Custom 35 gallon gas tank for '09 Tacoma

Palehorse1

Observer
crap... now i need to drive to bend....

You say that like it's a bad thing. It's an excuse to "GO" as my two year old son would say with glee in his eye. Spending money on electrical stuff right now but still watching this thread as I'd certainly like one too.

steve103

Observer
called yesterday and talked with shane, nice guy. still only limited production. talked with him about the possibility of making some out of aluminum for the same price as steel, his is open to it but wants to make a few more before he changes material, 6 months or so was his answer. price for steel is 1800, he thinks the same for alu as well. so in about 6 months it sounds like he will be open to making them production not just single. keep your eyes open for this i know i will be moving on this then, just enough time to save the bucks.

OkieRunner

WOW. I've been debating between Taco and Tundra for my next rig, but thinking about 500+ miles per tank makes me happy! hmmmmmmmm

Ryan1975

Observer
Nice work!

Be careful if ever coming through the mexican boarder, they may think its a storage for drugs.

Good point...I don't know how easy or hard it is on a tacoma...but the bed for a Chevy S10 was only 6 bolts and a screw for the filler neck. I think it would pretty easy to remove a bed (after emptying out the whole truck, ugh) to demonstrate it was a gas tank...and only that.

barlowrs

Explorer
Good point...I don't know how easy or hard it is on a tacoma...but the bed for a Chevy S10 was only 6 bolts and a screw for the filler neck. I think it would pretty easy to remove a bed (after emptying out the whole truck, ugh) to demonstrate it was a gas tank...and only that.

If they are really concerned, they can run it through X-ray and should be able to see nothing inside.

OkieRunner

If they are really concerned, they can run it through X-ray and should be able to see nothing inside.

X-ray wont see through steel, unless they have something better than we use at the hospital. we don't have anything that will see through it, and infra-red is the only thing I knew of that would. and I don't think air-temperature drugs would show up on that either. I dunno?

barlowrs

Explorer
They do, it is how they search trains, semis, etc that cross. For major train and trucking routes they use hardmouted devices in buildings I beleive (Dont quote me though). For autos, etc, they have mobile devices. At the end of the day, the dogs will be the first to clear your tank, I wouldnt worry about.

Here is one of the CBP mobile units being used to scan during the super bowl:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom...lery/archives/2007_newsphotos/superbowl02.xml

cwvandy

Adventurer
Death Valley test

Just returned from a week long trip to Death Valley. Other than a small hiccup before we left (small amount of gas escaped via vent tube, entered charcoal filter and set off engine warning light---easy fix by installing a longer tube with a loop. No issues on 2K trip to DV and back to Bend) it was wicked great to have 40 gal tank. With Adventure trailer in tow, and especially off road on class 2 & 3 routes, gas mileage sucks. With 40 gallons there was no worry and no need to buy $6 a gallon gas at Furnace Creek (OK, actually "only" $5.85 for regular...ouch).
Most of time was spent traveling over the Mengal pass via Warm Springs Road (from the valley side). Because the additional weight is so low and almost on center line (front to back) I never could feel any difference in handling. My front end Bud built skip plates took some slight blows in short class 3 section at the top of Mengal pass, but not a scratch on the gas tank skid plate.
I cannot say enough about the quality of the build and install. When we encountered the warning light issue Shane at Custom Exhaust was on it, quickly figured out what had happened and did the fix for no charge.
All in all the tank addition was all I had hoped for. Next trip is White Rim Trail before the Expo in Flagstaff.

Attachments

• IMG_0768.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0805.jpg
    IMG_0805.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 77

shortbusadventure

Adventurer
My tank is almost done!

It is at the powder coater currently. They revised the tank and managed additional capacity, possibly 2 more gallons. They have also revised the vacuum line to the charcoal canister that the OP mentioned. The fab works is beautiful. I will try to get some pics.

-Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77