year. A real pain but man, it goes hard. I'll put you in touch with him if you need. He has plenty of contacts. He's a mechanic and has been playing with them for over 30years.

BTW did you get that quote away we were working on for the 4x4 mobile command post for the Northern Territory Police?

See ya mate. John.

John

Mickldo

Adventurer
Mick ,

Contact Defenderbeam ,

He used to have one and know's a fair bit about them. Also there was one in Melbourne on ebay about 6 months ago but was a bit highly priced IMO. I also have a close friend who is a Volvo wrecker and can get all sorts of bits if needed.

Hey, when did you get the kombi project? My brother just did a 1n EJ22 conversion on his '99 Kombi last year. A real pain but man, it goes hard. I'll put you in touch with him if you need. He has plenty of contacts. He's a mechanic and has been playing with them for over 30years.

BTW did you get that quote away we were working on for the 4x4 mobile command post for the Northern Territory Police?

See ya mate. John.

John

Hi John

Thanks for that info on the Volvos.

The Kombi is Ken's. I am doing a full rebuild on it for him and swapping the EJ22 into it for him. He is just paying the bills. When it is finished though I will be able to borrow it whenever I want when he gets back from a Round Australia trip he wants it built for. Lots of Kombi camping trips coming up.

Yeah I got that NT Police quote finished and sent through but seeing as I am on holidays till the 17th I haven't heard anything back about it yet.

gregg@mail.dk

I would go for the C303 with a alu/zinc body any day, Good comfort, easy to drive, diff locks, portals, unbreakable, Simply and logicly built. cool in summer great heaters (dual) when minus 30c compact enough to go anywhere and big enough for living in, roof door for easy access to "veranda" or roof tent.

Mogs are trucks with charastistics of tractors, Landrovers have 110 percent charm never stop but always break! Pinzes break and are hard to get parts. Anything based on a truck will keep you near roads due to the fact that you cant drive under trees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach