Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
60,000 Mile Servicing

60,000 Mile Service (12OCT09):
New air filter, wiper blades, front and rear differential fluids. Transfer Case fluid changed.
- Did it myself at home, cost me $40 for fluids, $17 for the air filter, and $30 for wiper blades.

Engine Oil and filter, Transmission fluid flushed. New front brake pads, rotors machined, tires rotated.
- Done at Temecula Toyota Service Department. Cost me $408 OTD

I decided to service the transmission early due to the fact that it has seen hard service off road and has also pulled a trailer.

So, the truck is completely serviced with the exception of spark plugs which I will do shortly.

FLUIDS USED:
Diffs
Rear Diff - 3 QTS, APL GL-5 SAE 90
Front Diff – 2 QTS, APL GL-5 SAE 90

Transfer Case
Transfer Case - 1.1 US QT, APL GL-5 SAE 75-90

Engine Oil – SAE 5W-30, OEM recommended. 5.5 US QTS, 4.6 Imp QTS

ONLINE TOYOTA TACOMA FSM!http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/local...es/repair.html

Last edited:

Applejack

Explorer
Keep us posted if anything funny like slipping occurs with your transmission. That's what the service guys told me would happen if I serviced it too early.
If in a few weeks all seems cool with yours, than i think I just have mine done too.

ryguy

Adventurer
Keep us posted if anything funny like slipping occurs with your transmission. That's what the service guys told me would happen if I serviced it too early.
If in a few weeks all seems cool with yours, than i think I just have mine done too.

I've never heard of that before, i think they're blowin' smoke. :costumed-smiley-007 We flushed my buddys 06 taco with 55k, which has never been off road, and the fluid was black.

Applejack

Explorer
I thought so too, but as it turns out both our dealerships told me the same thing. I guess they could still be blowing smoke tho.

Shadow

I had my auto tranny flushed at 30 some odd thousand miles. After at least 10K more, no problems with tranny slipping.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I think having it properly serviced/flushed is the key.

Though I would like to do mine myself I'm considering a dealership job (or independent shop) hoping they will do it correctly.

I thought so too, but as it turns out both our dealerships told me the same thing. I guess they could still be blowing smoke tho.

mr.trd

Adventurer
Denso Replacement plugs from the dealer and evey 30,000 miles. They are your basic copper plugs. I am getting close to needing to do mine again.

Did you go with a drain and fill, or a flush, for the transmission.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Denso Replacement plugs from the dealer and evey 30,000 miles. They are your basic copper plugs. I am getting close to needing to do mine again.

Did you go with a drain and fill, or a flush, for the transmission.

Thanks. What gap are you setting them at or are they gapped at the factory?

I went with the full monty flush for the transmission, I wanted it cleaned out.

Applejack

Explorer
Thanks. What gap are you setting them at or are they gapped at the factory?

I went with the full monty flush for the transmission, I wanted it cleaned out.

They come pre-gapped if you buy them from toyota. I changed mine at 35k and think I'm about ready to do it again, though the first time I changed them they still looked great, so maybe the PO may have done it.

calicoupe

kinda late to the game but just finished the whole thread...great build!

I think I saw you on 405 south near rancho santa fe in the morning...should have honked!

:clapsmile

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
AT FlipPac Install Pics!

Pics courtesy of Martyn at AT!

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

Last edited:

18seeds

Explorer
looks AWESOME

How is the color match? Looks darker

How does it secure to the bed?

Is this an application where 2 people could remove it and put it on for trips? Or is this more of a permanant application?

Do you know what the overall height is?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner