Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Oh... cooler temps are just around the corner my friend and it's time to put some trails in check!

Congrats on the purchase!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Sounds great Doc.

Cooler camping, my wife loves it! :)

Today we placed our order with Mario for our FlipPac! :wings:

Color matched, trick LED lighting

The OME Dakar HD springs are already done, ready for the shell :)

It should all be done in time for cooler temps - desert season is coming!

Willman

Doc,

Great looking setup!

Question for ya.....without reading all 112 pages.....What gearing did you swap for?? How is the gearing with the new trailer? what does the trailer weight?

Thanks man!

:sombrero:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Today we placed our order with Mario for our FlipPac! :wings:

That is very exciting!
I have looked at a couple rigs with FlipPac's, and I think it is a really good way to go.

My only thoughts against them are that I wish they were made out of water-proof fabric so a separate rainfly was not needed. And I think it would be slick if it opened out over the back of the truck, creating a awning and leaving the roof of the cab open for a rack system.

But the pros outweigh the cons, and I would put one on my rig.

heliarcer

I too have not read all 112 pages but have you had any tire rubbing issues and if so did you do any trimming to accommodate the 255/85's? Also you switched to 4:88's was the car much of a dog with the stock gearing?

-S

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I too have not read all 112 pages but have you had any tire rubbing issues and if so did you do any trimming to accommodate the 255/85's? Also you switched to 4:88's was the car much of a dog with the stock gearing?

-S

I trimmed a small bit of plastic on the fender flare and removed the mud flaps, that's it. Some rubbing on the uca but most of us have that with this size - no negative impact other than a shiny spot on the uca :)

The 3.73's are too tall for these tires and all the armor.... add RTT and extra fuel/water/provisions and it is no bueno.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Retired the Hi-Lift Jack...

... In favor of a new ARB Bushranger X-Jack from Sierra Expeditions :)

http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Tow-Straps-And-Recovery-Gear/Exhaust-Jacks/46.aspx

My first impressions after playing with it were that it is very high quality and very well designed. Super easy to use, even for my wife if need be (the Hi-Lift was a no go for her).

I've had and used the old Hi-Lifts for years, but the sheer size and weight of it, and associated hassles and quirks that come with it left me looking for a different solution. When I saw an X-Jack being demonstrated I knew I'd found the the answer.

Lighter, faster, safer IMO.

Last edited:

heeltoe989

Explorer
I trimmed a small bit of plastic on the fender flare and removed the mud flaps, that's it. Some rubbing on the uca but most of us have that with this size - no negative impact other than a shiny spot on the uca :)

The 3.73's are too tall for these tires and all the armor.... add RTT and extra fuel/water/provisions and it is no bueno.

x2 on that!

snakeii

Observer
My only question is how much of a back pressure do these jacks create on the engine. Safe for the seals and rings?

... In favor of a new ARB Bushranger X-Jack from Sierra Expeditions :)

http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Tow-Straps-And-Recovery-Gear/Exhaust-Jacks/46.aspx

My first impressions after playing with it were that it is very high quality and very well designed. Super easy to use, even for my wife if need be (the Hi-Lift was a no go for her).

I've had and used the old Hi-Lifts for years, but the sheer size and weight of it, and associated hassles and quirks that come with it left me looking for a different solution. When I saw an X-Jack being demonstrated I knew I'd found the the answer.

Lighter, faster, safer IMO.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
My only question is how much of a back pressure do these jacks create on the engine. Safe for the seals and rings?

These have been around for a few years now and are in widesread use here and in EU and AUS... I haven't heard of any issues related to their use, but if the engine/exhaust is in poor condition the Jack will not work (but you can use it with an air compressor as a backup).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner