Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Nice ideas here for you build Doc. Viking Vince's looks huge inside with that camera angle... has me thinking about my next build, likely a pickup.

Zam15

Explorer
Looking forward to seeing your Taco with the new FlipPac. :drool:
It will be interesting to hear your opinion on the FlipPac vs your old RTT. :ylsmoke:

p.s. Best of luck with the surgery.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
New ETA on the FlipPac... 02OCT09 :drool:

Thinking of building a removable Chuck Box for the 'Pac, something like this one made by BirfMark:

chuckbox.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I spoke with Mario today, the AT FlipPac should be delivered to AT from FRP tomorrow, and then it is going in for some Silver Streak Mica paint.

Then, AT will wire the LED lighting and it will finally be ready for mounting.

I can hardly wait! :wings:

pray4surf

Explorer
New ETA on the FlipPac... 02OCT09 :drool:

Thinking of building a removable Chuck Box for the 'Pac, something like this one made by BirfMark:

chuckbox.jpg

Dave - If you need any help/assistance in building such a box, I'll be happy to lend my experience/tools....

Course, I might end up building two - as I need a chuckbox myself :ylsmoke:

Rick

WASURF63

Adventurer
I spoke with Mario today, the AT FlipPac should be delivered to AT from FRP tomorrow, and then it is going in for some Silver Streak Mica paint.

Then, AT will wire the LED lighting and it will finally be ready for mounting.

I can hardly wait! :wings:

Hey Doc,

I've followed the build up of your '05 Tacoma and I expect that you'll be treating us all to more of the same with the Flippac in the near future...

Re: The AT Flippac, what's the whole magilla gonna set you back (if you don't mind me asking) ?
I've been considering the same route since the guys at AT first let it out of the bag. My family has outgrown our current set up.

A PM would be fine. Thanks, WASURF63

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Hey Doc,

I've followed the build up of your '05 Tacoma and I expect that you'll be treating us all to more of the same with the Flippac in the near future...

Re: The AT Flippac, what's the whole magilla gonna set you back (if you don't mind me asking) ?
I've been considering the same route since the guys at AT first let it out of the bag. My family has outgrown our current set up.

A PM would be fine. Thanks, WASURF63

Approximate cost for the AT FlipPac was $3,800 for the shell, $290 for the rain fly, $600 for paint, and then I added the National Luna power pack and the LED lighting options which came out to another $700 or so. AT charges $200 for the install of the shell and lighting.

Costs for this were defrayed by the sale of my previous gen rack system and RTT plus some other underutilized gear so "out of pocket" expense was about half of the above amount.

Not an inexpensive upgrade, but this will put the vehicle at 95% complete once the interior fitment of the 'Pac is done, and I can finally start moving forward from the build aspect and focusing on TRIPS!!! :smiley_drive:

WASURF63

Adventurer
Thanks Doc,

Those were all the things I wanted to know. Can't wait to see how it looks on your rig. I'm plotting my own strategy as we speak, and hoping to offset the the cost of an AT Flippac by recycling some of my current expo gear as well. The "build aspect" is always fun, but never as fun as the TRIPS!

WASURF63

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
60,000 Mile Service

It's maintenance time.

Called the dealership in Temecula today and was quoted $415 for the required 60,000 service. :Wow1:

This covers changing fluids of front and rear diffs, T-case, transmission, engine oil & filter, air filter, engine coolant etc.

I prefer Toyota servicing, but I'm amazed that it could cost this much so I'm shoppin' around and I may consider a DIY job.

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
Once you DIY its hard to go back to paying someone to do it. I bet you can find a smaller shop to do it for a more reasonable price and may even take better care of it. Our dealerships here have been really unreliable, I was lucky enough to find a honest shop as an alternative.

RoundOut

Explorer
Once you DIY its hard to go back to paying someone to do it. I bet you can find a smaller shop to do it for a more reasonable price and may even take better care of it. Our dealerships here have been really unreliable, I was lucky enough to find a honest shop as an alternative.
Dave, most car-wash places with lube bays will also flush transmissions for $99. Do the rest yourself. Even with synthetic, the oil, lube & parts are going to run you +/- $100 and it only takes a couple hours and you know it is done right.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Dave, most car-wash places with lube bays will also flush transmissions for $99. Do the rest yourself. Even with synthetic, the oil, lube & parts are going to run you +/- $100 and it only takes a couple hours and you know it is done right.

I hear you, that's the direction I'm leaning but my arm is still in a cast... :smilies27

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner