Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Spy Photos

securedownload12.jpg

securedownload1.jpg

upcountry

Explorer
It would be stellar to figure out a way to mount a LPG container under the rear quarter fender - there is some wasted space up under there.

I like how the fender wrap on the bumper sticks out far enough to be used as a step.

Curiously, what gauge material are they using on that?

Strong work, looking forward to some more "bigger pictures".

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
More progress, more pics

Looks like the swingout will be going on next week and then all the finer details will be added and then off for powder coat... stay tuned ;)

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
More progress...

Getting the swingout dialed in. This configuration allows for 2 or 4 cans (your choice) as well as propane, pioneer tools and Hi-Lift. Stout, traditional tow hitch as well as recovery points and Hi-Lift jack friendly. An optional spare tire mount can be attached in the center as well (2 spares anyone?)

Next up will be a receiver on the swingout for attaching a Thule or Yakima bike rack, LED rear back up/camp light and fold down aluminum table.

2-1.jpg

Bumper requirements:

1. OEM quality tow hitch
2. Trailer wiring plug provision
3. Recovery points x2
4. Hi-Lift jack points x2
5. Thule/Yakima bike rack compatible with hitch attached to swingout
6. 4WD Mud flap attachment
7. Provision for 2 LED rock light pods at corners

Swingout requirements:

1. 2 AT aluminum can carriers
2. Aluminess shovel/axe mount
3. AT aluminum propane bracket
4. Flip down aluminum table
5. LED back up light mounted center on stalk
6. Provision for propane hose and wire harness flex at hinge
7. Lockability. Locks closed and open.

Last edited:

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
Looking very nice. Yea moving the spare back under the truck just makes sense. I just did the same. Better CG location, keep cg low and closer to the axle, got rid of some of the unnecessary rock and roll. I suppose one could do a skid that pulls up with the spare tire, more for tire protection not really to skid on. Now you have room for more gear (weight) on swing out. I like it!
Cam-shaft.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Looks great Dave, I am concerned, only question is you have mounts for the fuel cans ect. I see no mounts for the Snow Peak equipment!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal