Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

tacollie

Glamper
I wasn't trying to alarm you. Any respirator you would use for shooting wet paint will be fine, nothing supper fancy. Any paint supply and even most hardware stores have them. If you keep it sealed up when its not in use it will last a lot longer and can be used over. I have talked to some guys who have shot POR-15 in "well ventilated areas" without masks and then wonder why they are coughing up black chunks for a week afterwords. Its more important with POR-15 because it reacts with moisture to harden. Thats why its great for those of us who don't have an air dryer and a blasting cabinet in our garages. If you take all the caution thats lots of people skip when they are shooting regular primer you will be fine.

Also, I am excited to see how your truck turns out. You are going to love the flippac.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
POR-15 Review

I am pleased to report that this stuff is a snap to use with a brush and a roller :)

I used the their Marine Clean degreaser/cleaner on the sliders after a good bath, and had two coats on with MUCH less fuss than the old spray can method I've been doing one to two times a year... what a relief! I also have their Metal Prep but decided against using it since 98% of the sliders still had paint on them vs. bare metal. While I was down there I hit up the frame rails too.

And, with a couple of coats of POR-15 and with a coat of their Chassis Coat over the top (it has the semi-gloss finish and UV protection) you could hit it with a hammer after its cured and probably not chip the paint. It reminds me of tractor paint.

I highly recommend this stuff for ease of use, now we'll see how it holds up ;)

Last edited:

DrJohn

Observer
Just catching up on this thread, which btw is beginning to rival War and Peace in length. This has got to be one of the best equipped tacos ever.

The rig looks even more awesome, Dave, and I cant wait to see it with the Flippac!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Can you post up a list of exaclty which of the POR-15 products you used?

Here is a link to what I purchased:
http://www.stoprust.net/POR-15-Mix-Pack-BLACKCOTE-p-30.html

I am using the POR-15 as a base coat with the Chassis Black as the top coat. I am using Marine Clean and Metal Ready for prep, although the Metal Ready is really only necessary for bad rust/bare metal IMO. Gloves, mask, and a few cheap small brushes and small disposable rollers with a small tray from the local hardware store and you are GTG.

BTW, the 4ox cans are quite small but the beauty of that is that it allows you to do individual sections with minimum waste of paint. It also makes it really easy to manage :)

I think I can hit up the sliders and most of the frame with this six pack, two six packs is PLENTY to do the entire frame and all.

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Just catching up on this thread, which btw is beginning to rival War and Peace in length. This has got to be one of the best equipped tacos ever.

The rig looks even more awesome, Dave, and I cant wait to see it with the Flippac!

Thanks! It has truly been a labor of love.

tacollie

Glamper
HI cant get the pictures to load right now. It never occurs to me that you can roll paint on a car. POR-15 tuff stuff.

tacollie

Glamper
Here are those pics. I really dig the no windows look. I included a pic of the inside. What are you going to do on the inside? I am going to add a plate form with drawers that is tall enough for the second battery.

Attachments

• DSCF10302.jpg
    DSCF10302.jpg
    753 KB · Views: 316
  • DSCF12692.jpg
    DSCF12692.jpg
    707.4 KB · Views: 252

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Here are those pics. I really dig the no windows look. I included a pic of the inside. What are you going to do on the inside? I am going to add a plate form with drawers that is tall enough for the second battery.

Thanks for posting those, it looks great. Once I get mine on and play with it for a few trips I will plan the interior, but I have a few ideas ;)

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
2009 Jayco Baja

Well, we took out the new trailer this weekend and it was awesome! :sombrero:

This is a great compromise for me (I still lust for an AT) but it is SUPER family friendly and the wife LOVES the fact that it has a sink, toilet, shower, stove, fridge, and an outside BBQ grill all in one neat package. She opted for the AC which turned out to be a blessing as it was blazing hot in SoCal this weekend!

Our plans for this platform include pavement and light dirt road usage, nothing extreme but it will make an excellent base of operations for trips to our great National Parks and many other areas :)

The truck pulls this with ease BTW, and once I add the AT FlipPac to this equation I will have the best of both worlds. The gear deck allows plenty of space for chairs, bikes, toys, firewood, etc. And, it is exactly 19.5 feet long so it fits perfectly in my garage.

100_0716.jpg

100_0714-1.jpg

100_0713.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner