Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

heeltoe989

Explorer
Well, we took out the new trailer this weekend and it was awesome! :sombrero:

This is a great compromise for me (I still lust for an AT) but it is SUPER family friendly and the wife LOVES the fact that it has a sink, toilet, shower, stove, fridge, and an outside BBQ grill all in one neat package. She opted for the AC which turned out to be a blessing as it was blazing hot in SoCal this weekend!

Our plans for this platform include pavement and light dirt road usage, nothing extreme but it will make an excellent base of operations for trips to our great National Parks and many other areas :)

The truck pulls this with ease BTW, and once I add the AT FlipPac to this equation I will have the best of both worlds. The gear deck allows plenty of space for chairs, bikes, toys, firewood, etc. And, it is exactly 19.5 feet long so it fits perfectly in my garage.

100_0716.jpg

100_0714-1.jpg

100_0713.jpg

Wicked trailer !

You'll love the OME for pulling that thing!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Thanks, I'll be doing a full review of the trailer after I've had it out a couple of times and have more experience with all the systems.

greg mgm

Explorer
Looking forward to the review of the trailer.
Please post interior pics!

Your Tacoma and trailer set up is soooper nice! Love it.

yeti_in_ga

SE Expedtion Society
sweet, I ended up going for the Starcraft 10rt, I felt that not having the added deck length would allow for easier towing. I think the tacoma does a really nice job. Your set up looks great. Cant wait to see some outing pictures.
DSC02826.JPG

Last edited:

Monty

Nice set up!

I have the same minus the A/C.

Just a thought... you might want to look into a weight distribution hitch. It will keep the whole set up level when loaded down with gear in the bed and front storage area of the Baja. The OME springs with the extra leaf will help, but if the front end lifts up too much you will be rubbing the fins of your CV boots.

IMG_0358-2.jpg

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Just a thought... you might want to look into a weight distribution hitch. It will keep the whole set up level when loaded down with gear in the bed and front storage area of the Baja. The OME springs with the extra leaf will help, but if the front end lifts up too much you will be rubbing the fins of your CV boots.

I'll be having AT look at my setup soon and I'm sure they will have a solution :costumed-smiley-007

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
New Tires

I did a bunch of research and shopping around, reading customer reviews etc and when it was all said and done I just couldn't justify passing up this deal:
http://www.performanceplustire.com/...r/16/productID/294/tireDataID/1455#prodAnchor

I paid $139 a tire for old school BFG MT KM's :Wow1:

I have one tire out of my 5 that is almost new (the spare I put on after the flat we had courtesy of metal debris picked up in Death Valley) so I only needed to purchase 4 of these vice 5 if I had chosen a different type of tire. I have over 40,000 miles on my current BFG MT tires (purchased new before the Expedition Trophy in 2006) with some of that on some of the roughest terrain in California so I know that I'm getting what I paid for with these. My overall experience with BFG tires over the last 20 years has been excellent.

All in all, I saved almost $600 going this route that can be used to buy diapers and other more important things for the family :)

Last edited:

deadbeat son

Explorer
Good tires and a great price. That's why I went with the old-school KMs as well. The size I ended up with can be found for <$400 for a set of four shipped.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Performance Plus Tires in Long Beach has my highest recommendation - these tires were at my doorstep less than 24 hours after I ordered them! OUTSTANDING shipping! :wings:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
AT FlipPac Is Ordered!

Today we placed our order with Mario for our FlipPac! :wings:

Color matched, trick LED lighting

The OME Dakar HD springs are already done, ready for the shell :)

It should all be done in time for cooler temps - desert season is coming!

This is going to be my "Poor Man's Earthroamer"

img_0321_letter%20size_std.jpg

Not this one... but close! -- Photo copyright Earthroamer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner