Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
More on LED upgrades

Awhile back, I traded out my 05 tail light housings for some 2012 OEM's with the LED centers. Totally worth the upgrade and running/brake lights are super bright.

The electronic flasher relay (relay is located on the back side of fuse panel under dash - PITA factor 8) solved the fast blinking problem, but the yellow rear turn signal LED's I sourced from... cough... eBay... cough... Are underwhelming. I think they are maybe a hair less bright than stock incandescents and one stopped working altogether right after taking it out of the package. I will source some other 3157A's from super bright LED's and report back.

I will also upgrade the stock back up lights to some 400 lumen LED's ;)

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
New Years Eve 2013

Spent New Years Eve exploring Palomar Mountain to Lake Henshaw and across to Lake Hemet/Idylwild areas. Spent the night up on Thomas Mtn in the snow, temps got down into the teens that night... good times with my favorite trip partner :D

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0842-1.jpg

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
You probably have the longest experience with the 4.88 gears. So are you happy with them and your current set up or would you suggest a 4.56 or less?
Thanks in advance, Cam-shaft.

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Gears are a trade of no matter what you choose. I chose 4.88 for better power and lower first gear on the trail.

4.88= better power
4.56= slightly better mpg

That said, the 4.88's require a larger front third member so they are more costly to install. 4.56 will go in the stock third.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
None. The 255/85R16 will fit. Barely.

One thing though is that when I had the exhaust done we cut off that aft muffler hanger which enabled a bit more wiggle room under there for the tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77