Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
4.88 Gears from East Coast Gear Supply

Look what appeared on my front doorstep today! :Wow1:

101_1187.jpg

Working with East Coast Gear Supply has been a pleasure, Chase has excellent customer service and these third members were built to my specs and on my doorstep in one week!

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/

Total cost for Nitro Gear 4.88 pre-built third members was $1,560.00 delivered, which includes the larger OEM Toyota 3.90 and up front carrier which is required for 4.88's :costumed-smiley-007

Now all I have to do is swap them out and ship the cores back to ECGS!

*EDIT: I had to pay $35 and $40 each for F/R diff cores to be shipped BACK to ECGS via UPS after the install. This was an additional cost that I forgot about until it was time to ship them back.*

Normally this would be an easy project for me, but since my arm is still broken (3rd surgery next month...) I'll be posting up a Wrench-a-Thon requesting some help from my fellow ExPo members soon :Mechanic:

Nitrohome3.jpg

New Nitro Gear 4.88's and old OEM 3.73's side by side
101_1348.jpg

Last edited:
I'll come hel....oh right, 3,000 miles away now.

Anyways, once you get those in I would love to hear your opinion on how they feel.

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The 4.88's are in!!! :wings:

Big difference in power, and in 1st gear 4LO it feels pretty creepy-crawly compared to the 3.73's (I need to figure out what my new crawl ratio is now)

A big thanks to McTaco, XJ Mike, pray4surf, ScenicWonderRunner, and cbradley for all the wrenching today...

...YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!
:bigbossHL:

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
I too have 3.73's in the hilux......do you regret not going to 4.5's ?

Aren't the 4.5's a stronger crown and pinion than the 4.8's ?

and will you take advantage of the new final drive ratio and go a taller tyre in the future?

I cant wait to have some spare cash for this mod! :drool::drool::drool:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Congratulations!

4.88s are the stuff :sombrero:

I love them, very glad I went 4.88 instead of 4.56.

The 4.88's are in!!! :wings:

Big difference in power, and in 1st gear 4LO it feels pretty creepy-crawly compared to the 3.73's (I need to figure out what my new crawl ratio is now)

A big thanks to McTaco, XJ Mike, pray4surf, ScenicWonderRunner, and cbradley for all the wrenching today...

...YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!
:bigbossHL:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Congratulations!

4.88s are the stuff :sombrero:

I love them, very glad I went 4.88 instead of 4.56.

These were the right choice IMO. They have returned the truck to it's stock feel... much more power leaving a stop sign or going up hill :)

I too have 3.73's in the hilux......do you regret not going to 4.5's ?

Aren't the 4.5's a stronger crown and pinion than the 4.8's ?

and will you take advantage of the new final drive ratio and go a taller tyre in the future?

I cant wait to have some spare cash for this mod! :drool::drool::drool:

No regrets at all! The 4.88 really move the truck well. Time will tell which gears are stronger.

No taller tires, I cant fit more without major trim work...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner