Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

clcoyle

Explorer
Dave-

I am thinking about changing my gearing, do you still recommend the Nitro Gear 4.88s?

Thanks,

Christopher

The truck is eight years old now and has run some pretty long miles and rough trails as of November 2013. With 114k on the clock now, she's never left me stranded.

She still gets the job done and was the workhorse behind the 2013 SoCal Mountain Rendezvous

http://americanadventurist.com/Forum/showthread.php?870-Event-Report-2013-SoCal-Mountain-Rendezvous

View attachment 198859

View attachment 198861

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Yeah, I've had zero issues with these gears. That said, if I did it again I might (might) consider 4.56 for the lower highway RPM's but you know it's a trade off.

Off the line, or in 4LO on the trail the 4.88's rule.

WhiskeyTango0311

I keep coming back to look at your build over and over again for the past 6-8 months. Excellent job, it is a beautiful build. I picked up my 1st Tacoma last week (2011 DCSB 4x4), and look forward to stealing/borrowing some of your ideas.

Also, much love and respect to the Corpsmen out there, including you. Just knowing that you guys were stepping off on patrol with us, made our jobs that much easier and could do it with confidence. That and the fact that motrin and water cure anything. :)

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I keep coming back to look at your build over and over again for the past 6-8 months. Excellent job, it is a beautiful build. I picked up my 1st Tacoma last week (2011 DCSB 4x4), and look forward to stealing/borrowing some of your ideas.

Also, much love and respect to the Corpsmen out there, including you. Just knowing that you guys were stepping off on patrol with us, made our jobs that much easier and could do it with confidence. That and the fact that motrin and water cure anything. :)

:cool:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Timbrens. I've heard a lot about them. Timbrens vs airbags vs add a leaf vs super bumps. Made in Canada. Expensive. High Quality. Ad Nauseam.

Timbren was founded in 1965 on the premise that suspensions could and should work better. In that year it acquired the Canadian patent for rubber torsion suspensions. In 1968 Timbren introduced Aeon rubber springs and began manufacturing SES (Suspension Enhancement Systems) kits in 1982.

Located in Whitby, Ontario Timbren continues to be family owned and run.

http://timbren.com/

AllPro Offroad (Made in America, family owned and run) offers a nice U-bolt flip kit so I ordered it along with the Timbrens. This thread will provide some info on my experience with them on a second gen Tacoma (2005) rear suspension.

https://www.allprooffroad.com/05tacomarearsuspension

For starters, let's begin with the product itself

Action shots: Loaded vs Unloaded

Install of Timbren SES

To be continued...

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Looks good. Hows the full instal coming for the new rear suspension?

Easy stuff. Longer SS braided brake line is in, front end alignment is done. Waiting on the Timbrens to get here and I'll crack into it. Takes about an afternoon.

What is D.E.R.P. BTW?

getoutside

Observer
I am revisiting this thread after a long hiatus. I have tried to access the americanadventurist.com website but keep getting an error telling me I am forbidden. Can someone help my horribly non tech savy self get there?

V/R,

SFC Morgan Merrill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77