CrabbyMcNab's Adventure with Blunderbuss

CrabbyMcNab

Adventurer
Sent the FICM back to be looked at. Arrived in IA Friday evening, and back to me on Monday. Receipt says board replaced. I'll put it in and let's see what happens.

CrabbyMcNab

Adventurer
I was going to wait till additional parts arrived, but....put the next unit in and same thing, FMP starts around 20 volts then decreases to 0.00 at key in the on position even before cycling. I am stopping by to get a 50 amp maxi fuse and have a FICM relay on the way. I've never heard of a fuse somewhat working, either blown or not. The relay I may have read can get weak? I don't have any other ideas nor spent too much time reading up on this issue, so we will see. If these don't work, I hope someone else has an idea, I don't want to throw money chasing a problem.
I have a guy's weekend coming up, typical stuff; good friends, mountains, no cell phones, skeet, beer...so hopefully i won't be fretting about the van. And thankfully I didn't sell the pickup yet.

gtbensley

Explorer
I believe these can have issues right side front wheel well area with wiring harness issues. There is a thread somewhere on here of a sportsmobile that had a no start issue. Maybe start wiggling all the harnesses and see if it starts? Pretty sure they rub on the frame.

CrabbyMcNab

Adventurer
Replaced the 50amp fuse that had blown. Replaced the relay as well after reading the internals can corrode and cause issues, took old apart and was pristine. Swear I pulled the 50amp fuse and it was solid before shipping off the FICM. FICMrepair sent mine back after replacing the board again, no explanation if they could determine cause. So I don't know if the board went and fried the fuse or the fuse went and fried the board. Either way, the van is running great again and I carry some spare fuses. I want to take my time and look over the FICM wire harness to see if there are issues to address such as rubbing or fraying wires.

CrabbyMcNab

Adventurer
I used to have that problem. Too many times the van stayed at home during winter, bec. I could not even make it off the property. UJOR fixed that for me.

All in due time! I'm hoping fall 2015 or spring 2016 for the conversion. I really like the idea of a 4x4, could I get away with upgrading to a limited slip or locker in the rear, probably. But, the mountains we hunt in WV are steep and if there is snow or mud, forget single or true 2WD.

My wife is short and I don't know which we can go with, 4 or 6. I'm hoping to vacation in the mountains of TN or NC soon and run on over to Ujoint to see some examples.

350outrage

Adventurer
All in due time! I'm hoping fall 2015 or spring 2016 for the conversion. I really like the idea of a 4x4, could I get away with upgrading to a limited slip or locker in the rear, probably. But, the mountains we hunt in WV are steep and if there is snow or mud, forget single or true 2WD.

My wife is short and I don't know which we can go with, 4 or 6. I'm hoping to vacation in the mountains of TN or NC soon and run on over to Ujoint to see some examples.

I wouldn't want locker or LS on the rear if you're setting up for mud or snow. When I did mine, Chris recommended LS on the front and I thought that sounded a little wierd. It has advantages though: Only one wheel at a time slips on rear, so your rear doesn't "come around" or try to fall off the crown of the road when wheel breaks loose. When fronts break loose in 4wd, you can counteract side motion by steering the sliding front wheels. Also, unlocking hubs in front saves gas, wear on the LS clutch pack, and eliminates locker or LS induced understeer on dry road. I have a mechanical rear locker on my 2wd tractor, and while it's better than nothing, it's just really not that helpful a lot of the time.

350outrage

Adventurer
One more comment..having both fronts pulling in 4wd with all that weight over the frt axle Really makes these vans perform in the muck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater