Diving in Head First!

yabanja

Explorer
vibration off front prop shaft with increased angle after lift, possibly caused transfer box front oil seal to weep, hopefully bearings ok.

"odd" arrangement, seems to have two universals and a cv joint.

I don't have any vibrations. Took it on a lengthy 70 mph fwy drive last weekend.

Allan

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
At the same time I need to replace the bushings for the leaf packs, they are done and seem like a poor bushing to start with, I am looking at alternate material to make them out of, any one have ideas? Polly something??

Hi Yves,

We have tried lots of different urethane compunds but this is best......ATW Greaseable Front Shackle Kit.
image.jpg

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I am thinking that a container, for which these devices are designed for, would be considerably heavier than your camper box.
It's basically just a square peg in a square hole. Do you really need the suspension aspect of these devices? I would have thought that would be covered in the mounting of the tray to the chassis.

yabanja

Explorer
Unsprung weight

I am working on some custom valved shocks. Does anyone know what the front and rear axles weigh? (I really don't want to pull them off to weigh them if I don't have to!

Thank you!

Allan

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Given that ATW do suspension modifications all of the time, I am guessing that John would possibly be able to help you out here.

DzlToy

Explorer
I cant tell you what the axles weigh, but I can give you a way to get "pretty damn close" on the sprung versus unsprung weight if you have some time and a set of corner scales.

Weigh entire vehicle on corner scales and record all weights. Then raise the vehicle, preferably with a commercial lift or two large floor jacks could work also. Raise it up until the all four tires are just barely off the ground and set the vehicle on jack stands at that height. Now raise it up a bit more and put the corner scales under the tires, but dont raise the jack stands up any higher. When you set the vehicle back down on the jack stands, all of the sprung weight will be resting there and the unsprung weight will be "hanging" down onto the corner scales.

Of course is not as accurate and taking everything off and weighing it but with the total vehicle weight and the weight of only the tires touching the scales, you should have a pretty damn good idea of sprung versus unsprung weight.

yabanja

Explorer
One step at a time.

I redid the rear suspension this weekend. Earlier I had just lifted the rear with blocks to match the front. I built some 8 leaf spring packs(instead of the original 6) and eliminated the overload springs. The difference was immense. I am very happy with the results. It has greatly improved ride and articulation.

The ride is nearly to the point that I would call it acceptable. The last thing to do is order custom shocks.(just have to do a little more math with motion ratios and suspension frequencies!)

I took the truck on a trial run to the mountains this weekend.

The gearing split between 4th and 5th is horrible on long steep climbs. I wish it were feasible to change to a six speed transmission.

I ran the tires a 25 psi and the ride was quite nice. It really floats over everything. The off road performance was very impressive. In 4 low the vehicle is pretty much unstoppable. The rear limited slip works very well. Washboard roads were very nice with very little vibration being transferred into the cab. This vehicle really encourages you to slow down and take the back roads which is exactly what I had in mind. The steering wheel jerks badly over large bumps so a steering damper will be the next item to install.

Here are a few photos!

photo 2 (12).jpg
photo 3 (9).jpg
photo 1 (10).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues