CONFESSIONS FROM A GUY BEHIND A DESK

CJAKE7

CJAKE7
The last two nights I spent in my garage installing a new rear bumper on the 85' CJ7 since it was above 20 degrees for a few days in a row. I have a renewed desire to use the Jeep again as it was meant to be but weather & schedules are not cooperating. So I sit here behind my screen, looking out my window at the sun & snow, dreaming about what the next adventure will be. Check the state forest websites once again and download the map to double check the perfect campsite. Check the weather website to see what will be happening the next few weekends and think through my schedule to see if I can make something happen. Surf the expo website to see what everyone else is doing. Post a bit here, post a bit there......

Then reality kicks in and I realize that I am on the clock and am stealing time/money from my boss for my brain meandering. I want to do a good job, I desire to be an asset to the company I work for.

I also desire a taste of the next adventure. Why does almost everyday contain this battle????

Am I alone in this?????

anviljk

Adventurer
There isn't a day that goes buy where I want to quit my desk job, pack up the jkur, and head out west to explore. But I got bills and until I find a way to get paid for exploring, it is all a dream.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Everyone does it in one way or another. Some people surf the net, some people clean their toolbox, some people plan out their next fishing trip. Nobody works at 100%, 100% of the time.

Any manager, director, or executive that actually believes that he/she will get 8 hours worth of "work" out of an employee (during an 8 hour day) isn't living in reality. Sure, there are a hand full of people out there that can turn & burn for 8 hours, but those are few and far between.

I recently read that the "average" employee is engaged in "work" for 3 - 5 hours per day (8 hours). The rest of the time is breaks/lunches, water cooler talk, surfing the net, working on personal items (scheduling doctors appointments for the kids, making calls to the school or S/O, researching or planning vacations, weekend activities, etc). It's just the reality that we live in. We'd all like to say that we're immune the distractions that life throws at us - but we're not.

And to be honest - it's not entirely a bad thing. Your mind needs to rest every now and then, just like your body. We require people to take breaks. Not just the legally required breaks - we shoot for 4 or 5 breaks per day, weighted heavier in the back half of the shift. Most people lose productivity as their mind and body fatigues. Taking 10 - 15 minutes every couple hours helps you reset & increases your overall productivity.

hurstjd

Adventurer
I do the same thing every day on my lunch hour. My wife says I'm addicted to Expedition Portal. I think she is right. I'm giving myself until January of 2017. Then, I'm calling it quits. We are going to travel from January until September of every year and then come home for fourth quarter. We own a small business and will hire a manager.

A

AngryRedBird

I'm disabled and at home but remain in contact with my wifes company.. granted if I was sitting at a desk.. I wouldn't be online.. Seeing how the company has implemented new features to where as they can spy on you message and the amount of times you're searching for things other than what you're supposed to.. They've also implemented a hardware/site block on all of their mainframe computers.. which means.. you can only go to site's they allow you to go to.. So in essence.. if I was sitting at a desk.. I would actually be working..

I guess this was a double question or comments.. Therefore we all get antsy.. even I. But in the hopes that with the come new season.. we need to make sure the jeep is fully operational.. having suffered with a few minor issues, which could turn major.. we need to get the jeep ready for our next travel plans.. after all that is what it's about.

Last edited:

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Right there with you!

Just gotta set a date and go. Pick an extended weekend in the spring or summer. If the weather sucks, oh well, at least you wont be behind your desk.

That's how I do it. Picked the extended weekend we had a few weeks ago and went to the desert. It was freezing cold and there was some rain but way better than staring at this computer screen.

Cordite

Funny you mention this. I have a pretty new JKU and have been dying for a weather break. Heading up to Worlds End State Prk near Forksville this evening for a couple days camping. PA has some great parks and forests. If Worlds End is closed, I will head over to Ricketts Glen. Good stuff. Hey, if nothing else, why not head over to Caledonia State Park?

Have fun.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I'm sitting at work right now dreaming about puting tags on my CJ7. The weather is starting to break and I need a little change from my JK! I do most of my surfing at work. I have long periods of waiting for work to be spotted or arrive so I pas the time here.

CJAKE7

CJAKE7
Thanks for the encouragement/feedback. I think I am going nuts because it has been too long since I spent any amount of time in the middle of nowhere. You fellow jeepers understand the feeling of sunshine, no top, no doors and nothing but what is around the next bend on your mind. Some way, some how I'm going to hit the hills next weekend(I think I will leave the top on though).

jpat30

Adventurer
What?! You have a window to look out:drool: I wish to be so lucky. LOL

The struggle is indeed real. Here in the real world we have to balance family and work with our desire to travel and explore. There is definitely a season for everything though. Get out when and where you can. I am an Expo Addict according to my wife too HurstJD. Could be a whole lot worse though.........

Have a great weekend everybody!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I feel the exact same, but remember, "earning" the time off and journey is part of enjoying the whole package.

I've really enjoyed the last ~4 years sitting behind a desk saving every penny I possibly could, though it's going to be mightly sweet to move forward and hit the road again in a few months :)

Keep dreaming, and then turn those dreams into reality :)

-Dan

EDIT: One of my favorite "how-to" books about traveling is Vagabonding by Rolf Potts because it goes through all "phases" of travel, including dreaming it up in the first place, saving up to earn it, actually doing it, and the emotions (and reactions from others) you'll face when you get back.
He really emphasizes you should enjoy each phase for what it is, because like everything in life, it won't last forever.

Last edited:

mtbxj87

Adventurer
That's why were all here right? These forums fuel the fire. Im a mechanic, I usually hate cars, but love tinkering with my jeep. When I get to work I log into Shopkey then ExPo and naxja. I then spend the rest of the day Daydreaming about wheeling out to nowhere, setting up camp, then shred trail on my bike. I want spring!

kpredator

Adventurer
What helps me much is having a trip planned,if I know I am going on a good trip work is much more
Bearable. Researching,national parks,campsites,photography areas burns up spare time and helps
With boredom.

Two of the best feelings are leaving for a great trip and then when returning home.

Jm2c

Kp

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer
I spend an alarming amount of time at work on expedition portal and other sights planning adventures and ordering parts. I work two jobs, one full time at a gun shop and I'm also a reserve firefighter at a local department. At the gun shop things are fairly laid back and they're either busy or dead. We do all of our stocking and cleaning in the morning so in the afternoon there really isn't anything to do, if I'm not with a customer I'm probably on expedition portal. At the fire department I'm at a fairly slow station so we spend most of a 24 hour shift just waiting for calls; so I'd say I get plenty of time to plan. I'd say in a twelve hour work day at the gun shop, though, I spend approximately a minimum of four hours on this site ( depending on how busy we are ). I'd say I actually do most of my adventure planning at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah me too the only difference is that I am self employed always wondering where the next job and paycheck is coming from sucks sometimes but authorities it is great. what is guy to do. work work work , or explore well there has to be balance so do the best you can for the time at work remember you boss knows what you spend your time on the computer so just be careful

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz