Diving in Head First!

FG Surfari

Adventurer
I considered the Toyos, but in the end, I went with the 37" BFG Mud Terrains. I have always been partial to BFG's, though.
That said, if you are fitting 37" tires, and your truck has AC, you are going to have to move the AC cooling fan/radiator unit a bit forward and a bit upward.
Otherwise, nice fit.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I believe that All Terrain Warriors had a parabiloc set-up available here in the US.

Correct, but any set I buy I would want matched to the weight of my truck, by corner. Deaver made custom springs and then still had to adjust the leaf packs.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Correct, but any set I buy I would want matched to the weight of my truck, by corner. Deaver made custom springs and then still had to adjust the leaf packs.

Hi Pugslyyy,

There is no problem with matching ATW parabolics to varied corner weights of a truck here in Australia and we must often do this but the logistics of offering this service in the US would rule it out .....obviously there is a chance that there will be some fine tuning with any custom suspension and that's fine when the truck is sitting in front of you but it would be far too hard to do this remotely.

Kind regards
John

alan

Explorer
MRW wheels are 'unrated' off-road only wheels (although plenty are in use on Fusos already), so NA ?

so what happens when the sh-- hits the fan?
I was amazed at the recent SEMA show most of the fancy wheels on the show vehicles are not tested or approved.

pugslyyy

Hi Pugslyyy,

There is no problem with matching ATW parabolics to varied corner weights of a truck here in Australia and we must often do this but the logistics of offering this service in the US would rule it out .....obviously there is a chance that there will be some fine tuning with any custom suspension and that's fine when the truck is sitting in front of you but it would be far too hard to do this remotely.

Kind regards
John

Thanks John - From what I've seen, your solution works really well in your major market. If I thought it would bolt on out of the box (like wheels) then I would seriously consider it. However, I'm pretty sure that it would not work without adjustment in my case.

pugslyyy

so what happens when the sh-- hits the fan?
I was amazed at the recent SEMA show most of the fancy wheels on the show vehicles are not tested or approved.

If we were talking an offroad vehicle (v. an overland vehicle) then I would be much more likely to use untested wheels. My risk tolerance would be much higher, because a lot of the time you are running trails to see what is going to break next, anyways.

For me, overland vehicles should be able to self support for extended periods of time, and the cost of failure can be much higher. This would make me much less likely to use anything other than a thoroughly tested solution on one.

yabanja

Explorer
I considered the Toyos, but in the end, I went with the 37" BFG Mud Terrains. I have always been partial to BFG's, though.
That said, if you are fitting 37" tires, and your truck has AC, you are going to have to move the AC cooling fan/radiator unit a bit forward and a bit upward.
Otherwise, nice fit.

Thanks for the tip! I was actually considering switching to a conventional style condenser mounted to the radiator. The location of the stock one seems like an afterthought. It is much too exposed for my liking. Anyone have any experience with relocation?

Hi Pugslyyy,

Kind regards
John

The ATW's are really nice, and if you start adding up the costs of custom shocks, bump stops, and springs the price isn't too bad, particularly when you consider the lack of other options and the development that has gone into them. I prefer to develop my suspension though as that is the fun of a project for me!

If we were talking an offroad vehicle (v. an overland vehicle) then I would be much more likely to use untested wheels. My risk tolerance would be much higher, because a lot of the time you are running trails to see what is going to break next, anyways.

For me, overland vehicles should be able to self support for extended periods of time, and the cost of failure can be much higher. This would make me much less likely to use anything other than a thoroughly tested solution on one.

I couldn't agree more, however these are coming from a reputable company and are very well built. I will have two spares, and intend to thoroughly test the vehicle in the rigors of Southern Utah and Colorado prior to any extended trips.

LukeH

Adventurer
If we were talking an offroad vehicle (v. an overland vehicle) then I would be much more likely to use untested wheels. My risk tolerance would be much higher, because a lot of the time you are running trails to see what is going to break next, anyways..
Wheeling maybe, overlanding definitely not. The aim is to keep going for as long as possible with as few technical issues as possible.
I don't even think it's about untested vs tested. Some off-highway kit is built more solidly than we would ever need. However as ALL*long distance travel vehicles use roads that others use it would simply be horribly irresponsible to use a wheel without qualification stamps. In a developed country where damage claims can be very high insurance companies will do everything in their power to avoid paying. An unrated wheel that breaks on the trail is one thing (annoying but you just,deal with it), but considering the speeds and the proportion of time spent on roads it's statistically more likely to fail or provoke a failure on a public road. If a third party is involved and a set of unqualified wheels negate the insurance payout you won't be a very happy camper...

yabanja

Explorer
Wheeling maybe, overlanding definitely not. The aim is to keep going for as long as possible with as few technical issues as possible.

I don't even think it's about untested vs tested. Some off-highway kit is built more solidly than we would ever need. However as ALL*long distance travel vehicles use roads that others use it would simply be horribly irresponsible to use a wheel without qualification stamps. In a developed country where damage claims can be very high insurance companies will do everything in their power to avoid paying. An unrated wheel that breaks on the trail is one thing (annoying but you just,deal with it), but considering the speeds and the proportion of time spent on roads it's statistically more likely to fail or provoke a failure on a public road. If a third party is involved and a set of unqualified wheels negate the insurance payout you won't be a very happy camper...

This subject has been covered at length in the srw conversion thread. Can we please move further discussion over there! Thanks!

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo

This subject has been covered at length in the srw conversion thread. Can we please move further discussion over there! Thanks!
Reply in the SRW thread HERE

yabanja

Explorer
Wheels/tires mounted.

Well, we are ready to rumble... New wheels 17x10 with 37x12.5 tires. Weight 121 lbs each. Original wheels/tires were 92 lbs each so I am actually saving 75lbs of unsprung rotating mass!
Initial impression gearing seems significantly improved and ride is more supple. Eager to do more driving for economy, top speed, and noise testing.

photo (29).jpg

theburtseoni

Observer
Maby it has already been covered- but I just read thru alot of this thread and thought to share that I have had springs made or modified by Boise Spring Works in Boise, Idaho. They have been in business since 1917 so they know a thing or two about springs.
Just putting out that info in case anyone in the PNW or close by needs springs made or modified.

yabanja

Explorer
Maby it has already been covered- but I just read thru alot of this thread and thought to share that I have had springs made or modified by Boise Spring Works in Boise, Idaho. They have been in business since 1917 so they know a thing or two about springs.
Just putting out that info in case anyone in the PNW or close by needs springs made or modified.

Awesome! I will check them out! Thank you!

DzlToy

Explorer
Well, we are ready to rumble... New wheels 17x10 with 37x12.5 tires. Weight 121 lbs each. Original wheels/tires were 92 lbs each so I am actually saving 75lbs of unsprung rotating mass!
Initial impression gearing seems significantly improved and ride is more supple. Eager to do more driving for economy, top speed, and noise testing.

View attachment 211114

How about a side shot of that when you get a second, along with tire clearance to the trim piece in the wheel well and also tire clearance to the bottom of the door if possible.

Truck looks good sitting on 37's. Fuso should have used a 33-35" tire stock. It eliminates the "big fat cab on little tires" look that so many stock NPR/Fuso trucks have here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater